It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:55 pm

Free Newsletter

Bathing and showering

Anything and everything about leading a healthy lifestyle.

Moderator: Moderators

Bathing and showering

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri May 18, 2007 10:19 am

i read the other day that only 17% of everyone in the world washes themselves from top to toe whilst bathing and showering :shock:
kate_turner2000

Postby electrongirl » Fri May 18, 2007 10:52 am

eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby milkyway » Fri May 18, 2007 11:07 am

I've been doing some research and interviews lately with people involved in recruitment, employing staff etc. for a series of articles and you wouldn't believe the horror stories they have of unwashed, dirty, scruffy young people applying for jobs!

One guy came in, smelly, unwashed, in trackpants and a singlet which looked like he'd slept in them, thongs and eating McDonalds - for a job interview AND with his mum. This lady I spoke to said she often has to place a bar of soap, shampoo and deodorant on her desk and say "Here they are, use them EVERY day'. Other times she has to talk to people about 'personal hygiene'. I was horrified!!! :shock:
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri May 18, 2007 11:21 am

sounds like a winner! did he get the job?

My father works for Housing Tas and he gets his fair share of the unkempt and unclean - he reckons on a bad day when he was doing interviews no matter what he does - wash his face, rinse his nostrils and blow his nose - he just can't get their smell out of his nose. And festy, sour nappies are apparently the worst.

This morning on the bike track I passed a guy who I have seen numerous times who appears to be homeless riding his bike with a number of old plastic bags on the handlebars which are full of what can only be rubbish by the smell. He literally smells like a rubbish tip.

Some people apparently choose to be that way and despite being teased at school and being spoken to by teachers/social workers about personal hygeine, even being front up told "you stink, you need to shower", in my job I have heard of kids (upper teenagers I mean, stinky littlies is hardly the kids choice) refusing to.

Just goes to show that there are so many different paths out there that so many different shoes are walking on.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri May 18, 2007 11:36 am

my nephew is the same. he is 19 years old and my oldest sister who is his mum is dying. basically because she has been sick a long time with problems going back to alcoholism etc he doesnt know any better. he came to stay here for a few days after xmas and my brother had to give him a bag full of aftershaves and clothes and socks etc because he lived in the same clothes. i washed the clothes he did have and they stunk so bad. we had to keep telling him 'go and have a shower!' and i even gave him a new toothbrush! he hadnt brushed his teeth in years and we had to keep prompting him to wash and brush his teeth etc.
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri May 18, 2007 12:09 pm

wow - at least he listened to you and did as you said. How wonderful for him to have family that would be honest and prompt him to do these things.

Ever notice - and I do not mean to imply that this affects all people in this industry - but ever notice that the computer/IT type indistry tends to attract a higher percentage of people with less than adequate personal hygeine standards?? When buying a laptop recently almost every computer shop we went into smelled distinctly of BO. Also, those shops that sell computer games and those fantasy games are the same - I had a friend who worked at one of those shops and they actually had to implement a store policy that people could be asked to leave if they smelled too bad. :shock:

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri May 18, 2007 12:50 pm

hehe yeah reminds me of the 'stair people' what we called the "nerds" at school because they sat on the library steps. and their hair was all greasy and they had wet armpits and stunk. i was friends with them (i went around from group to group instead of sticking to the one).
kate_turner2000

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Sun May 20, 2007 1:11 pm

I know what you mean about the smell. I've done some pro bono work at a volunteer legal centre we have here in brissy for those who can't afford legal assistance. It's not only hygiene that these people are lacking. To some extent some of the cases sadden me but in others, people do choose to live in these particular circumstances. There is this homeless man who chooses the lifestyle. He has a university education, family and has the means to improve his life yet he chooses a vagrant lifestyle. He knows the difference from right from wrong, knows about hygiene and the importance of it yet he refuses to follow the norm.

