It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:15 am

Free Newsletter

The water insanity

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

The water insanity

Postby Bread-Monster » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:44 pm

ARGH! I don't get it! Why drink 2L of water a day? It sounds insane and can't be good for you. First of all why force yourself to drink when you're not thirsty? Secondly, we get water in our fruits and vegetables, thirdly, aren't you just overloading your kidneys with unnecessary work?

First of all, I drank 2L of water yesterday and every 40 minutes I had to go to the toilet. Now, I'm the sort of person who hates going to the toilet because I have to undo the buttons in my jeans and pull them down so i would hold until I'm bursting. Back when early man was still being preyed on by predators, drinking 2 L of water a day would be BAD because they'll have to stop every 40 minutes to pee. The more you have to urinate, the higher your chances of turning into someone else's dinner.

I'm sure our bodies are very efficient with handling water. Athletes may have to drink more water, but that's fine, they'll naturally drink more water to keep the thirst at bay but we mere mortal who don't train 13 hours a day do not need to drink so much damn water!

At Kapooka, I drank just enough water to "piss clear twice a day", but not so much that I had to run to the loo every 40 minutes. Infact, I only went to the loo...well...2ce a day. We would carry a 2L water bottle around everywhere in the barracks and I would only drink about 1.3L, even when it was a boiling hot day. Out in the field, we carried 4 L of water, after a 7km pack march I only drank 1.8L but still pissed clear at least once a day. I felt great and was never dehydrated. So why should we drink so much damn water when we don't need to or want to?

Other animals in the animal kingdom only drink when they're thirsty, why do we force ourselves to drink even when we're not thirsty?

Insanity, all of it. Argh!
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

-Si vis Pacem Para bellum-
Bread-Monster

Postby dietcoke » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:03 pm

Hehehe...some very good points.

I think if you want to drink lots of water then go for gold but if you don't like it then just don't. As long as your wee isn't bright yellow or orange you'll be fine.

I drink lots of water because I can't stand having a dry mouth and if I don't drink 2L or more in a day I get really thirst at night...then when I drink that late I have to get up in the middle of the night to go to the toilet.

To each their own I s'pose.
dietcoke

Postby Bread-Monster » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:17 pm

That's ok, if 2L isn't enough and you need to drink more to quench your thirst, that's fine, but it's annoying reading the dieting advice articles and every one of them tells you to drink at least 2 L of water a day. I like water, I prefer it to most other types of drinks, but I have to force myself, or run a marathon to drink 2L in one day. Even after running 10km in summer I only drink 800mL.

Now, I reckon drinking coke, milkshakes, coffee, etc etc instead of water may not be a good idea. Drinking anything with Caffeine in it will just make you go to the toilet more, thus causing your body to dehydrate, hence drinking extra water is good.
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

Bread-Monster

Postby electrongirl » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:53 pm

I found the smae thing about going to the loo so much at first but after a few days it settled down.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Tummygirl » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:27 pm

Water is my best friend!!! Helps me get rid of cravings and yes it makes me go to the loo a bit, but it makes me feel fresh and clean. :D

Sometimes i find it hard to get my full 2lt a day but i figure if im drinking water rather than soft drink (my FAV) or something else not good for me.
Cassie xox

Starting Weight 140 kg
Loss To Date 5 kg
Current Weight 135 KG
Tummygirl

Postby talia11 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:29 pm

It does suck trying to make yourself drink that much - and I get you about being out in the field - however in saying that whenever i was out bush I sucked it down....nothing like sticking hot Holsworthy - in saying this I get your point - but I can tell you my best weight losses are always when i do my religious 2L a day...when I don't do that I always seem to lose less...go figure...
Carmen - Weight Watchers -Goal 72kg

talia11

Postby chubba momma » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:38 pm

I cant drink that much water in a day. I just drink as much as i feel my body needs and can cope with
NO MORE EXCUSES!!
chubba momma

Postby Tummygirl » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:41 pm

Only reason i find i can drink that much water is that I work in a call centre so im always on the phone.
Cassie xox

Starting Weight 140 kg
Loss To Date 5 kg
Current Weight 135 KG
Tummygirl

Postby SarahC » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:41 am

Sorry... I just found another lengthy article :roll:

Water naturally suppresses the appetite and helps the body metabolize stored fat. Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits.

Here’s why: The kidneys can’t function properly without enough water. When they don’t work to capacity, some of their load is dumped onto the liver.

One of liver’s primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body. But, if the liver has to do some of the kidney’s work, it can’t operate at full throttle. As a result, it metabolizes less fat, thus more fat remains stored in the body and weight loss stops.

