It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:16 am

Free Newsletter

Australia's fast food culture

Anything and everything about leading a healthy lifestyle.

Moderator: Moderators

Australia's fast food culture

Postby hazel99 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:44 am

I've noticed much media attention evolving around Australia's addiction to fast-food. Also, our overweight problem and how we're growing closely into the US. Saw it the news last night and the Weight Watchers ad thats going around. Never knew that the fast-food popularity has grown so much over the years and has taken its toll in the country.

I'm glad i changed my lifestyle and adopting eating healthier food (much thanks to Weight Watchers). If you wanna check out the tv ad its in this link
hazel99

Postby Ally » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:53 am

I think you only have to drive past any fast food outlet to see how popular it has become....I am amazed that it doesn't seem to matter what time I drive past maccas whether it be first thing in the morning or last thing at night there is always a crowd there....it is terrible...I think of all the kids that have it shoved down their necks for breakfast (being at school first thing in the morning you would be amazed the amount of kids that arrive with maccas for brekkie). We have become a lazy nation for sure.....
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:56 am

So glad I never was into that side of things. Even as a teenager I was always bemused at the fact that you would see the same people at the same place meal after meal. I always used to think "don't they know how to cook? do they have money coming out their ears?"

If/when we ever have chidlren, I fervently hope to instil a similar attitude in them
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby hazel99 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:26 pm

Ally wrote:I think you only have to drive past any fast food outlet to see how popular it has become....I am amazed that it doesn't seem to matter what time I drive past maccas whether it be first thing in the morning or last thing at night there is always a crowd there....it is terrible...I think of all the kids that have it shoved down their necks for breakfast (being at school first thing in the morning you would be amazed the amount of kids that arrive with maccas for brekkie). We have become a lazy nation for sure.....

So true, i think because this generation is so career oriented (well in Sydney anyway) that people just don't put out the time to cook good healthy meals and use take-out as a faster option. Fast food culture really is causing a problem.

Butterfly_Dawn wrote:If/when we ever have children, I fervently hope to instil a similar attitude in them

Its very often i see parents "rewarding" their kids with junk, although the occasional treat is okay, but parents much rather them sitting in front of the tele, healthy eating should be started at a young age.
hazel99

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:31 pm

theres nothing worse than offering your child healthy foods and sensible options like a sandwich etc only to have friends with kids or your own family offering them things like chocolates, cakes, biscuits, hot chips etc whilst you are trying to get them to eat the other things you have prepared. heidi eats at the dinner table with us and she has what we have- which is usually meat and three veg. she could eat apples all day long if i let her. she loves sultanas but they give her the runs and she loves yoghurts :)

oh and she will only drink water. ever since she was 12 months old and i took her off formula and a bottle she will only drink water which i love!
kate_turner2000

Postby ali » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:59 pm

I think its terrible how fast we are turning into a fast food nation.

People use the excuse of time to defend the fact that they eat take out all the time, but when you think about it, it would probably take the same amount of time to drive out there, order and eat, as it would to cook a meal at home. Cooking doesnt take that long!

I think its terrible to see parents inflicting bad habits onto young kids. When I was growing up, maccas was a huge treat. We had to drive 30mins just to get there! We hardly ever had it. I had a friend who had a much younger sister and I remember how they use to feed her maccas all the time just to stop her whinging, when she was only about 18months to 2yrs old. Children that young shouldnt be consuming that much fat in their diet! Its terrible. Even happy meals have a huge amount of fat and cals, even for an adult, let alone a child.

Im not opposed to fast food as a treat, I just think people should stop using it as an excuse and learn how to cook! It is so simple now days to make a stir fry with sauce that comes in a jar and veggies pre cut and packaged!!!! Or make it a fun time with your kids and make a healthy pizza with them!

Its so sad when you hear about those poor obese kids, that have gotten that way because their parents couldnt say no. And then the parents dont think its their fault. They are the responsible ones! Kids dont know better, but parents do. Its so bad physically and emotionally for kids to grow up overweight, and its just not fair on them.

I hope the rest of Australia can learn from us and take responsibility for their eating and learn something!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0XqXGi/]
[/url]
GOAL 1: 59KG - 30/12/07
GOAL 2: 56KG
GOAL 3: 53KG
ali

Postby ali » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:03 pm

Haha I sound so angry and passionate!

Dont get me wrong, I eat fast food too, too much! But I just think its so sad when you see those overweight kids and their parents just keep feeding them fast food.

People with kids need to be especially careful. If you dont care enough about yourself you should at least care enough to look after your kids health!

