It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:03 am

Free Newsletter

3 meals vs. 6 meals?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

3 meals vs. 6 meals?

Postby BusyMum » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:47 am

I am just curoius whether most of you only eat 3 meals a day with/without snacks. Or of you have 5-6 small meals a day? What is best in regard to weight loss and it is different for each person? Is there any right or wrong answer?
Angela.
Mum to 2 girls, 22months, and 6 months.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiWIiQF/]
BusyMum

Postby loveat116 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:07 am

Well eating 5-6 smaller meals a day keeps your metabolism going, prevents you from snacking or binging cause you never really get hungry.

You dont have to eat meals though. I eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day, and I rarely get hungry.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:19 am

i eat three main meals with snacks after lunch :)
kate_turner2000

Postby sassi » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:20 pm

i eat my normal 3 meals & then have snacks as well. i pretty much always have a morning snack & depending on how full i am from lunch, usually an afternoon one also.

i do most of my exercise in the evening so sometimes i'll have a snack post-exercise if i'm really hungry.

i personally think it's better because i can keep my energy levels balanced throughout the day as well as using portion control - i.e. i'll have a smaller lunch because i know i'm going to eat again in a couple of hours. if that makes sense!
sassi

Postby Ally » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:39 pm

I have tried both ways and for me I find having 6 small meals each day works the best....that way I am not hungry between meals and my body knows it can burn fat as it is not looking for its next meal!! I generally have something like a piece of fruit and or yoghurt or some sakata crackers with cheese, an oven baked fruit bar or something like that for a snack.....nothing heavy, just a light meal to see me through until the next main meal time....I also don't have anything too heavy at night time....If I have anything at all it is usually a glass of milk but if I am hungry after dinner I will have a small piece of fruit.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby hushpuppy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:04 am

i have three meals most days with snack in between ie snack being piece of fruit or small cup of yogurt . I depends on my uni hours but it try to stick to that and i have 1 bad meal a week which could be takeaway ie kfc burger ect . But i can only do this if i have stuck to my regime for the week . It keeps me on track and i know if im good ill get a treat . When the weight goes down more i will replace the food treat with something other then food
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby luse_it_all » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:44 am

hmm, well, I mostly get 2 meals a day :?

I know that sounds stupid, but I never have time 4 breakfast, and I get sick when I eat for breakfast.. I am never really sure about what is best to eat...

It's a heavy lunch most of the time, and snacks all throughout till dinner, and dinner is pretty light, but sometimes fatty, and I have it pretty late.. like 9 pm or 10...

I got my scheduling all wrong, but tht's cuz I am used to it..
so.. what should I do..!! and what do u advise me for snacks..??
I hear nuts are alright, as long as it's not too much.. hmm, I rarely have fruits.. I drink LOADS of water normally...
luse_it_all

Postby vanessa0305 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:37 am

You really need to eat breakfast, even something small. Your metabolism stays slow after sleep until you eat or exercise. These are the only two ways to increase metabolism. Now if you're not eating until lunch thats quite a few hours that your body could be burning fuel at the higher rate (therefore burning more) and you would be less likely to have such a heavy lunch.

As for snacks: fruit, vegie sticks, wholegrain crackers with low fat topping, yogurt (low fat), small amounts of nuts, WW make some nice low cal snacks.
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby SarahC » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:08 am

I'll second that... breakfast is an absolute must. It gets your metabolism going for the day, and prevents you from getting too hungry and having to eat a massive lunch! Maybe try a shake or a smoothie, if it's the solid food making you feel sick... anything is better than nothing :)
SarahC

Postby luse_it_all » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:17 pm

Thanx Vanessa, Thanx Sarah..

I will try.. I KNOW that if I start having breakfast it'll make a difference, SO, I will figure out a way to have something every morning..

I think the smoothie sounds great... :D
I'll buy me some crackers today! 8)

Thanx again!
luse_it_all

Postby Tummygirl » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:26 pm

I am always in a rush in the mornings so a while ago i started having my breakfast at work. This way i get a little bit of walking in before i get to work and i can sit down at my desk and enjoy what im eating( well try to). :lol:
Cassie xox

Starting Weight 140 kg
Loss To Date 5 kg
Current Weight 135 KG
Tummygirl

Postby luse_it_all » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:29 pm

sounds great.. when I was in college (about 4 months ago) I had a sandwitch or something to drink when I woke up in the morning, and then have a good lunch, and dinner was very light.. and so was I :P

but now am going to do it.. I WILL DO IT .. hehehehe
luse_it_all

Re: 3 meals vs. 6 meals?

Postby help6363 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:41 pm

BusyMum wrote:I am just curoius whether most of you only eat 3 meals a day with/without snacks. Or of you have 5-6 small meals a day? What is best in regard to weight loss and it is different for each person? Is there any right or wrong answer?

I eat six small meals a day!

I think it is meant to help with weight loss, something about the metabolism.

My advice is find something that works for you ....... we are all different. Wish washy answer, huh?

Look forward to reading your success story in the near future! :D
help6363

Return to Diet Talk