Drinking enough water is the best treatment for fluid retention. When the body gets less water, it perceives this as a threat to survival and begins to hold on to every drop. Water is stored in extracellular spaces (outside the cells). This shows up as swollen feet, legs, and hands.

Diuretics offer a temporary solution at best. They force out stored water along with some essential nutrients. Again, the body perceives a threat and will replace the lost water at the first opportunity. Thus the condition quickly returns.

The best way to overcome the problem of water retention is to give your body what it needs: plenty of water. Only then will stored water be released.

If you have a constant problem with water retention, excess salt may be to blame. Your body will tolerate sodium only in a certain concentration. The more salt you eat, the more water your system retains to dilute it.

But getting rid of unneeded salt is easy – just drink more water. As it's forced through the kidneys, it takes away excess sodium.
The overweight person needs more water than the thin one. Larger people have larger metabolic loads. Since we know that water is the key to fat metabolism, it follows that the overweight person needs more water.

Water helps to maintain proper muscle tone by giving muscles their natural ability to contract and by preventing dehydration. It also helps to prevent the sagging skin that usually follows weight loss. Shrinking cells are buoyed by water, which plumps the skin and leaves it clear, healthy, and resilient.

Water helps rid the body of waste. During weight loss, the body has a lot more waste to get rid of – all the metabolized fat must be shed. Again, adequate water helps flush out the waste.

Water can help relieve constipation. When the body gets too little water, it siphons what it needs from internal sources. The colon is one primary source. Result? Constipation. But when a person drinks enough water, normal bowel function usually returns.

So far, we've discovered some remarkable truths about water and weight loss:
• The body will not function properly without enough water and can't metabolize stored fat efficiently.
• Retained water shows up as excess weight.
• To get rid of excess water you must drink more water.
• Drinking water is essential to weight loss

How much water is enough? On the average, a person should drink six to eight glasses every day, and it's best to have small amounts throughout the day. Four ounces of water – every 30 minutes to one hour – is much more balanced than guzzling all at one time.

When the body gets the water it needs to function optimally, its fluids are perfectly balanced. When this happens you have reached the "breakthrough point." What does this mean?
• Endocrine-gland function improves.
• Fluid retention is alleviated as stored water is lost.
• More fat is used as fuel because the liver is free to metabolize stored fat.
• Natural thirst returns.
• There is a loss of hunger almost overnight.

If you stop drinking enough water, your body fluids will be thrown out of balance again, and you may experience fluid retention, unexplained weight gain, and loss of thirst. To remedy the situation you'll have to go back and force another "breakthrough."

Source: Robertson, Donald S. M.D., M. SC., Robertson, Carol P., The Snowbird Diet, Warner Books, 1996.

To summarise..... the more you pee, the more you're free!! :D :lol:
SarahC

Postby electrongirl » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:50 am

man I should be so free that I AM the United Nations!!!

hahahaha
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Suminoya Buffet » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:50 am

Thanks for the article, Sarah, it was great - and has encouraged me to drink more water!
Suminoya Buffet

Postby Rustie » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:21 am

I have a huge problem with drinking water aswell.
In my nutrition book it says to drink 2.7ltrs a day. Well i know that im never going to do that but i know i need to force myself to drink more.
Tuesday i hardly drank anything and went to the gym. Then went into the sauna and steam room for a relax. Well yesterday i had a killer sore throat and i know it was from toxin build up!

Just little sips at a time.

SW: 80kg
CW: 78.5kg
GW: 60kg
Rustie

Postby Tummygirl » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:26 am

I find it easier drinking water now that the weather is nicer. Hard to get your water in when your freezing cold. If i ever get the urge for a soft drink i just think of my calories and stick to my water. I feel so much better within myself and i know i might need to wee a bit more but thats the cost i guess. :lol:
Cassie xox

Starting Weight 140 kg
Loss To Date 5 kg
Current Weight 135 KG
Tummygirl

Postby Bread-Monster » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:28 pm

Thanks, Sarah, that was insightful, but one thing is still lingering in my mind...

We should stop eating when we're full
We shouldn't eat when we're not hungry
We should drink WATER when we're thirsty...

So why is it ok to ignore our bodies and drink when we really do not want to drink anymore?

i dunno, I reckon being my height and mass and the lack of physical activity I do doesn't require me to drink much...

Ouch...I just had a handroll and it was really salty so it made me all thirsty and I kept drinking because I was still thirsty and now my stomach hurts and I have a driving lesson in 2 minutes and I'm still thirsty with a stomach ache. ><
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

Bread-Monster

Postby SarahC » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:37 pm

That's okay :)

Actually feeling thirsty is one of the late stages of dehydration... by the time you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated :(
SarahC

Next

Return to Diet Talk