It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:14 am

Free Newsletter

Gastric Lap Banding?

Anything and everything about leading a healthy lifestyle.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:10 am

Bandit wrote:Sadly, those on the fad diets, medication & meal replacements won't keep the weight off. Those who've made goal weight through sensible changes to eating & exercise, & understand that it is a life-long commitment (yes, that's you Kim!) have a far better chance at long term success.

Hi bandit hope all goes well with your surgery. :) just wanted to comment on the above. i know plenty of people who have had meal replacements medication and 'fad diets' who have kept the weight off. yes they help you lose the weight but its up to the individual to maintain it. sorta like what you are saying about the lap band surgery- its up to the individual to make conscious healthy decisions once it done. i dont doubt anyone when it comes to their decision to lose weight. so i dont knock other peoples weightloss decisions just as long as theyre the ones who are going to be responsible for their maintenance and so on. :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Bandit » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:35 pm

Just wanted to update. I had my surgery nearly 2 months ago. I have lost 18kg so far - nearly 1/3 of my excess. I am full on 3/4 of a cup of food per meal, & am still a little shellshocked at this! I hit the gym 3x a week, I've got loads of energy & I'm feeling fabulous!!!

There is always more loss at the start with a meal replacement liquid diet 2 weeks prior, & 2 weeks post-op, but I'm now losing an average of 1kg per week.
Bandit

Postby Ally » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:20 pm

Glad to hear your surgery went well and your weightloss is steady now!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:56 am

hey bandit thanks for updating us im sure there are a few people here who are interested about the whole process. best wishes and well done
kate_turner2000

Postby Justjudy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:53 pm

Glad that all is going well Bandit. Nice to see that you have so much energy, it must feel fantastic.

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Re: Gastric Lap Banding?

Postby madgicsh » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:04 pm

DO NOT do it!

Two reasons:
1. It 'wears off' and you regain all the weight (have a look at the web for proof, there are even websites dedicated to those who had it and have regained everything they lost and more)
2. It stops you eating the chunky food we should eat to lose weight - meat, veges, chicken etc - but leaves you very well able to swallow the cheesecake & choccies!

No-one should subject themselves to mutilation to "improve" their bodies!
Madgic1
HW 110kg
LW 62kg
GW 65kg
CW 80.5kg

Exercise hurts less than looking in the mirror

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTlMxqm/]
[/url]
madgicsh

Re:

Postby MyDarling06 » Thu May 28, 2009 5:10 pm

Butterfly_Dawn wrote:One of my bloke's friends whom he hadn't seen in 10 years saw him again the other night. He had lost heaps of weight, like 130kg ish. Turns out he had the band surgery and now can't eat very much at all.

For my thinking, there are some people out there who do need it - people who are just so obese they need to drastically reduce weight NOW and who need that extreme option. Others for one reason or another may be unable to succeed with diets (I know there is a condition often associated with intellectual disability in which people just can't stop eating, I'm sure therre are other genetic disorders etc).

But the problem with it is that it opens the door for people who, for all intents and purposes can lose the weight with far less risky options than going under general anaesthetic, having yourself cut open and a band stuck around your stomach, can 'choose' to have it done. Like plastic surgery - required for people who need it - breast reconstructions, burns victims etc - but now it's so overcommodified.

For me, unless you have honestly given it a real go with exercise and eating well etc and just cannot do it no matter what and the risks of being overweight outweighs the risks of complications from surgery, then consider it, but until then it's just not worth the risk

Just my opinion

Very well said... You really have a nice opinion. And you make me proud of it...
Proper exercise and eating habit will lead you to become healthy..
Last edited by whit3tig3y on Thu May 28, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to remove advertising
MyDarling06

Re: Gastric Lap Banding?

Postby Mogget » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:22 pm

Personally I would never consider lap band surgery - as all it does is restrict how much food you can eat to me it is far to clear that the issue is not a metabolic disorder or medical problem but a portion control issue. I just could not justify having surgery under those circumstances even though I got up to 130kg... It is crucial to find a way of eating that you can sustain for the rest of your life - diets, going on and off diets is just not going to work, you need a whole lifestyle change. So that's what I did. 40kg down and about 40kg to go - It has taken a bit over 8 months so far and may take a year or more to finish the loss but I KNOW it will never go back on because my way of life is just too freaking enjoyable!

I gained my weight originally due to emotion drive over eating, instead of surgery I invested time and money into getting my head sorted out, beating my compulsive behaviours and learning new coping strategies... as a result I am not just lighter smaller and healthier I am emotionally stable, medication free, eating disorder free, addiction free happy and confident with awesome self esteem. Surgery would not have done that for me.

Sometimes I feel hungry - that is GOOD, hunger is a normal physical cue we are supposed to experience hunger... but I never ever feel deprived or restricted or desperate. Because I no longer over eat I also never feel bloated, stuffed, uncomfortable...

I think it is appalling that surgery is being pushed as the only viable solution for the morbidly obese - I desperately wish the same push was given to getting the causes of the issues sorted out. I am on another board where at least half a dozen members are onto the second or third weight-loss surgery as they never sorted out the initial head problem and have overeaten to such an extent that they have re-stretched their pouches out, not just once but some of them several times! One person lost 200 pounds after surgery and then GAINED 300 pounds back... But they still go back for that "only viable solution" one more time... That just horrifies me.

My best friend is a doctor and he strongly supports weight loss surgery - he says it saves lives and saves the health system thousands upon thousands of dollars... he has 3 friends who have recently had WLS and says they have all lost a lot of weight... one of them now needs 60K worth of skin reduction surgery... he says he is glad that they are getting healthier and are not at risk of heart attack, but he adds that he is so much prouder of me because I have done it for myself, by myself in the way that ACTUALLY makes a difference too my health by having a healthy lifestyle and healthy mind, not just a healthy weight.

I don't think people opting for surgery simply lack will power, they also lack other resources, other qualities that they COULD access or learn with help, that would help them succeed without surgery... I do genuinely think they are taking a solution to the symptom and not the disease. If you don't invest the same dollars and effort into getting your head sorted out how can it be expected to last - everyone starts off with a small stomach that feels normally full in response to food, the emotion driven poor habits and lifestyle undid that once already - what has changed that will prevent it from happening again?
I never thought I would witness the destruction of a Universe whilst carrying a naked merchant banker...

Mogget

Previous

Return to Lifestyle Talk