Kate that is so sad about your cousin. All it takes is a little help and education. It is saddening to know that some people aren't taught the importance of basic hygiene and presentation. And even though I shouldn’t judge on those particular traits it happens and makes life a lot harder for that individual.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun May 20, 2007 1:18 pm

hey jen it was my nephew :P but yeah it is sad. but basically he wasnt brought up with good hygiene because my sister was drunk all the time. :( they live about 6 hours from us so we didnt really see them growing up.

working in child care there are a few DOCs cases we see and one mother would dress her daughter in a singlet and nappy for day care and she wasnt even 2 years old and the carers ( i was on prac at the time) would bath her and put her in spare clothes each day and when the mum would pick her up they would say she got paint on her or wet in bathroom etc etc just so they could give her a wash and some warm clothing.
kate_turner2000

Postby milkyway » Sun May 20, 2007 4:00 pm

It is sad that so many miss out on the most basic hygiene lessons in life - something most of us take for granted and I personally can't fathom how some people could just not shower or wear clean clothes etc. I think it's especially sad for kids who get teased at school for something that's beyond their control :(

And Kate, that's so sad about that little girl.

Reminds me of a sad story of a gorgeous little Korean girl with an English name of Sally. She was about 3 or 4 years old and came to our preschool classes - I didn't teach her but my roommate did.

Sally was very pampered by her mother and always wore really fashionable clothes. Her mum used to get her done - permed or whatever (!) and she was such a happy little charming thing.

Anyway, six months later, she used to always turn up in the same clothes, dirty, sad and quiet, except for when she was crying. The Korean pre-school teachers would bathe her and cuddle her. One day her uncle came by to pick her up - he was taking her to Seoul. Turns out her mum and dad were divorcing and her mum just didn't want her anymore, neither did her dad, or her grandma who also used to come by the pre-school quite often. So her uncle took her in. It broke my heart :( She was such a little sweetie and then to watch her change was really sad. *sigh* I still think of her and wonder what happened. She's probably 10 or 11 now.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun May 20, 2007 5:52 pm

aw thats awful sandra. i am glad she had someone to take her though. poor thing. it is heartbreaking to see that and its hard not to get attached. :(
kate_turner2000

Postby BubbleButt » Sun May 20, 2007 7:02 pm

That wouldn't surprise me at all that only 17% of people wash from head to toe. I know parents that "rinse" their children off.

I have to disagree with the IT industry comment tho as I have worked in it and my hubby is still in it and I can tell ya, I never worked with anyone with bad hygiene habits in the IT industry at all.

I have been with many cab drivers who are extremely unhygienic and some bus drivers.

I used to work with a guy that was at University during the day and at basketball at night where I was. On weekends he was at basketball also and I could smell him before I'd see him. It was foul! No-one would go near him and I was stuck with him because he was a referee and I had to pay them etc. We used to have complaints from players all the time.

It's so sad hearing all these stories of children and how they are neglected. We had a problem with my stepdaughter for a long time and we had to re-educate her where the toilet was concerned and washing of hands and just general bathing. She's 9 now and every now and again we have to do the reminders; but thankfully she's gotten a lot better.
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
BubbleButt

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun May 20, 2007 8:11 pm

its amazing how we have all had different experiences with bad hygiene. another nephew of mine is TMI - uncircumsized and my sister never really showed him proper toileting hygiene like shaking etc. he always smelt of pee and got infections and everything. this has been happening since he was about 6 years old. he also has a bed wetting problem and his mattress stinks and when i go to my sisters house i do her piles of washing that are wet linen from 'accidents' that she just chucks in the laundry and doesnt do.

theres only 2 of us siblings who are clean freaks
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun May 20, 2007 8:28 pm

Maybe it's just the clients of the IT industry who have hygeine issues??

I actually work for Child and Family Services taking 'notifications' on child abuse and neglect. It's quite sad the stories that come in.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Maraver » Sun May 20, 2007 8:31 pm

Some sad tales on this section
How is your sister now Kate has she beaten her addiction?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Next

Return to Lifestyle Talk