It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:20 pm

Free Newsletter

Marshmallows, yes or no?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Marshmallows, yes or no?

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:33 pm

Sometimes when I feel like something sweet is it okay to have marshmallows. I know that they are high in sugar, but they have no fat, so are they okay or not? I thought maybe marshmallows might be better than chocolate.

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:35 pm

Deny yourself nothing! If you feel like a couple of marshmallows make sure you do some exercise to compensate it.

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:55 am

Nothing should be absolutely forbidden, but you have to be careful not to replace one bad habit for another. Yes, they have less fat, but they are full of sugar which, if not burned off, are a lot of energy (calories and kilojules) converting to good ol' jubbly bits. Then you have to ask yourself, if you really feel like chocolate and say "no you can only have marshmallows" will you then eat twice as many as you would becasue you still want the chocolate (I found that's what I did)?

And chocolate itself isn't off limits either. If you really really crave it, try switching to a higher cocoa percentage chocolate. I have 85% cocoa Lindt chocolate sitting in my fridge which I have a nibble on when I crave a cocoa fix. Far less fat and sugar with the addition that you can't eat the whole block in 1 sitting. Or make a cup of hot cocoa made mostly from hot water and unsweetened cocoa with a little vanilla essence and some low fat milk - this also has the benefit that it's mostly water which will also help to make you feel full.

Also, if you find you crave sweet things a lot, try taking a look at your diet and seeing if there's anywhere you can balance it better. A balanced diet with lots of low GI foods providing your sustenance will even out the blood sugar swings which can make you crave.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Return to Diet Talk