It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:52 pm

Free Newsletter

Those darn carbs!

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Those darn carbs!

Postby oostevens » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:06 pm

ok, so calorie king says my diet is pretty much over 50% carbs, per day.

I don't know how much of your daily food intake is meant to be carbs, and if mine is like way over, how do i decrease that?

I do not want to go on a low carb diet, i just want to decrease the carb intake.

I also have a low amount of protein.
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

oostevens

Postby loveat116 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:41 pm

Eat more protein!

I make sure I have some at every meal. And protein is highly thermic, which means you burn calories just by eating it (you burn 30-40% of the total calories just by eating it.)

Maybe eat less bread? If its complex carbs (vegies, wholegrains, oats) then they're good! Just avoid simple carbs like sugar and starch.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Re: Those darn carbs!

Postby tamlee » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:12 pm

oostevens wrote:ok, so calorie king says my diet is pretty much over 50% carbs, per day.

I don't know how much of your daily food intake is meant to be carbs, and if mine is like way over, how do i decrease that?

I do not want to go on a low carb diet, i just want to decrease the carb intake.

I also have a low amount of protein.

I have the same problem, but after checking what I had done wrong it was the bread. Remember carbs aren't bad as long as your eating the good carbs like grains etc.
If you want to increase your protein chicken does the trick and it doesn't have carbs :)
Take a look on Google and check what is the right amount of Carbs is right for you everyone is different and I found that there is a huge variation between the lowest amount of carbs I could have a day and the highest I'm not stressing about it after reading.
I found that there are so many wives tales about carbs its quite interesting reading about them.
Hope this helped.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wlFCALM/]
[/url]
tamlee

Postby SarahC » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:24 pm

I have the opposite problem, my carb intake is always less than 20%, generally around 15% is standard for me :shock:

All I can suggest is what's been mentioned so far. Get in all the protein you can and ditch the sugars and white carbs. Go the veggies and wholegrains for the carbs :D
SarahC

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:00 pm

after taking a squiz at your food diary, your carbs are coming from
starches: weetbix, crackers. Weetbix is ok and crackers can be alright so long as they're limited and are perhaps wholemal/grain
Sugars - your coke/pepsi/bikkies (also starches) and more than likely the yoghurt which appears to be flavoured. You have to watch yoghurt as they tend to stack the flavoured ones with sugar, especially if they are "fat free'.

Carbohydrates are the fuel your body runs on so you need some. They can be divided into ow and hi glycaemic (sp?) index. Hi GI has a quick burn effect and includes simple sugars and processed starches (white bread etc). These simple starches are broken down rapidly into sugars which are absorbed quickly.

Low GI foods are a slow burn. They release the energy over a longer period of time. These are things like wholemeal flours and grains, found in vegetables etc. They get broken down in a similar way, but it takes longer so the energy goes further.

end advice? avoid high processed foods. Stick with fresh foods as unrefined as possible. the more control you have over a food's preparation the better.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby oostevens » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:19 pm

UMM OK :)

i dont have bread too much and i have started on these soy and linseed crackers :)

its a bit hard to have all the fress stuff, specially since i am on the go all day, and have a husband who i gotta cater for :p and our foods go bad quickly (including bread) but i cook my vegies for dinner and lunches/snacks are a hard one too so yeah....i try lol

i spose its not gunna kill me :P and i m losing weight so yeah. i try to eat better with carbs but yeah its a tad hard for me lol
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

oostevens

Postby oostevens » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:21 pm

oh what yoghurt shoud i be having? i dont like plain/vanilla and we try and get the cheapest cos of money and all that, we cant afford all the really good stuff
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

oostevens

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:43 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to write an essay! :lol: I just find sometimes with all the carb hype around, people lose sight of what carbs really are. Practically everything gets broken down eventually into carbs, it just depends on how long that process takes.

I get Tamar ridge no fat plain yoghurt (ie. no flavouring - not entirely sure how they manage the no fat, but it's pretty darn good - I like it over most normal brands) If you don't like plain yoghurt you can flavour it yourself with a bit of honey (which is also sugar don't forget) or some banana or strawberries or something. Fruits still have sugars, but they tend to have less than added sugar and have the benefit of vitarils and minimums (as my bloke says) and fibre. And the beauty of that is you KNOW what is in it.

Oh and I double checked your food diary and some of your soft drinks are diet so are likely to contain an artificial sweetener like aspartame which have no calories at all and are not sugars. So you can forget about those. But check the nutrition label just to be sure

It may well be that if your percentage of carbs is high, it's just because you are not eating much of anything else rather than having too much carbs per se (remembering that % is how much that thing takes up of your overall diet, not a firm amount like grams)
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby oostevens » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:19 pm

YEAH my hubby is a big pepsi max drinker so i know that its ok :P and we checked the diet vanilla coke and that is also ok. I dont drink much softdrink so i am doing alright there :p

hehe honey in yoghurt???? ewwwwwwww

i might get some plain yoghurt and add passionfruit....my fave fruit!
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

oostevens

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:27 pm

you can buy that ski honey buzz yoghurt if honey in yogurt is your thing :) but dont know what its like calorie wise. i hate yogurt altogether
kate_turner2000

Return to Diet Talk