It is currently Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:38 am

Free Newsletter

Gastric Lap Banding?

Anything and everything about leading a healthy lifestyle.

Moderator: Moderators

Gastric Lap Banding?

Postby Elmo's Shoelace » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:30 pm

Just wondering what people know about Gastric Lap Banding Surgery. Do you know anyone who has had this done? What is your opinion on it? Personally, I wouldn't consider it for myself, but someone I know is seriously considering it, and I wondered if anyone would like to share their knowledge/opinion?
Elmo's Shoelace

Postby Jisgone » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:17 pm

I dont generally think its a good idea, in some cases its the last option but theres also alot of people out there who dont want to make the effort to lose weight and see it as just an easy solution. Like any surgery there can be complications and the band can slip or get infected ewwie :P I think the other thing is you have to stick with it for life, as it only works while it is on. Once its been taken off the person can go back to eating huge portions again, so in the love run a 'lifestyle change' (everyones favourite 2 words) works better.
Jisgone

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:53 am

I know a couple of people who have had it done... one of them eats normally now, the other can't have more than a bar of soap-sized piece of food at one time because they get too full. They get sick from eating bread and most other carbs.
What a life to live!!!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Lolly » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:56 am

With the money it costs to have done, personally I would rather hire a nutritionist and a trainer!!
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:35 am

Good point, Lolly!!!

And because the weight falls off so fast, you're left with loads of loose skin, ick!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Elmo's Shoelace » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:17 pm

You guys have kind of mirrored my opinions on this. If I am to be completely honest with myself (which isn't always easy) I would have to say that all the diets I have 'tried' in the past failed because I didn't really put the effort in. And I think it's the same for the person I know who is considering the surgery., I know she has stuck to diets in the past and been successful, but it only seems to last a few months. And now she says that all the things she tried before didn't work so surgery is the only option left...
I know there are cases out there where surgery truly is the best option, but in this case it doesn't look that way to me.
Elmo's Shoelace

Postby Groovychic » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:09 pm

Point her in the direction of this site Elmo. That might give her some motivation.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Ally » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:31 am

I agree Elmo...there is only small amount of the population who can't lose weight due to a medical condition....the rest of us just "can't" lose weight.....it is more that we don't want to as it is easier to give up and go back to eating crap food!!!

My friend lost her best friend through lap band surgery. She died a very painful death just months after she had it done and the lap band came off and attached itself to her liver and they didn't find it out until it was too late....horrible yes, rare yes...but they don't tell you it could happen.....I believe everyone has the power to lose weight, but for some it is put in the too hard basket and then the "quick fix" is often sought!!!

There is no trick or magic lotion or potion or surgery that will help us lose weight...the answer lies with US!! WE have to want to do, no one can make us, or force us....it is up to each individual to see that they have abused their body and eaten crap food and ended up with a crap body and only they can fix it...it took me years of yo-yo dieting to realise this for myself.. I had to stop blaming society and every other excuse imaginable and look at ME!! "I" am the answer to my own weightloss!!! 8)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby SarahC » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:51 am

Sounds like a very dangerous procedure. I didn't realise you could die from it :shock: You would have to be very desperate indeed to go to those lengths. Maybe better to work on the head issues rather than the stomach issues :?
SarahC

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:54 am

Image true sarah... thast really sad ally what happened
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:08 am

It only happens rarely, but try telling that to the husband who has lost his wife and the children who have lost their mum....
[/url]
Ally

Postby yummymummy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:14 am

The hospital I work at do heaps of these (like most private hospitals)and a 3 of the girls I work with have had it done. The side effects are usually stuff like gastric upset/colic and constipation, I think the first few weeks after surgury take alot of getting used to there is alot of pain and disconfort and learning new eating habits. It is only concered by the Dr if there is alot of weight to lose, I cant remember how much but the 3 girls I know have aimed to lose 40/50 plus kilos. Of course you have to be aware of the major complications like Allys tragic story and also there other ones that involve the patient staying in hosp longer than usual(because it usually day surgery)but I cant remember anything specific atm. Its a huge decision to make
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Pinkie » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:43 am

One of the mum's at my son's school has just had this done. She's a big girl, and while she's quite active she honestly doesn't understand why she's never lost weight. So she had the surgery done. She had it done a few weeks before Christmas, and as at Christmas Eve she'd lost just over 13 kilos. She says she forgets to eat now and when she does she eats such a tiny amount. Actually today she's going to have the band filled and its a concern because she hardly eats now!!

The thing is, I had lunch with her the other day and she had a quarter of a muffin from Muffin Break. The thing is, now she's had the band put in and yes she's eating less but not of the right stuff. I don't think its made her any healthier in her eating habits she just eats a lot less - does that make sense?

I read an article in the paper a couple of months ago about how overeating is a result from emotional issues. Hello - prime example here. Whether it was something that was triggered by an emotional issue and became a habit, or a 'feel good' response, it becomes a problem. So when people have gastric banding or bypass or whatever, it just transfers the problems. In the article they had examples, one lady lost 60kg and she gradually became an alcoholic. She said she thought all her problems would be solved once she lost the weight but it just transferred. Another became a kleptomaniac. With counselling they were working on their problems.

I think by doing it the 'hard way' as we are, losing the weight slowly but surely in a safe manner, we are working on the reasons why we eat anyway. I think, personally, its safer for me to be in control of my eating and exercising, doing it a healthy way and learning what my triggers are. LOL my boys fight and especially during school holidays and yesterday was a shocker. The old feelings of despair crept in and I found myself wanting to go to the fridge! :roll: I grabbed my water and headed outside with my book. I'm proud that I realised it was a trigger, and got myself out of harms way (sounds melodramatic doesn't it LMAO).

Anyway sorry for my ramblings. I was just so concerned for my friend that she's had it done and while I support her because its what she wants, I don't think I'd ever do it for myself nor would I recommend it.
Pinkie xx

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wBH58xg/]
[/url]
Pinkie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:19 am

makes sense pinkie :) even if she s losing weight, what are these foods doing to her heart?? and sugar levels and so on?
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:06 am

You weren't rambling at all Pinkie and I hear you loud and clear...I support what you are saying and I understand your concern for your friend. You can only be there to support her I guess!
[/url]
Ally

Next

Return to Lifestyle Talk