It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:44 am

Free Newsletter

Foods that keep you fuller?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Foods that keep you fuller?

Postby shelbel » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:23 pm

Hi people, im just wondering what are some foods that will keep me fuller for longer? As in lunch type meals (although im no stranger to eating weetbix for lunch!) Im finding it hard to get through the afternoon without excessive snacking!!

Any ideas would be helpful! :D
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:24 am

anything high in protein and fibre. the combo will help you feel full. So maybe a salad sandwich with some egg or tuna. Hommous and carrot sticks are good.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby loveat116 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:13 am

I have been having a toasted tuna and cheese sandwich for lunch.

2 Slices wholemeal bread, 1 tin tuna, 20grams cheese.

Has been keeping me really full, probably cause of the protein and fiber.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby slimmindown » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:16 am

perhaps you could have a healthy mid arvo snack, it might make it less tempting to grab the wrong thing for tea, I've found this has helped me. A handful of nuts,a piece of fruit or a cup of soup maybe 8)
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby sassi » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:34 am

i used to have a lot of salads that i made myself - with a small tin of tuna & salmon. i found that kept me a lot fuller than i expected.

i also like soup for lunch, the only thing i've found is that most of the canned soup is very high in sodium.

i quite like sushi & a cup of miso (with tofu) for lunch.

otherwise, i often have a more substantial afternoon or morning snack to balance things out - like vitawheats with a tin of tuna.
sassi

Postby SarahC » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:01 am

I agree with everything said so far. Definitely load up on the protein and fibre! Nuts are strangely filling, I find I only need a small handful. And home made soup for some reason as well..

I wouldn't consider fruit to be a filling snack. You might be different, but I find that I always feel hungrier after I have eaten fruit than beforehand!

Definitely try and plan a snack between lunch and dinner (and between breakfast and lunch for that matter) - it's a long time to go without eating.
SarahC

Postby lng86 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:43 am

What are you eating for lunch at the moment?

I find that eating two slices of 9 grain bread (original) keeps me full for a long time. It's also available in wholemeal now! I usually have cheese... baby spinach leaves and ham/turkey or tuna.

Whenever I am at home for lunch I usually make a homemade pizza. I use one slice of wholemeal lebanese bread, one tablespoon of tomato paste, 1/2 red capsicum, 1/2 green capsicum, button mushrooms, 2 slices of ham, and 2 kraft free singles on mine. You can literally put whatever you want on yours! I stack up the vegies because it keeps you full for a long time and they are generally considered a free food. Give it a go!
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:45 am

i agree with lauren about the pizza idea. i stack heaps of vegies on especially tomato! i love the stuff lol. annette syms has a recipe where you use chicken breast as the base instead of bread- very filling and also cuts out carbs
kate_turner2000

Postby shelbel » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:06 pm

Hey thanks for the suggestions. Once again you guys come through with the goods! LOL

I try to have something different everyday because i get bored of sandwiches! I have things like soup, tin spag, etc and i do snack in the afternoon, but im finding im snacking too much. Maybe i should start having a pensioners dinner at 5pm then a supper type snack a bit later.

I often have pita bread pizzas, but more for dinner cos i woud have to zap them at work and they'd be soggy :(

Maybe i should look at having a small amount of meat ie chicken or tuna at lunch instead of sliced lunchoen meat.
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

shelbel

Postby sassi » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:11 pm

i reckon when it comes to meat the less processed the protein is, the better/more filling (although that could just be psychological hehe).

what about splitting your lunch in half - have half at 12 (for eg) and then the other half at 2 & then a small snack at 4?

also, have you ever tried protein powder? i find a protein shake can be quite filling as a snack & often quite low in cals.
sassi

Postby lng86 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:13 pm

On weekends have the homemade pizza then!

I think having tinned tuna or salmon for lunch is yummy - and satisfying. I guess you should mix it up a bit for variety. You don't want to get bored... Instead you want to look forward to lunch!

Maybe you should even have a small salad with your sandwich? It's considered a free food and then you would be consuming a little more.
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby shelbel » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:50 pm

I think splitting it could be an idea, as that too would cut down on snacking. Part of my problem is my work hours as i start at 7am im hungry around 9, but its not 'time' for lunch then! :roll: I think i need to get my over the concept of its ok to eat lunch at 10am!!

Salad on the side would be great, being free, but im not that much of a vegie fan and like a child, i'll do all i can to avoid them! LOL

Thanks heaps, you've given me some great suggests and now i know what i'll be having for lunch on the weekend! :wink:
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

shelbel

Postby loveat116 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:55 pm

shelbel wrote:I think splitting it could be an idea, as that too would cut down on snacking. Part of my problem is my work hours as i start at 7am im hungry around 9, but its not 'time' for lunch then! :roll: I think i need to get my over the concept of its ok to eat lunch at 10am!!

Salad on the side would be great, being free, but im not that much of a vegie fan and like a child, i'll do all i can to avoid them! LOL

Thanks heaps, you've given me some great suggests and now i know what i'll be having for lunch on the weekend! :wink:

Can you eat breakfast later?

I eat my breakfast when I get to work at 9am, and I dont feel hungry till lunch.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby shelbel » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:48 pm

Good suggestion Ella, thanks! But i dont think i can as i have to drive 30mins to work, then when i get here there's lots to do first off and i think it would be too for me to go. Im very much a breakfast person and get weak and cranky if i dont get my weetbix! LOL But in thinking more about it, maybe i could increase my breakfast by 1 'brick' !

Its all trial and error! :D
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

shelbel

Postby BusyMum » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:49 pm

You could try porridge for breakfast? It sits in the stomach and makes you feel fuller longer.

And I found a good snack is rice crackers and salsa. On weight watchers, 10 rice crackers is 1 point and salsa is free. Pretty good I think and it fills me up. Might be an idea if you are looking for a guilt free afternoon snack?
Angela.
Mum to 2 girls, 22months, and 6 months.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiWIiQF/]
BusyMum

Next

Return to Diet Talk