It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:03 pm

Free Newsletter

Pregnant and want to be healthy

A place to talk about Family and Parenting related Weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Pregnant and want to be healthy

Postby nataliep » Mon May 24, 2010 11:33 am

I am waiting to see if i am in the 'intervention' group of the study, which would mean i would get advice from diatician and also a physio for exercise. If i am in the control group, i will seek out more information anyway. Anything i lean i will share on here :)

I am 10 1/2 weks now, had initially lost 1.5 kgs, but have put that back on now - so i guess really i am even for now. Can't work out if i would have lost had i not been pregnant, i know it's about 10 kgs over the pregnancy, but not sure how quickly that weight is supposed to go on. Oh well, trying not to think about the numbers. But it's scary that i have to adjust my clothes already - not because there is bump sticking out, but just the podge that is there doesn't like being squeezed into jeans anymore. I am hoping to keep my preg quiet for a while longer - i thought with my weight i would be able to cover until 4 months at least, but i think with the split in my stomach muscles from the first baby, that i might stick out sooner than last time.

How funny is this - of the 4 girls in my pump class, 3 of us are now pregnant! Great that there are other people to keep going, and that the instructor is really aware and verbal about what adjustments to make to accomodate etc.

Hows things going Leanne? did you try the Lemon Detox? A woman i work with has done it twice - the first time successfully and lost about 5 kgs, the 2nd time about a year later she gave it up after 2 days coz of side affects headaches and diarrhoea etc. My mum recently did a very strict controlled portion diet - the Cohen one - with great success - she lost over 25 kgs in 5 months!!
nataliep

Postby leannen » Mon May 31, 2010 3:34 pm

Hey honey!! sorry, been ages i know.. i been really sick and havent been on here for a while.. the lemon detox i could only do for 2 days as i felt like i was starving myself.. i dont eat much anyway with the calorie counting, but the lemon detox was a bit too much for me at this point.. will try again later.

hope you are well and bub is good. i saw you lost 1.5 kg then put it on.. thats ok darl, bub will be getting big now and the weight is prob from that. just keep active and eat nice and healthy and im sure you and bubba will be a-ok!! i put on a lot of weight with my son.. i was 64 kg when i fell preg, was 94 when i had him by csection. he was 10 pound 11 ounces. i had diabetes before i was preg, NONE when i was preg and its still gone!! no sugar problems at all!! i now have an extremely active healthy 2 1/2 year old..

be good to hear from you soon darl, take care xx Leanne
uurl=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wDymy2A/]
rl=http://lilypie.com]Image[/url]
leannen

Postby nataliep » Mon May 31, 2010 8:46 pm

hello all,

sorry that the lemon detox didn't work out for you leanne, i have heard it is pretty gruelling! i don't think i could do it. Once years ago, i tried a meal replacement - sureslim - and it sucked. i just never felt like having a drink was the same as eating a meal, and so would have the drink and then an hour later eat anyway - not good.

Have been pretty unwell the last couple days, for 48 hrs i didn't even get out of bed. Migraine and vomiting. Even thr thought of food made me feel sick - just the smell of toast cooking (which is usually enough to make my mouth water) is now turning my stomach. and raw meat, or the smell of meat cooking - forget about it. But i am loving carrot sticks - yay! i know they are sweet and carb-ful, but hey it's still a vegie and better than a bunch of other snacks i would usually choose.

Still haven't heard if i am in the intervention or control bit of this study! I really hope it gives me motivation. Actually, i think i am starting to get some of that myself, which i am stoked about :) Until i have to, i am staying away from the scales. They are going to give me a warped perspective anyway, so why confuse myself trying to figure out the numbers?

Now i just need to get back into exercise, which this week with feeling so shite has waned... there is a mums and bubs walking group that just started near me, but the rain and winter... too easy to make excuses not to go. My gym have been texting me asking why i haven't been in... i feel guilty. so i should just get off my (growing) arse and go. Hubby got an exercise bike for himself to use at home, i think i will get on that a bit. By the way, my hubby over the last 2 months has lost nearly 10 KGS! well done to him. At easter we made a pact to eat healthy and be more active together, then a week later i found out i was preg. but he is doing great - i just wish i was keeping up with him, and am a little jealous of his success :( oops, i know thats a bit wrong, sorry. I should use it as motivation!

How are you going Shay? still feeling sick? hope not, and that you are getting more than breakky down now :)
nataliep

Postby nataliep » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:31 pm

Feeling very dishartened at the moment. had my 12 week scan last week, and there is a small bleed from the edge of my placenta, so i am only allowed very gentle walking 2-3 times a week. So there goes my gym membership and aspirations of keeping up a good level of exercise.

And i am in the control group for that study - so i get weighed and measured and monitored, but no intervention from dietician etc. Will be getting as much information as i can though from my GP about how much i should be eating and what kind of foods etc.

Luckily, with the way i am feeling, nausea is at least stopping me pigging out completely. I just feel like at the end of this pregnancy, i am going to be a more massive blob then i was last time. :(

Don't get me wrong, i am thrilled to be pregnant, love it completely, i just feel like it has become a huge roadblock postponing my ability to achieve my weight loss and healthy lifestyle goals.

Motivation please - anyone got a good story about how they maintained/lost weight without restrictive diet and very limited exercise?
nataliep

Postby Shay » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:30 pm

nataliep wrote:Motivation please - anyone got a good story about how they maintained/lost weight without restrictive diet and very limited exercise?

Haha me! I haven't gained any weight since getting pregnant (15 weeks tomorrow) and have barely done any exercise. But I think its because of the whole eating thing. I didnt eat much in the beginning because i felt sick all the time and now i get full very quickly.

