It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:09 pm

Free Newsletter

Any Breastfeeding Mummies out there?

A place to talk about Family and Parenting related Weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Any Breastfeeding Mummies out there?

Postby Fletch » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:47 pm

Hi,
Just wanting to know if there are any breastfeeding mums out there and how they are going with their weightloss?
Do you find you're losing weight slowly or quickly?
Are you hungrier?

In the early stages, i was losing weight quickly on WW, then it slowed. I dont find im any hungrier than before - pre-pg.

My 7mo still has 5-6 feeds a day and was exclusively BF for 6mo. He has one meal of solids a day @ dinner with us, usually pears or apples... he hates all vegies so far and lock jaws after one taste :roll:

How are you going?
Fletch ~ breastfeeding my 7mo baby boy ~ loving my 2yo boy!
- on a weight loss journey to be a better me!

~ Height: 165cm ~ SW: 80.1kgs ~ CW: 66.3kgs ~ GW: 60kgs ~ Pre-PG: 64kgs ~

Fletch

Postby Mummyof3 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:18 pm

Hi fletch,

Yep i am breastfeeding my daughter, she is 5 months, she has just started to eat solids.

ummm I dont really know if it's helped me to lose weight, they say it does, but Yeah, I cant really tell as well, because everytime I try to lose weight I am breastfeeding, anyhow... but I am always hungry though....

I'm trying to wean her off actually, going to put her on to formula! well I'm sort of like half hearted at this stage, cause she my baby and my only girl, so I'd love to keep her on, it's just that I want to train hardout and take supplements and stuff, I'm dying for a protein shake but I was told, I couldn't....
*FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION*

"You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be."

Mummyof3

Postby Fletch » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:43 pm

Hi.
Yeah, IKWYM. I'd love to be on Tony Ferguson right now, but cant do it b/c of BF.
Im quite happy to continue BF, even though i do think it means im losing weight slower. But he's my last and i want to BF him for as long as possible. My goal is 12mo, then we'll see what he wants to do after that. Although, he's a bit of a booby monster, so who knows??

One thing i have noticed is if i feed him after exercising, he's more fussy. So i make sure he has a feed, then i get my work out in... that way im confident about how much he's actually had.

Good Luck with weaning... i hope its a smooth and easy task for you :)

Fletch

Postby Mummyof3 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:43 pm

oh my gosh, yeah my little girl is my last as well, and I so wanted to feed her for as long as she wanted. I am so feeling you in that area :cry: I dont know we will see how it goes.... I might just keep her on :wink: btw what does this mean
IKWYM
I have no idea...lol

Mummyof3

Postby chubba momma » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:19 pm

I know what you mean" (IKWYM)

I coundlnt breast feed my children due to a lack of supply. Hannah i breast and formula fed till 4 months old and i was losing weight well. When i stop howver was when i gained all my weight :cry: (Alot of it cause i was upset i coulnt breastfeed and ate to help me feel better tho :cry: )

I wish you all teh best on whatever you decide :D
NO MORE EXCUSES!!
chubba momma

Postby Fireball » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:53 am

That's tough. I bf my first 2 for 12 months and I did find it easy to lose weight. But iwas young and relatively fit too. My 3rd baby I got cracked nipple and it never healed. I stuck it out for about 4 mth and finally quit - I couldnt take the pain!!

My daughter is bf, bubs is 7 weeks old and she was complaining tonight that she is always hungry. She is worried if she is producing enough milk so I suggested she regularly get him weighed. I don't know what else she can do. She is very overweight and worried about putting more on while pregnant so she kept a strict eye on what she ate and weighed often. When she gave birth he unexpectedly weighed 5 kg and apparenly even the afterbirth weighed 2kg. When she weighed, she had lost weight! :shock:

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Mummyof3 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:18 am

My daughter is bf, bubs is 7 weeks old and she was complaining tonight that she is always hungry. She is worried if she is producing enough milk so I suggested she regularly get him weighed. I don't know what else she can do. She is very overweight and worried about putting more on while pregnant so she kept a strict eye on what she ate and weighed often. When she gave birth he unexpectedly weighed 5 kg and apparenly even the afterbirth weighed 2kg. When she weighed, she had lost weight!
bubs is taking alot out of your daughter at the moment, and usually they say that after you have put baby to the breast, you need to have a large drink of water.. I do this often on the other hand, what a lovely big baby :o

Mummyof3

Postby Fireball » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:39 am

Thanks for that advice, I've never heard of that before. :)

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Fletch » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:41 am

Also Fenugreek tablets from a health food store can boost supply... just take a few a day and my milk is gushing out... my boys eyes widen when he's feeding! LOL

Fletch

Postby Mummyof3 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:08 pm

also a handful of almonds as well!!!

Mummyof3

Postby Siana-leah » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:19 pm

hey guys....im bf my 4 month old at the moment.....
ill be switching to formula soon as a personal choice....
im finding that trying to lose weight is affecting my supply....im trying to eat healthier (not dieting or any particular plan) so im def eating enough....
im exercising aswell and drinking lots of water but it seems to be waning.....
i think the bf did help to maintain my current weight.
i also lost weight after my girl was born....10kg!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWJeIU2/]
[/url]
Siana-leah

Re: Any Breastfeeding Mummies out there?

Postby katerina » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:06 pm

HI :D
I breastfed my girl for 2,2 years, and I lost all the pregnancy weight only by breastfeeding. From 85 kg after birth, to 51 kg after 17 months. The weight loss was, thanks God, gradually so my skin was not marked.
I must admit I breastfed my daughter on demand, never thought to make her a schedule. After weaning it was a little dificult to eat everything. :lol:
Good luck and don't stop breastfeeding. Is the best gift you can do for you and your child.
Not a very good english speaker, but I am tryin'

katerina

Postby katerina » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:11 pm

I forgot ot mention that my milk supply was low to medium (everyone is different), so sometimes I had to breastfed Claudia every single hour, in the first months. She was and she is a very healthy child.
Not a very good english speaker, but I am tryin'

katerina

Postby River » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:09 pm

Hi guys how's it going with the weightloss and breastfeeding? I am breastfeeding my 8 month old, she doesn't like solids at all so is exclusively breastfed still, she's only had a couple of meals of food, and even then only a couple of teaspoons managed to slide down LOL. Takes it out of me feeding so much, she is a monster child and drinks a lot. I am constantly hungry. I find it very difficult to lose weight while breastfeeding, this is my 4th baby and each time I have pretty much maintained weight until I've weaned and then its' just fallen off.

I find my supply to wain too much, it's very frustrating. Each time I go to the gym or drop a snack or cut down a portion size my supply drops off and bubs gets very frustrated.

I'll keep on plugging away though.

How is everyone else going? Fletchie......how are your little princes? (Do you know who this is? :P)
Gotta get healthy for my girls...
SW ~ 117.3kg
CW ~ 114.7kg
Mini GW ~ 100.0kg
GW ~ 85.0
River

Postby Rachel85 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:24 am

I'm currently breastfeeding my 4 month old daughter. I did lose 10kgs after having her but then I gained 4kgs back so have only lost 6kgs so far. I don't think breastfeeding is actually helping me lose weight..if it is, it's doing it really slow.
Rachel85

Next

Return to Parenting and Weight loss