It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:18 pm

Free Newsletter

Ok another question :-)

Anything and everything about leading a healthy lifestyle.

Moderator: Moderators

Ok another question :-)

Postby Tas » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:54 am

I am finding the bmi thingo a bit confusing :roll: so I need some opinions here.
By bmi is currently 27 which means I am still over weight - yet I don't feel that much over weight - if that makes sense. Ok, I could sure do with losing another couple of kilo's but if I go along with the bmi rate indicator I will look gaunt! I don't think the bmi rate allows for bone structure or some thing along those lines - so am I right in thinking this or am I missing some thing (which wouldn't surprise me at all)
Thanks in advance

Maria
Tas

Postby Dolly » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:46 am

Hi Maria, I personally have always felt the BMI standard is set wrong too. They have me set as being obese and yet I see heaps of people who weigh the same as myself, as looking much larger. Maybe I'm taller or something but when I told one of the doctors in our local medical group that I was classed as obese, he laughed and said no your not, your just a little over weight :shock:
It must be my 5'6" frame or my clothes that disguise my blubber so well.
BMI calculator - http://www.weightloss.com.au/weight-los ... -index.htm
Better than a BMI chart (but roughly the same end result) - http://healthletter.tufts.edu/issues/20 ... ratio.html

Dolly
Dolly

Postby Tas » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:51 am

Hi Dolly
Yes it doesn't make sense at all - my closest friend (who happens to be real slim :evil: ) is exactly the height that I am - only at least 15 kilo's lighter. If I got down to her *normal* range of the BMI then I would look really ill! I have been that weight before and trsut me, I did look very ill. So, even if I go to the higher end of the BMI scale and stay within my *normal* range I would start to look gaunt.
Right now, my size 14 clothes and those blo@@y new-you-beaut size 14 shorts are too big and are falling down pass my hips! I just find it concerning that these tools for us are not really accurate and trust they can only be used a very rough guide?
Frustrating isn't it :D
You say you are 5.6 - I am to be precise 5.5 and a half!! LOL and currently weigh in at 74.8 kilo's - so in your view how much am i still over weight? Cheers Dolly
Regards
Maria
Last edited by Tas on Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tas

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:12 am

I'm not a big fan of the BMI except as a very vague guide. The problem I see is that it doesn't account for musculature and as you say bone structure.
Take an olympic weightlifter, rugby/AFL player or boxer - you couldn't call them obese as they'd beat you up, but many certainly would be by the BMI :roll: . I remember having trouble getting a knee brace to fit as I have/had BIG legs. I wondered at the time where weightlifters who have VERY BIG legs get theirs from?

I get my body structure from my dad's family which is quite thickset. My sister is a tad taller than me but is around 60kg, but she is more like mum, who's from a much lighter family. I'd like to be just a bit heavier than my sister as I don't think being that light would suit me, so I'm aiming for 70-75kg which is at the top end of the normal range in the BMI but I will be guided by how I look and feel when I get there. I remember being 85ish kg and I probably could have lost 5-10 kg then
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Dolly » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:43 am

Hi Maria,
You are 168 cm tall which means your are only around
2 kilo overweight.
Last edited by Dolly on Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dolly

Postby Tas » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:44 am

Hi Dolly

168cm tall? Oh I have calcualted that wrong then because i have been putting 166cm.
Thank you Dolly for going through all that for me - much appreciated!
Made my day :lol:

Maria
Tas

Postby Tas » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:48 am

HI Dawn

I understand what you mean - my bone structure is much different to my friends - although we are the same hieght I actually look taller than her LOL
The BMI I guess must just be used a simple guide - taking in to account your own bone structure and so onl
Thanks
Cheers
Maria
Tas

Postby Dolly » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:50 am

Actually on further checking you are 167 cms tall, I'm 168 but the end result is the same, you are onlly 2 kilo over weight.
Dolly

Postby carleyjt » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:56 am

I am 168cms tall (or short depends who im standing next to) so what is the average weight supposed to be? BMI tell me im obese as well but i know im not obese
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
carleyjt

Postby Tas » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:56 am

Thanks Dolly,

But if you go to the BMI chart and put my height in my weight will show that to be within their normal range I need to be at least 68 kilos - which is to lose another say 6 kilos approximately. But that is too much in my opinion.

I prefer your calculation of 2-3 kilos over weight LOL

Cheers
Maria
Tas

Postby carleyjt » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:59 am

Question answered, thanx :D
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
carleyjt

Postby Tas » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:10 am

Hi Dolly, you were actually right the first time according to this:
168 centimeters = 5.51181102 feet which is darned close to 5.51/2
In Google I put "168cm to feet " and this calculation came up.

Cheers
Maria
Tas

Postby Dolly » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:46 am

Thats great Maria, I have noticed that some charts vary slightly.

Carley, there is a way to measure body fat more accurately than using a BMI charts, you go to the doctors or a gym and get them to measure your skin folds with calipers or use Hydrostatic weighing (underwater weighing) it's the most accurate way to calculate body fat - that is, if you can find a hydrostatic weighing tank.

I myself prefer to use this method.
When we think we are slim the real way to tell if the charts are off is to have a photo taken of ourselves wearing a clingy top without an over shirt or jacket that will conseal our blubber.
If it shows we look slim, then our hearts will be healthy and won't be taking on any more strain. :D
Dolly

Postby Angel » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:39 pm

I agree Maria,

I think the BMI is just a guide and like someone else said, doesn't take into account bones, muscle etc so not always accurate.

The Weight Watchers range: 166cms is 55-69kgs, 167cms is 56-70kgs and 168cms is 56-71kgs. So you are in now way overweight but would be a healthier weight range if you lost a couple of kilos.

Personally, I found the 'larger' end of the scale, the more manageable weight as I would look unhealthy at the lower end of my weight range - 160cms and 51kgs!

I think the best judge is you and your clothes. I have a pair of jeans I aim to get into because I know I am comfortable and feel good at this weight so I use my weigh ins as a motivation tool but my jeans are my goal.

Hope this helps,
Angel
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Return to Lifestyle Talk