It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:39 am

Free Newsletter

Don't Starve

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Don't Starve

Postby Dolly » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:20 am

A lot of people try to get to their goals faster by cutting their food intake down, instead of eating healthy and slowly getting to their goal.

The dangers are that firstly they will not be consuming enough iron and protein so their hair will start to get fine and fall out (can be reversed)
They may then notice their teeth are weak due to a lack of calcium.
and the most dangerous of all is that if they starve themselves of proper nutrition for long enough, they may die of heart failure as their body eats away at their heart muscles.
(reference Fatloss & Fitness the Isaac Way by Rick Isaac and Eamon Murphy)
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:24 am

I can only agree. When I started to really attempt to lose weight, the first thing I did was drastically reduce what I was eating. The result was:

1: I put ON weight as my body thought it was starving and was storing anything and everything I put in it.
2: Exercise became impossible as I had no energy to do it and my blood sugar was too low so i got all weak and shakey.

I'm now attempting to eat healthy food with small healthy snacks to keep my blood sugar and energy levels ok and am losing small amounts of weight each week.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby dragonfly » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:17 pm

I agree. thats why diets that are very low in calories cant be sustained,a dn its not something you can do to help change your life style.
I think a combination of exercise (for those able to do it) and lowering calories is good. I like weightwatchers as the more weight you lose the lower amount of points you get to have each day. you dont start off with eating only 1000 calories.
karin
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg
dragonfly

Postby kymbahlee » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:16 pm

After a particularly heinous breakup I lost 13 kilos in 8 weeks by basically not eating anything but vegetables. I got so sick with tonsilitis the doctor couldn't figure out what was wrong with me and thought I had glandular fever. It took me 3 months to recover and, of course, I put on even more weight than I had lost qucikly after.
The thing that made me the maddest was not one person said 'Hey Kim, I'm worried about how much weight you've lost and how little you're eating.' People only commented on how good they thought i looked.
kymbahlee

Postby Dolly » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:39 am

Oh kim, how awful that must have been.

Dolly

Postby marie » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:22 am

that's terrible no one could tell how unhappy you were kim, goes to show apearences are more important than feelings. by the way does anyone know how much is enough calories you should be eating a day to lose weight. :)
marie

Postby Dolly » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:58 am

Hi Marie,
Here is a calculator to work out how many kilojoules or calories a person should be consuming to lose weight healthfully.
Click Here - http://www.weightloss.com.au/weight-los ... ulator.htm

Of course because of my hypothyroidism I have to eat a lot less than recommended or I will gain weight.
Dolly

thanks

Postby marie » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:17 am

gosh dolly you are really helpful glad i joined the site :)
marie

Return to Diet Talk