It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:32 pm

Free Newsletter

Mouth Ulcers

Share your health and beauty secrets here.

Moderator: Moderators

Mouth Ulcers

Postby Tarz » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:26 am

I have always gotten mouth ulcers, usually once every 3 to 4 months, if i am lucky 1 every 6 months and usually last anything from 1 week to 1 month. But lately i have been getting them really really bad and don't know why,
I now have a prescription paste to help get rid of them when they get bad so they aren't around for as long but i need to find out what causes them and how to prevent them.
I currently have 3 ulcers in my mouth at the moment which is making it very hard to eat properly, i can't have things like tomato sauce at the moment cause it stings so much. I have now not been ulcer free for about 1.5 months! Last week i had 3 across the my bottom lip on the inside, as soon as they started to heal up one on my tongue popped up and two on my gums. (and eating this banana right now kinda hurts the tongue one)

I have been told causes are the following:

1) lack of sleep - i get 8 to 9 hours per night so that can't be it
2) Don't clean your teeth enough - i brush my teeth everyday and most days twice a day (i don't want to briush the anamel off by brushing much more)
3) not eating enough fruit & veg - i always eat at least 2 peices of fruit per day and definately get my 5 veg!
4) stress - i use to believe this one because they did come around the same time (especialy toiwards the end of my last job) but i have not been stressing these past 2 months! They have been fairly cruisy.
5) not enough vitamin B or Vitamin C - took both vitamins for a while and still got Ulcers

Anyone got any theories or suggestions?
Tarz

Re: Mouth Ulcers

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:54 pm

I got a gum ulcer a while back and the dentist told me it was probably due to stress. I brush and floss regularly so it's not a lack of cleaning. I'm vegan so I eat BUCKETS of fruit and veg every day. My vitamin B can sometimes be a bit spotty, but I get heaps of vitamin C. And I was getting lots of sleep at the time.

So my vote is for stress. Maybe a meditation CD would be the best long term treatment?
EvilWombatQueen

Postby sassi » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:37 pm

if i drink too much alcohol i get them - which is prob related to the vitamin B & C deficiency perhaps?

did you get the prescription stuff from your dr? did they have anything to suggest what might be causing them beyond what you listed? i thought i read somewhere that some mouth ulcers are related to cold sores - same virus or something? but that's just a random thought that popped into my head - i'm not sure where that info has come from!
sassi

Postby Strawberry » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:49 pm

i get them some times. on the inside of my cheeck. i haven't questioned why i've gotten them thinking about it now it could be stress related.
i have a doctor friend she told me to dab a bit of vegimite on the ulcer, i must say it helps get rid of them. Now i wonder if its 4 the vitamine b. :?
Strawberry

Return to Health and Beauty