Sorry about your tear and having to limit exercise :( Athough walking is still great! And you know what, i'm a firm believer that you can lose weight by watching others exercise, so hire some aerobics dvds and you'll lose empathy weight :lol:
Had my baby girl Leah on 13/12/10!

Weight at 40 weeks: 81.5kg
SW 4 days post-baby: 74.4kg
CW: 67kg

1st mini goal: 72kg - DONE!
2nd mini goal: 70kg - DONE!
3rd mini goal: 67kg - DONE!

4th mini goal: 64kg
Shay

Postby maxrivera » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:07 pm

Please be careful if you are considering a detox diet whilst pregnant. I have written an article about the safety of detox during pregnancy. Please feel free to read it.

thanks

Max
Last edited by Jisgone on Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed advertising link. Please refer to forum rules.
maxrivera

Postby nataliep » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:21 pm

Shay - that is fantastic for you! and thankyou so much for the laugh - sympathy weight loss, i love it! And surely laughing burns kilojules, right?? :) Everything going ok for you?

so far i have put on 1 kg since my baseline weight - which was at 6 wks preg, now i am 15 wks. Initially i had lost 1.5 kgs so now i am just 1/2 kg down, so i think i am ok with that - but it's hard to judge really. i am just trying to make sure that any food i eat is good for me, so trying to cut out 'nutritionally empty' foods, and go for fresh 'real' foods instead - my fruit bowl has never been so well used as far as snacking goes. i know fruit is high in sugar and not all that great for you, but hey, it's better than the bag of chips and chocolate bar that i would have had previously.

The hardest thing i have found as far as limiting my exercise and being careful is how i interact with my toddler! gosh it is hard not to pick him up and swing him around and do all the rough play that we used too, i really miss it. and been feeling quite yuk coz my gym started sending me letters because i haven't been in in a few weeks. I rang them, explained my situation, and asked if i could cancel or put a hold on my membership (at the moment i am paying $34 a fortnight and can't even use it) but they said no, i would have to pay out the year. so i guess i will just keep paying the money feeling guilty that i am getting bigger, missing out on my exercise (also my kid free while son is in creche time) AND wasting money. GRRR... At least as part of that study at the hospital, they do skin fold tests, weight and cm measurements 3 times during the pregnancy, so i will be aware of what my body is doing fat wise, and i hope that stops me from giving up and just letting go completely. I still feel accountable to someone :)
nataliep

Postby nataliep » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:59 pm

Hello all,

just wanted to share soem good news - i had been avoiding the scales but had cause to get on them at a checkup the other day - since falling pregnant, i have actually managed to lose weight!! last week i was down 5kgs, now i am down 4 kgs, but considering i am now over 19 weeks pregnant so probably carrying around 2kgs of baby, fluid, placenta etc am really pleased to be down!!! given that i am not allowed to exercise because of a problem with the placenta, i had been feeling very dishartened, but now i am re-energised and motivated to continue. I haven't even been watching what i eat to much - just avoiding junk food and trying to make healthy choices wherever i can. YAY!!!!! Maybe when i have this baby in december, i will be on my way to a slim, healthy me :)

:D :D
nataliep

Postby Shay » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:53 pm

Lucky you! I started at 69.8kg and am now 74.7kg and counting, and i'm only about 22 weeks!!

Shay

Postby nataliep » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:24 pm

Hmm, check up today and i am back to my starting weight. So still ok, i am 22 weeks preg and have not gained any weight, but have put on 4 kgs in 4 weeks, which is a little fast for my liking. Hopefully will not continue at that rate! Have been a bit slack with my food choices though since finding out i had been doing so well. Oh well, just need to take it as a reality check and get back to making good choices.

Going on holidays this week too - will be sunning myself in Hawaii :) so probably lots of incidental walking around doing tourist stuff which will be good, and i plan on keeping my eating under control - going with some good healthy eaters so should be easy. Felt a bit crap having to get out the bathing suit though... i have always been self concious (i am sure you can all relate to that!) and having the baby belly bump does make me feel a bit better, but my fluid retaining legs and exploding varicose veins are just so ugh. i think i will be making good friends with a pretty sarong to cover them up.
nataliep

Postby nataliep » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:25 am

well just an update - now 29 1/2 wks preg, and 2 kgs up from my starting weight. not too bad i guess, but when i think about the weight i lost to start with - down 5kgs, all that back on plus 2 more, it's a little depressing. Lately i have lost motivation a bit due to feeling dishartened, i think i need to stop and re-focus. instead of making smart food choices, it's been very much oh well, i'll deal with it when the baby's born and the weight will magically come off then - i know it won't, and it's a dangerous thought pattern to slip into, but i just can't seem to override it.

I need a swift kick in the pants and a reality check.
nataliep

Postby Shay » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:03 am

You're doing amazingly! 2kgs is nothing! You should be heaps proud. I'm 31 weeks on thursday and have gained 8kgs to date lol

Shay

Postby nataliep » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Woot Woot had a weigh in with my dr and an ultrasound to check baby's weight today - at 36 wks i have put on 2.3kgs singe start of the pregnancy, and the baby weighs 2.97kgs! so i have actually managed to lose some of my weight while still producing a perfectly normal sized baby :) i also avoided gestational diabeties and any other issues :D feeling quite proud of myself at the moment, and hope that i can keep up the lifestyle changes and healthier eating choices going forward - maybe i will have the baby, breastfeed and get back into normal exercise and the fat wil just melt away after all... wishful thinking i know, but hey why not be positive :)

So my next goal is starting after the birth - i will have roughly 25kgs to loose. Haven't quite decided how i will break that into mini goals yet.
nataliep

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:56 pm

Well done, and a big GOOD LUCK for the last few weeks and birth!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Shay » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:12 pm

bump!

How are you and bub??