It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:25 am

Free Newsletter

Is dark chocolate good for diet?

Anything and everything concerning food and nutrition.

Moderator: Moderators

Is dark chocolate good for diet?

Postby Jenni » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:47 pm

Today, while sitting eating my salad at lunch i was advising my friend, who is starting a diet next week, to have some chocolate this week because once the diet starts, she wont be able to!

Anyway, i was advised my the man opposite me that dark chocolate is actually good for you if you have 2-3 pieces a night...

Can anyone confirm this - i think my prayers have been answered!?
Jenni

Postby Dolly » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:57 pm

Yes your friend is correct dark Chocolate is healthy for people who wish to lower their blood pressure, it's also loaded with antioxidants, but alas 5 squares of dark chocolate is very high in calories for those wishing to lose any weight.
According to Karen Daly's Fats and Figures book,
30g (5 squares) of dark plain chocolate has 8.4g of fat and 158 calories
30g (5 squares) of plain milk chocolate has 8.2g of fat and also 158 calories

Studies in two prestigious scientific journals say dark chocolate -- but not white chocolate or milk chocolate -- is good for you.
Dark Chocolate Lowers Blood Pressure
Dark chocolate -- not white chocolate -- lowers high blood pressure, say Dirk Taubert, MD, PhD, and colleagues at the University of Cologne, Germany. Their report appears in the Aug. 27 issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association.

But that's no license to go on a chocolate binge. Eating more dark chocolate can help lower blood pressure -- if you've reached a certain age and have mild high blood pressure, say the researchers. But you have to balance the extra calories by eating less of other things.

Antioxidants in Dark Chocolate
Dark chocolate -- but not milk chocolate or dark chocolate eaten with milk -- is a potent antioxidant, report Mauro Serafini, PhD, of Italy's National Institute for Food and Nutrition Research in Rome, and colleagues. Their report appears in the Aug. 28 issue of Nature. Antioxidants gobble up free radicals, destructive molecules that are implicated in heart disease and other ailments.

Findings indicate that milk may interfere with the absorption of antioxidants from chocolate ... and may therefore negate the potential health benefits that can be derived from eating moderate amounts of dark chocolate.

Translation: Say "Dark, please," when ordering at the chocolate counter. Don't even think of washing it down with milk. And if health is your excuse for eating chocolate, remember the word "moderate" as you nibble.

The Studies
Taubert's team signed up six men and seven women aged 55-64. All had just been diagnosed with mild high blood pressure -- on average, systolic blood pressure (the top number) of 153 and diastolic blood pressure (the bottom number) of 84.

Every day for two weeks, they ate a 100-gram candy bar and were asked to balance its 480 calories by not eating other foods similar in nutrients and calories. Half the patients got dark chocolate and half got white chocolate.

Those who ate dark chocolate had a significant drop in blood pressure (by an average of 5 points for systolic and an average of 2 points for diastolic blood pressure). Those who ate white chocolate did not.
Dolly

Postby Jenni » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:53 pm

Thanks for that info Dolly. Im staying away at the moment...but was considering a brand of cadbury called "LITE". Ill have to have a closer look at the fat measurment next time im doing the food shopping!

Chocolate is one of the many things i crave at night but i dont want to have a whole block in the fridge for fear that ill eat all of it. Ah well, no pain, no game.....so here's to no chocolate and lots of weight loss!!!

J
Jenni

Postby Dolly » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:34 pm

I'm not sure but I think the Lite version of Cadbury chocolate is only light on the sugar carbs not on the fat. Because it has less sugar it has less calories.
My diabetic daughter was told by the diabetic association to use it if she must have a fatty treat as it's lower in sugar.

What you could do however (if you're craving chocolate) is to make yourself a Jarrah chocolatte drink to sip on once or twice per day.
Dolly

Postby Angel » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:34 pm

Jenni,

At the end of the day its still chocolate. If this is your weakness then I would include it in moderation in your weekly diet.

I find whenever I am told that I'm not allowed to eat something, it is the first thing that I want and the craving/need only gets stronger with time. If you include it in your weekly diet, you have something to look forward to and you will be more likely to succeed in weightloss because you don't feel deprived.

You'll find programs like weight watchers allow a small amount of what you enjoy or can't live without because they are teaching you a lifestyle plan, teaching you habits that you can continue once you reach goal.

This is what I do, and so far so good. To really enjoy those pieces of chocolate let them melt on your tongue - it lasts longer that way.

Good luck
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:11 am

I must admit I am a chocaholic. I've switched to the 85% cocoa Lindt brand. Far more of the good cocoa and far less of the bad fatty milk (ie only 15% of the chocolate is milk and sugar). It's the higherst cocoa percentage chocolate that i have found. The cadbury "dark" chocolate is usually lucky to be 60% cocoa. Lindt also do a 75% cocoa block if you need to wean yourself on to it.

When i feel like a chocolate fix I have a piece (usually just a bite off the block). It's also so strong that you can't eat much of it in one go. I suck it too to make it last longer.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Diet Talk