It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:54 pm

Free Newsletter

French Women Don't Get Fat

Anything and everything about leading a healthy lifestyle.

Moderator: Moderators

French Women Don't Get Fat

Postby Serena » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:02 pm

Lucky buggers! I have just bought this book 'French Women Don't Get Fat' by Mireille Guiliano. I saw an interview with her when the book was first released and I was really interested but never quite got around to buying it. It's all about enjoying your food. I will let you guys know if it's any good.
Serena

Postby Dolly » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:12 pm

I've seen the book, and will be really interested in your opinion of it and the answer to why they don't get fat.
When I was there I didn't take much notice if they were fat or not.

Dolly
Dolly

Postby Fairie » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:32 pm

Unfortunately I'm not French :(
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Dolly » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:37 pm

Fairie that's so funny :lol:
My husband says the men were pretty chubby so perhaps they all send their women out to do the physical work.

Dolly
Dolly

Postby carla » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:50 pm

I have read half of this book and the other half awaits me. It is actually quite good. She does make a lot of sense.

The main idea behind it is that food should really be enjoyed on all possible sensual levels. She writes engagingly and enticingly, I found. I really like her style. She stresses that losing weight should not be a torturous affair and that we torture ourselves when becoming fixated on the scales, food-weighing and calorie-counting. This makes sense to me. One big hint...it's the thought put into obtaining food, preparing food and presenting food, then ENJOYING the fruits of our effort that we should really spending our calorie-energy on, rather than focusing on caloric intake, inches gained/lost and guilt-tripping.

The book also looks at everyday ways to increase energy expenditure, like taking the stairs instead of the lift.

Where her ideas would apply to someone like me, for example, is my love of coffee. Mireille would say something along the lines of, instead of drinking copious amounts of CRAPPY coffee all day, have ONE coffee a day made from the real thing, in a gorgeous cup, and sip it slowly, playing with the froth (if you're into latte, which I am) with your teaspoon and taking in the scent. If you're want to enjoy it even more, buy the beans and grind them yourself.

For instance.
carla

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:42 am

grind the beans yourself BY HAND even....give your arms a workout! he he he :P
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby carla » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:55 pm

and why not? :P
carla

Postby Dolly » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm

I'm afraid to say the less time I spend in the kitchen preparing meals or making coffee, the better I am (no temptations that way)
I'm a modern mum, if it's quick and instant I'm happy.
Dolly

Postby hushpuppy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:38 pm

Exactly dolly .I told mum im going to buy a mega freezer before uni so im not tempted to eat take away . Unfortunately we have a corner store prob 50/100m away from the house that also does takeaways . I told them the gots to band me from the shop unles its to buy milk bread or fruit lol
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Return to Lifestyle Talk