It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:16 pm

Free Newsletter

A Funny Thing

Anything and everything about leading a healthy lifestyle.

Moderator: Moderators

A Funny Thing

Postby hushpuppy » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:02 am

HI all Just thought i would tell u about my weird but funny day on Friday . As most of u all know i got accepted into uni .Well Friday was enrolment day . After sitting in with most other people who are new at enrolling in uni we all listened to the speaker talk about uni life .Well then my heart started to beat faster as she went on about lectures tutorials exams and the like .She then put up on the big screen a normal timetable for many students ,I have enough trouble reading bus time tables but this thing was like in a different language .

After this they sent us into our groups to enroll in our selected course .
So of i went (or should i say we as i had my two year old son with me ) to enroll .
The line was huge and i would say most of them were not over the age of 25 LOL here i was 32 and with a son in the line thinking what have i done

After 1 and a half hours of tantrums screaming and bribing him with lollies , not to mention the stares and wispers from others there we finally enrolled

Outside with a smile and a sausage from the student rep number 2 was happy .Might i add he promply fell asleep in the carseat on the 5 min trip home

Made me wonder if i had made the right decision

Why am i telling u this ?
Because six months ago i would have fled there with my tail between my legs never to return

Cheers Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:44 am

Hi Jules,

I helped out at enrolment day in Hobart and there were plenty of mature age enrolees or people with babies! In my honours year there were at least 3 from memory who had kids. 1 lady had a baby half way through the year and is a single mum!

And good on you for sticking in there.

By the way if you need any advice, feel free to ask. And if you can, sign up for a student mentor through student services( I was one). It's a great way to get all your questions answered and gives you someone to talk to who knows the place and the process.

Cheers,
Tegan
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby hushpuppy » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:08 pm

Thanks Tegan

I will look into the mentor program . I have an appointment on the 16th jan with the disabilty officer there to see what i need (i am profoundly deaf)so i will ask then

Its funny i thought about it today . I am a person who hardly ever goes out of her confort zone LOL . I kinda have my daily rituals i guess u could call them that are the same

Uni is probably one of the greatest things a person could do to jump out of the comfort zone .All the info was just a little overwhelming

Thanks for your thoughts and great helps

Cheers Jules
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby Dolly » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:30 am

Hi Jules, that mentor program of Tegans sounds like a brilliant idea.
I'm so glad you stuck it through waiting in that long queue. Sometimes the only way to get the things we want, is to go out of our comfort zone.
Dolly

Postby Fairie » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:25 am

I admire you Jules, I left school when I was 14, half way through 2nd year.

I don't regret it and have often thought of doing some courses but I don't have the courage like you, so well done. :D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby BigM » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:27 am

Heh Jules, your story reminds me of a picture i saw back at my home in Thailand. My mum was still pregnant with me when she graduated with my dad (she was 30), and my brother was also standing there. I don't think there's anything wrong with mature age students, my old school teacher told me that when he was a mature age student, he use to copy answers from kids half his age lol.

I think you've made the right decision, by going out there, away from your comfort zone you can build greater confidence in yourself. I too am looking forward to uni life, there's a great gym and swimming pool at Sydny U which i'm enrolling in :).
BigM

Postby dragonfly » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:45 pm

well done. i know I would ahve run and not gone in that queue.
karin
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg
dragonfly

Postby hushpuppy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:27 pm

Thanks guys .I DOOOOOOOOOOO need to get out my confort zone . I feel as though some times i am stuck in a rut and the alone way to get out is to moooooooove that bigg butt LOL.Getting to comfortable (Usually in frount if the tellyy) is a bad thing . Hey Big M i gad a look on the uni site here and yeeeeeeeees the have a gym and a pool . U can join up at a reduced fee .. HE HE i guess i will now have no excuse not to exercise
Cheers Jules
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:37 pm

The uni gyms are not bad either. I used to go to the Hobart Uni gym for badminton, but I've just found somewhere cheaper and with a better playing surface that is less jarring on my wee ankle.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Lifestyle Talk