It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:52 pm

Free Newsletter

Great Aussie Diet

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Aussie Diet

Postby HappyBella55 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:21 pm

Hi Guys,

Tomorrow I am going to start the 'Great Aussie Diet'. This is the basic concept of the diet.

The Great Australian Diet focuses on four key points and advocates getting back to basics:

1)Basic and bonus foods — BASIC food is plant (vegetables, fruits, nuts, grains, seeds) BONUS food is not.

2)Two-thirds of your diet should be BASIC and one-third should be BONUS.

3)Rule of 15 — eat small amounts of at least 15 plant foods every day — plant food includes fruits, vegetables, nuts and grains.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this diet or have heard good/bad reviews on it?

I am hoping this will help with my emotional eating (explained in intro)
HappyBella55

Postby madeline » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:43 pm

Sounds like the fruit diet... but more complicated... what's 2/3? what if you have 4 meals, how many are bonus?

hehe i guess you're just going to eat less meat, dairy and sugar yeah? I don't get the 15 serves thing.
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)
madeline

Postby HappyBella55 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:09 pm

Here is an excert I found on the net:

Great Australian Diet Overview
After studying the eating habits of cultures throughout the world, Dr John Tickell has come up with The Great Australian Diet (GAD) a 91 day program that promises to help our eight participants shed over 300 kilos between them.
The main focus of the diet is the three ACE Skills:

1. Activity
2. Coping
3. Eating

1. Activity:

A major factor in the Great Australian Diet is movement, but unlike most diets you only have to move (walk) for one percent of your time. That works out to be 100 minutes a week.

Every couple of days do SBWs (Strong is Better than Weak), which are strengthening exercises.
Every couple of days you do OUMs (Other Useful Movements) which are stretching exercises.
The SBWs and the OUM’s are in essence the great B.A.T. Exercises - Bottom, Arms and Tummy.
2. Coping:

The GAD is the only program that awards points for laughing, hugging your kids, watching a sunset and for being good to others.
It outlines a list of activities that participants should include in their lives and encourages you to do at least one or two each day.
3. Eating:

The Great Australian Diet focuses on four key points and advocates getting back to basics:

Basic and bonus foods — BASIC food is plant (vegetables, fruits, nuts, grains, seeds) BONUS food is not.
Two-thirds of your diet should be BASIC and one-third should be BONUS.
Rule of 15 — eat small amounts of at least 15 plant foods every day — plant food includes fruits, vegetables, nuts and grains.
4. Food should be low HI (Human Interference Index) rather than Low GI:

The Human Interference Index (HI) means how much or how badly have humans interfered with your food, changing it from natural to not-so-natural

I am reading the book at the moment - but basically it is eating as much food that has little or no human interference ie lots of fruit and veg.

Two-thirds of a whole is what it means. So basically have to eat 2/3 of fruit and veg a day.

What is a fruit diet? Do you eat fruit all day?
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby yummymummy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:15 pm

sounds like it could really work for people who need a little freedom in their diet- I need structure, otherwise I go of track too easily.
let us know how it goes!
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby HappyBella55 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:39 pm

I've been reading the book, it's a bit all over the place and has a lot of his whacky banter and you really have to pay attention to get the gist of what Dr John is advocating.

The first week is very structured and hard core (the detox phase) but after the first week you just eat as much unrefined food as possible. Which suits me as I love cooking and experimenting with recipes, especially vegetarian dishes. It's just getting off my lazy behind and getting motivated to cook lol.

But lots of leeway with the type of dishes you can cook, just as long as you adhere to the basic principal.

I can't follow too much of a structure, it's in my nature to want to rebel and do the complete opposite. I think this is what i need to get me going.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby yummymummy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:22 pm

oh you rebal!! Im such a square :lol:
I love the unrefined side of the diet, you will feel so much healthier keeping refined crap out of your diet
goodluck!
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Return to Diet Talk