It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:09 pm

Free Newsletter

Food intolerances

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Food intolerances

Postby dietcoke » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:09 pm

I have never had the best digestive system and have a habit of retaining water (even though I drink a lot). I don't think I can remember a time (even as a child) when I didn't have at least some concern with my belly.

Could this be a food intolerance? Who should I see about it or what can I cut out of my diet? Does anyone here have allergies or intolerances?

Lots of questions I know...I know :roll:
dietcoke

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:20 pm

sounds like a wheat/gluten thing. you should get it checked out. i am getting bloods done this week due to my bloating and fluid retention
kate_turner2000

Postby BusyMum » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:46 am

Go to your doctor and ask for a RAST test. It is a blood test that they use to test for allergies and I think they can also find intolerances. My daughter, who is one and half has a confirmed allergy to eggs - found that one out the hard way! But she occassionally comes out in hives and rashes even though we have eliminated all egg from her diet. We have seen a dietician that specializes in this sort of thing and we having her RAST test done next week to find what else it is that is giving her the reactions.

We buy alot of foods for her from hullabaloo foods. It was on today tonight not that long ago and they make foods for people with allergies. You will find heaps of gluten free foods on there, as well as nut, egg and dairy free products. I am not sure if I can post the website on here, but if you google it, I am sure you will find it.

Good luck with finding out.
Angela.
Mum to 2 girls, 22months, and 6 months.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wiWIiQF/]
BusyMum

Re: Food intolerances

Postby loveat116 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:12 am

dietcoke wrote:I have never had the best digestive system and have a habit of retaining water (even though I drink a lot). I don't think I can remember a time (even as a child) when I didn't have at least some concern with my belly.

Could this be a food intolerance? Who should I see about it or what can I cut out of my diet? Does anyone here have allergies or intolerances?

Lots of questions I know...I know :roll:

Sounds like a wheat allergy, i would go see your doctor. What will happen is you cut out wheat for a week and see if you feel better.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:26 pm

wheat/gluten and dairy are the most common intolerances. Then there are the true allergies, but you'd know if you had them, you'd be blown up like a balloon on a ventillator!! Get it checked out even if just so find out the cause of your discomfort
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby dietcoke » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:30 pm

Thanks guys. Sorry i didn't see your replies because there's something up with this board...maybe just on my computer but the page 1 isn't actually page 1 and i have just worked out that i have to click page 2 then go back to get the real page 1...sheesh...hope that made sense.

Anyway now that I know it's just a simple blood test I might just go to the doctor. I wouldn't go if it were something invasive (if you know what i mean).

I think it runs in the family too because we all get eczema (sp?) and my brother had to stay away form dairy when he was a kid. I still can't use certain face/body creams etc because my skin breaks out in a rash...s'pose it's all connected.
dietcoke

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:18 pm

sure is. I'm the classic eczema, athsma, hayfever combo with lactose intolerance.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Diet Talk