It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:47 am

Free Newsletter

A THREAD FOR THOSE TRYING TO CONCEIVE

A place to talk about Family and Parenting related Weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

A THREAD FOR THOSE TRYING TO CONCEIVE

Postby nothing2lose » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:58 pm

Hi all,

Is there anyone out there who is trying to lose weight in order to have a baby? Not necessarily your only motivation, but at least a contributing factor?

I thought it might be good to start a thread for those of us trying to conceive because, despite what they told us in High School, getting pregnant isnt always as easy as you think. Especially for the more mature (read: old) and curvalicious (read: rotund) of us!

I have been trying to have my second child for quite a while now. No luck :( And, as the biological clock is a'ticking, I/we are starting to get serious about this. Because, it really is now or never for me.

I would love to hear from others who are in the same boat. Or, at least, a similar one!

n2l
LIVE YOUR LIFE LIKE A THIN PERSON....AND EVENTUALLY YOUR BODY WILL MATCH YOUR LIFESTYLE!

HW - September 2008 - 121.3kg :( :(
SW - 16 May 2010 - 110.4 kg :(
New SW - 6 January 2011 - 108 kg :(
First GW 99kg :) My aim is to reach this goal by April 15, 2011
nothing2lose

Re: A THREAD FOR THOSE TRYING TO CONCEIVE

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:07 pm

I'm trying to lose weight for conception, but I haven't started trying to conceive yet. My GP wants to make sure my vitamin D is normal before I try to get pregnant as it's currently too low (even after several months on supplements!) I'll be going back to her next month for the tests so fingers crossed that everything's okay. It's frustrating having to wait, especially because I'm over 36, but at least it gives me a chance to finish my thesis.

Good luck with conceiving, N2L. I hope you get pregnant soon.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Shay » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:30 am

Good luck girls :) Because i have PCOS, doctors told me i'd probably need to go on medication to get pregnant (boy were they wrong, in fact, i found out i was pregnant the week after they broke the news to me!) . But around that time, I was leading a very healthy lifestyle, ie eating well and plenty of exercise. Even though i didn't lose much on the scales, i know my health improved a fair bit and i'm sure that it helped me conceive. Stick with it, and hey, cant really complain about the 'trying' part :lol:

Btw Ali, very smart of you for looking into your vitamin and mineral levels. My vit D was also low, so my doctor had me on double the recommended supplement dose, ie i think i was taking 2 tablets a day instead of the 1. It was up to acceptable amount after a few months. Also, make sure iron and folate are at a decent level if you haven't already :)
Had my baby girl Leah on 13/12/10!

Weight at 40 weeks: 81.5kg
SW 4 days post-baby: 74.4kg
CW: 67kg

1st mini goal: 72kg - DONE!
2nd mini goal: 70kg - DONE!
3rd mini goal: 67kg - DONE!

4th mini goal: 64kg
Shay

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:39 pm

Yeah, I had them test EVERYTHING when I went to the GP! It was irritating, though, because the first GP I saw forgot to test for chicken pox immunity, which was one of the things I specifically mentioned! So I've had my MMR vaccination, I'm still immune to chicken pox (thank you second blood test), my folate is fine, my iron is fine and my B12 is fine. It's just the vitamin D which is low. I may have to take double the dosage too depending on how my next blood test goes. I was wondering if it would be safe to do so, so I'm glad to hear that in some circumstances you can do that.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby sez_b » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:38 pm

YES! Me, me, me!

Iv been wanting a second child for almost a yr now, its the most hardest thing in the world!
sez_b

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:33 am

Good luck, Sez. I hope you conceive soon! How are you going with your conception plans, Shay?

I went back to the GP a couple of weeks ago. My vitamin D levels are still below normal, but not too low to conceive. My doctor's given me the same instructions as your doctor did, Shay. She's put me on two vitamin D tablets per day. She says it won't harm the foetus so my partner and I are now actively trying to conceive.

I've cut out all alcohol. I've always found it hard to do in the past, but it's much easier now that the health of a potential embryo depends on my sobriety! I've also switched to organic foods, as far as I can afford them. I buy what fruit and veggies I can afford from the organic store at my local market and choose fruit and vegetables that are low in pesticide residue from the supermarket. One bonus is that it's making it a lot easier to avoid processed food! A tin of organic soup costs about $6. I could make several pots of soup for that price, even if I buy all organic produce to make it!

I wanted to cut out caffeine but I've found it's the only thing keeping my migraines at bay. Apparently many women suffer fewer migraines while pregnant so hopefully I can cut out coffee further down the line.

Good luck with your conception plans, ladies! Here's hoping we all have some good news soon. :D

Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:54 pm

LOL. Sorry, I completely missed your ticker, Shay. Apparently your conception plans worked bloody well 26 weeks ago! Congratulations! :D
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Shay » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:18 am

EvilWombatQueen wrote:LOL. Sorry, I completely missed your ticker, Shay. Apparently your conception plans worked bloody well 26 weeks ago! Congratulations! :D

Thank you! I know time flies, next week is third trimester! :shock:

Good luck Ali! Sending pregnancy vibes your way! :P
Had my baby girl Leah on 13/12/10!

Weight at 40 weeks: 81.5kg
SW 4 days post-baby: 74.4kg
CW: 67kg

1st mini goal: 72kg - DONE!
2nd mini goal: 70kg - DONE!
3rd mini goal: 67kg - DONE!

4th mini goal: 64kg
Shay

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:04 pm

Thanks, Shay! I'm not stressing if I don't conceive straight away. I looking forward to a baby but not looking forward to pregnancy and childbirth. I'm also not looking forward to a year without wine. It's only been two weeks of abstention so far and I'm not enjoying it. Part of me is looking forward to my next TTOTM so I can have a damn glass of wine! :lol:
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Parenting and Weight loss