It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:46 pm

Free Newsletter

Which milk?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Which milk?

Postby dietcoke » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:10 pm

Just wondering. I'm trying to cut WAY down on dairy and wheat (not an easy talk but slow and steady wins the race). Aaaaanywho, I was juts wondering which milk is best to have in my protein shakes? Yes I know that there's whey protein in the powder but like I said I'm cutting down...not cutting out (just yet).

Cows milk also had lots of sugar in it so I'm looking for a milk that's not too high in carbs - sugar in particular.

Anyone know of any good options?
dietcoke

Postby SarahC » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:30 pm

I just get the So Good soy milk. For 100mL of that you're looking at 4.7g carbs of which 1.9g is sugar. Not sure how that compares with cow's milk though...
SarahC

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:01 pm

Goat milk is a good low fat low allergen alternative, but can be expensive and may take a little while to get used to. I use lactose free skim milk - lactose has interesting effects on the other end, but so does soy unfortunately!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby dietcoke » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:25 pm

Hmmm. Never thought of goats milk. I've been having rice milk or soy milk lately which is fine but I read the label and both are high in carbs.

I've taken your suggestions on board and will give them a go...thanks guys.
dietcoke

Postby workinprogress » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:08 pm

dietcoke wrote:Hmmm. Never thought of goats milk. I've been having rice milk or soy milk lately which is fine but I read the label and both are high in carbs.

I've taken your suggestions on board and will give them a go...thanks guys.

Hi,

Just a quick response, I never go past Anlene low fat milk. I know you said you didn't want cows milk because of its high lactose content but the added vitamin D and high calcium content is very beneficial for absorption of calcium plus studies have shown that a diet with sufficient calcium (1000mg a day atleast) helps stop partial fat absorption in the intestines which helps control weight.
Also the protein level in cow's milk is sufficient enough to cause a delay in sugar absorption anyway which will not cause a spike in blood sugar levels.

I'm not big on soy products at all to be honest because the jury is out on whether or not they are actually beneficial. Soy contains phytoestrogens which mimick estrogen in the body, such an action could increase the risk of certain cancers such as breast cancer. I was reading somewhere that unless you grew up eating soy (such as in Asian cultures) then you shouldn't start eating it later in life.

Anyway, hope that helps.

'When you stop hurting your body, your body will stop hurting you.'

Kristina
workinprogress

Return to Diet Talk