It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:00 am

Free Newsletter

Eat to save your life, did you watch it?

Anything and everything about leading a healthy lifestyle.

Moderator: Moderators

Eat to save your life, did you watch it?

Postby SammyTurtle » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:39 am

On channel Ten tonight, Jamie Oliver presented a show called Eat To Save Your Life. Was extremely interesting and i tell you now, it certainly brought home to me that i need to be persistant in losing weight and keeping it off. It was that interesting that i took 3 pages of notes and i will be refering to those notes everytime i think about blowing the whole weight loss thing.

An example of what was shown:

They spoke about good and bad cholestrol, one thing i didn't know was that the good cholestrol cleans the bad but that doesn't give us the freedom to continually eat bad fats with the odd good fat thrown in for good measure.

One woman's diet consisted of full cream lattes and crisps, pizza, soda etc. She was about 300 calories over her daily limit but if she was to cut out 1 latte and the crisps she would be under her daily intake. Having that latte and bowl of crisps would increase her weight by 3 1/2 stone over 15 months. She does need to eat alot more fresh produce though.

They did an autopsy on a 25 stone deceased man to show what eating [email protected] food does to your body. There was fat everywhere, it even invaded the muscle fibers! The heart could not be seen due to the amount of fat around it. The diaphragm was higer then it should have been, the lungs were extremely small, the amount of fat was disgusting and really off putting. I'm a person who needs to be shown things, visulization is my weakness and this has done the trick!

I really hope they show it again, we could all get something out of it.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wJXoZ59/]

SammyTurtle

Re: Eat to save your life, did you watch it?

Postby SarahC » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:00 am

Yep I stayed up and watched it. For me the standout thing was the fat invading muscles! I just always think of fat as being just under the skin, but forget how much of it actually gets stored inside. :shock:

Weird thing... I had no trouble watching the human dissection, but had to walk away when he wheeled out the dead pig!

Next week's looks interesting as well, about the chickens, will be watching that one too :D
SarahC

Postby Cac33 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:05 am

haha I just posted a thread too thinking has no-one written about this yet!!

I'm so glad I watched it & really made me want to stick with this & finally loose all this excess weight. Another thing that really stood out for me was the pictures of the constipated bowel! I never fully understood why it was so important to be regular but now I'm going to be more aware of it & make sure I'm regular all the time.
How funny was it when we compared the poo??
Cass

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70
Cac33

Postby SammyTurtle » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:48 am

Cac33 wrote:haha I just posted a thread too thinking has no-one written about this yet!!

Lol, i started posting as the disection was happening, thought i'd better do it while things were still fresh in my mind. Took me awhile to work out which forum to put it in though.

The bath tub of oil was an eye opener too, that was really disgraceful.

SammyTurtle

Postby sassi » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:23 am

i watched it too - i was searching for a thread cos i was going to start one but luckily found this one...via tara's progress thread :lol:

i found that a lot of the information i knew but there were still new things to learn & the visuals were very confronting - in a good way!

i'm a bit scared to watch the one next week - poor chickens :(
sassi

Postby Tarz » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:31 am

I thought it was a huge eye opener about certain things.
(warning this will probably sound gross) i was very interested in the bowell and fibre part. To think that a Ugandan man will have up to 500g of waste per day and an avarage brit has only 150gr per day! Makes you think that more fruits and veg are needed!
ANother part that i paid alot of attention to was cholestreol and saturated fats.
I wish there was an australian version of the show to see what the average aussie is like.
Tarz

Postby sassi » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:58 am

Tarz wrote:I thought it was a huge eye opener about certain things.
(warning this will probably sound gross) i was very interested in the bowell and fibre part. To think that a Ugandan man will have up to 500g of waste per day and an avarage brit has only 150gr per day! Makes you think that more fruits and veg are needed!
ANother part that i paid alot of attention to was cholestreol and saturated fats.
I wish there was an australian version of the show to see what the average aussie is like.

