It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:49 am

Free Newsletter

Biscuits

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Biscuits

Postby Serena » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:53 pm

Does anyone have a recipe for some really nice diet friendly cookies? On these really cold winter days there's nothing better than a nice hot cuppa with some sweet bikkies (so says I, anyway) but I'm very concerned about the contents of some of the off-the-shelf varieties. Lots of sugar and fat are no good for my diet obviously, but I sometimes share my bikkies with the dog and she just goes totally nutso for them which makes me wonder what other nasties might be hiding in there that aren't specified in ingredients. All these obscure numbered chemicals being passed off as 'flavour' that you see on current affairs shows - it's quite scary really. So if anyone has some nice, healthy old-fashioned cookie recipes it would be much appreciated.
Serena

Postby Maraver » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:28 pm

Ok will have a looksy for you
Pam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Postby emma21 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:09 pm

What about a slice? I have one here that only has 0.4g of fat per serve (i think) and I cant remember the sugars... but it tastes okay

Emma :)
emma21

Postby Serena » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:59 pm

A slice recipe might be even better because you'd be less inclined to eat them all at once - hopefully!
Serena

Postby emma21 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:13 pm

Tooty Fruity Squares

Makes 16 Squares

Base:
1 x 440g can Traditional Fruit Salad in Natural Juice (Golden Circle)
2 egg whites
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon bicarb soda
1/2 cup apple sauce (in jar)
2 cups SR Flour
Cooking Spray

Icing:
1 cup Icing sugar
1 teaspoon (5g) Flora Light margarine
about 1 to 2 tablespoons save juice

Directions:

Preheat oven to 180 degrees fan forced

To make base: Drain fruit salad, saving the juice for the icing. In a medium size mixing bowl beat egg whites and sugar for 1 minute using an electric beater. Stir bicarb soda into apple sauce (it will froth) then add to bowl. Add drained fruit salad and combine ingredients. Gently fold sifted flour into mixture in one go, treat this mixture as if a sponge DO NOT BEAT as this will make the cake tough. Pour mixture into a slab tin coated with cooking spray. Bake 25 minutes or until firm to touch in centre.

To make icing: When slice has cooled place all icing ingredients into a small mixing bowl, combine well. Spread evenly over top of slice. Once set, cut into 16 squares.

Nutritional Information:

Per Serve
Fat: Total - 0.4g Saturated - 0.1g
Fibre: 0.9g
Protein: 2.3g
Carbs: 26.4g
Sugar: 13.8g
Sodium: 132 mg
Kilojoules: 490 (cals 117)
GI Rating: Medium

Recipe taken from Symply too Good to be True 3 by Annette Sym

P.S. When I made this I put individual serves in the freezer... it seems to keep alright

Emma :)
emma21

Postby Serena » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:20 pm

Thanks for the recipe Emma. I'll give it a bash over the weekend and let you know how I went.
Serena

Postby emma21 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:08 pm

I think they taste okay. Just something to have with a coffee or something in the afternoon or maybe just something in the evenings while you are watching tv (without all the fat and kilojoules - yay!)

Emma :D
emma21

biscuits/slice

Postby SURVIVOR! » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:39 am

I am trying your receipe too Emma. I was happy to find it. Both for myself and my 5 year old. He is very hyperactive and trying to change his diet rather than drugs. Working ok but he needs a replacement for biscuits and stuff like that. So you never know it may well be a godsend for us both!. I have been making low fat, low sugar low preserative (not too many and not the worse ones 282,160b,621 & 635) but he does not like them too much. Wish me luck!
SURVIVOR!

Return to Diet Talk