There is also way too much advertising on tv for bad food, and none for good food! And ads are so effective, I start getting cravings when I see some of those ads! And they make them so appealing, with all these skinny, good looking, popular people on them! Grr at advertisements! Lol.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0XqXGi/]
[/url]
GOAL 1: 59KG - 30/12/07
GOAL 2: 56KG
GOAL 3: 53KG
ali

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:12 pm

Time Shmime.

I ride 2 hours per day, get home at 5:30ish and still manage to home cook, pack bags, pre-make lunch get a bit of relaxation in and get to bed by 9:30.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Ally » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:49 pm

Hey Kate, my kids are the same.....they much prefer a healthy meal over crap food......I had a mum comment to me one day about how our kids are always reaching for the water....I told her that our kids only ever had 2 drinks when they were babies to toddlers and beyond and that was milk or water....she looked at me as if I had grown an extra head......but that is the way it has always been....if they are thirsty, they know to head for the water first. They have softdrink very rarely and even then it is only lemonade or lemon they are not allowed to drink coke at all. They are allowed one small glass (think throw away cup size) they know not to ask for more and without even telling them, most times they have their softdrink and then get a glass of water after......
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby hazel99 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:03 pm

ali wrote: Dont get me wrong, I eat fast food too, too much! But I just think its so sad when you see those overweight kids and their parents just keep feeding them fast food.

People with kids need to be especially careful. If you dont care enough about yourself you should at least care enough to look after your kids health!

There is also way too much advertising on tv for bad food, and none for good food! And ads are so effective, I start getting cravings when I see some of those ads! And they make them so appealing, with all these skinny, good looking, popular people on them! Grr at advertisements! Lol.

blame the advertisements as well, kids seem to love their happy meals. Although i like to reward my kids with junk sometimes, but i also love seeing them outdoors and having a run. I thought australia is a great sporting nation, how did we get to be labelled overweight?
hazel99

Postby Bread-Monster » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:34 am

There's a lot of reasons why most western societies are fast food societies. First of all, it's true, no one has enough time to cook and prepare healthy meals. Back in the old days mum would take care of that. Nowadays, women want to work, there are more single parents and women don't have time to support their families, work and take on the roles of traditional housewives. Even in stable families both men and women need to work to pay the mortgage because rate increases are inevitable and people are continuously falling into debt.

This isn't really the fault of fast food joints or advertising, they're just cashing in on an opportunity which is that people want MORE. MORE money, MORE luxuries, MORE time. Going to maccas means you can save some time...too bad that by doing so, you're losing years from your lifespan.
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

-Si vis Pacem Para bellum-
Bread-Monster

Postby lng86 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:19 am

I think the overall reason people resort to take away food is because it is much, much cheaper. The price of fruit and vegetables is being raised quite dramatically... And it is more convenient and cheaper to get a burger, chips and drink for roughly $5. Nothing costs that amount of money anymore!!!
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:27 pm

lng86 wrote:I think the overall reason people resort to take away food is because it is much, much cheaper. The price of fruit and vegetables is being raised quite dramatically... And it is more convenient and cheaper to get a burger, chips and drink for roughly $5. Nothing costs that amount of money anymore!!!

its true lauren! it is expensive to eat healthy. when you toss up whether to go to woolies and buy stuff to make a salad or go to maccas and buy a big mac meal people will choose the easiest and most inexpensive option
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:23 pm

That's weird cause I've always seen maccas or whatever as the more expensive option. I go to the shops and buy $150max on groceries which includes things like loo paper etc and probably about $120 on vegies/foodstuffs which will do me and the bloke for a week. In that is all breakfasts, lunch, snacks, dinner.

If I were to get it takeaway at say $20 per day ($5 meals plus $5 per day for snacks) which is pretty thrifty-average I would guess, that's like $140 per week for 1 person, $260 for 2!!!!!

But maybe that's just the way my brain works. I always grew up with home cooked meals, both parents worked after I was about 12ish I think. Takeaway was always a very rare thing, maybe once a month and maccas/kfc was even rarer still, like a once per year thing.

And it depends on how you do things. I just buy a big shop and cook up whatever I have that week. If you decide "tonight I will have X" and go out and buy the ingredients only to throw away what you don't use, that is very expensive.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby hazel99 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:00 pm

Butterfly_Dawn wrote:That's weird cause I've always seen maccas or whatever as the more expensive option.

But maybe that's just the way my brain works. I always grew up with home cooked meals, both parents worked after I was about 12ish I think. Takeaway was always a very rare thing, maybe once a month and maccas/kfc was even rarer still, like a once per year thing.

I agree with u all about that, i think shopping intelligently you'll find that buying healthy groceries is a lot cheaper, buying fruit and vegetables in season is best.

Looks like I lived the same childhood as you as well lol.
hazel99

Return to Lifestyle Talk