i thought that part was really interesting as well - i was looking up about seeds and their impact on the digestive system after reading something on here yesterday & came across some interesting 'symptoms' and what causes them (relating to bowels & movements lol). part of me wants to giggle like a schoolgirl & say ewwww. but mostly i'm really interested in this. i read somewhere that we can have up to 7kg of waste stuck inside our bowels because we don't eat the right foods to clear us out. 7kg! i'd be under 90kg!

cholesterol was also really interesting - i didn't realise that the bad stuff clung on to the sides & that the good wipes it away (my non-technical terms!).

the salt info was also like :shock:
sassi

Postby ali76 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:15 pm

I knew there's have to be post on this show!!

I watched it too....amazing wasn't it. The bit on the sausages grossed me out, even though I don't eat them....yuck!

It didn't bother me too much watching it in the fact that I know I don't eat too badly most of the time. I don't have extra sugar (like in tea or soft drinks, etc) don't eat extra salty food, eat lots of fruit and veg, etc but I did wonder with me thinking I do ok, what my test results would show if I underwent them.....would be very interesting.

The whole bowel thing got to me too....all that yuckiness sitting there....gross. Time to get more fibre and drink lots more water....eeewww....

An Australian version would be fantastic.

Not looking forward to the chicken one next week.....chicken is the only meat that I don't mind eating!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby Tarz » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:34 pm

Oh, just thought about another bit. I never really understood how it was that if you wait 15 minutes after eating you will feel full its the chewwing. I will definately chew my food more so that my brain gets the message.
Tarz

Postby SammyTurtle » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:47 pm

Tarz wrote:Oh, just thought about another bit. I never really understood how it was that if you wait 15 minutes after eating you will feel full its the chewwing. I will definately chew my food more so that my brain gets the message.

Yep, you should chew your food at least 20 times for the "i'm full" messages to get to the brain. I don't think about what i am doing while eating, usually i'm reading, talking etc.

SammyTurtle

Postby Strawberry » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:13 pm

i totally missed it.
what other interesting facts were stated?
Strawberry

Postby Strawberry » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:15 pm

just youtubed it, theres a small 2min clip on the pork part.
Strawberry

Postby sassi » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:41 am

Strawberry wrote:i totally missed it.
what other interesting facts were stated?
one of the things that really stood out for me was the talk about how much salt is in processed/take away foods.

they showed one guy who'd typically share a pizza hut meal with one other person (even though it was meant for 4 people) how much salt was in the food - they put teaspoons of salt in a glass of water & then asked him to take a sip - which of course he spat straight out! jamie then explained that companies put in heaps of salt to make up for a lack of flavour but then use sugar to balance it out. he'd made a pasta sauce & had put heaps of salt in but also sugar & the guy thought it tasted fine (he didn't tell him till after he'd tried it). jamie then showed how to make a basic tomato pasta sauce (yay - pretty much the same recipe i use!!) & how you "add salt to taste"(that's what he kept repeating).

i guess it really brought home two things for me (cos i knew takeaway was full of salt) - that if you use bottled sauces/meal mixes then you can't control the sodium content & it can push you way over the recommended limits & the other thing is that it can be just as fast to make something from scratch as using a pre-made mix. i guess i knew these things already as well but it was a good reminder!

another thing they spoke about was the impact that even being just a little overweight can have on your body. it made me really embarrassed to be in the obese category.

they also got three people of varying stages of overweight-ness to do some exercise - the guy who was the least overweight had the lowest level of fitness.

the did scans of their bodies to show their livers - one guy had so much fat in his liver it was scary.

next week it's all about chickens :(
sassi

Postby SammyTurtle » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:49 pm

In regards to the next episode about the chickens, i saw this on another forum where we have been discussing the Eat to save your life episode, it was said by a young boy
Isn't it meaner to kill a happy chicken than it is to kill an unhappy one?
. Kind of a no win situation when you look at it through the eyes of a child aswell.

SammyTurtle

Return to Lifestyle Talk