It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:22 am

Free Newsletter

Myth: Fact or Fiction

Anything and everything about leading a healthy lifestyle.

Moderator: Moderators

Myth: Fact or Fiction

Postby Tas » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:48 am

Ok, it has been some time since I pestered ya all with questions :lol:

Is it true the more weight you have to lose the quicker it will come off till you get to a certain point? If so, why?

Cheers
Maria
Tas

Postby Dolly » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:58 am

I always thought it was because when a heavy person does physical activity they are putting a bigger strain on the heart thus burning more cals as it pumps faster, the thinner they get, the heartbeats work at a slower healthier rate and burn less calories.

The number of calories burned is dependent on:

The amount of time spent on physical activity. For example, walking for 45 minutes will burn more calories than walking for 20 minutes.
Your body weight. For example, a 150-kilo person will expend more energy walking for 30 minutes than a 85-kilo person.
Pace: For example, walking 3 miles per hour will burn more calories than walking 1.5 miles per hour.

BASAL METABOLIC RATE

Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the number of calories used by your body when it is at rest. BMR accounts for most of your calorie use. Your basal metabolic rate is based on body functions such as breathing, digestion, heartbeat, and brain function. Your age, censored, body weight, and level of physical activity impact the basal metabolic rate. Basal metabolic rate increases with the amount of muscle tissue you have, and it reduces with age.

Along with burning more calories, physical activity increases the BMR, and the BMR can remain increased after 30 minutes of moderate physical activity. For many people the basal metabolic rate can be increased 10% for approximately 48 hours after the activity. This means, for example, even after the physical activity, when a person is sedentary and watching television, the body is using more calories than usual.
Dolly

Postby Tas » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:10 pm

Thank you so much Dolly! Aren't you one clever lady! :D
How do you determine what your basal metabolic rate is? (I have never heard of it before)
So even when you are resting your body can still burn calories?

Very interesting thank you.

Cheers
Maria
Last edited by Tas on Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tas

Postby Dolly » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:07 pm

Sure Maria, here is a BMR calculator.
Click here Image http://www.weightloss.com.au/weight-los ... ulator.htm
Your above question inspired me to get the old heart pumping a bit more so I went walking whilst carrying hand weights.
Dolly

Postby Tas » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:11 pm

Dolly, or answer inspired me :lol:
I got the exercise bike in to the lounge room - put the tv on and watched Dr Phil and before I knew it I had completed over 10 kilometres!!
I even had a few bursts of extra push because it was a very sad topic! I think if I remember correctly the monitor said I had burned 152 calories :D

You are one clever lady - where do you store all this information! It is amazing....thanks

Maria
Tas

Return to Lifestyle Talk