It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:41 am

Free Newsletter

Feed a cold, starve a fever...

Share your health and beauty secrets here.

Moderator: Moderators

Feed a cold, starve a fever...

Postby ali76 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:43 am

Is this true?

If so, does anyone know why??
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Re: Feed a cold, starve a fever...

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:17 pm

This is a tough one to answer. Current medical thought is that the saying is rubbish. The reason for this is because the last thing you need to do while you're sick is put your body under more stress or deprive it of the nutrients it needs to get better. It's thought that this saying came about when people didn't know what caused illness. They thought that low temperatures (chills) were caused by not enough fuel in the body, and fevers were caused by too much fuel. Hence feeding a cold to bring temperatures up and starving a fever to bring temperatures down.

However, one scientific study has shown that there may be a small grain of truth in the saying. Fasting and eating trigger different immune responses in the body. Eating food helps fight viruses which are the cause of colds. Fasting triggers an immune response which fights bacteria, which are often responsible for fevers.

My advice would be to simply drink plenty of fluids, get lots of rest and eat if you're hungry. Your body often knows instinctively what will help make you better so it's wise to listen to it.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Strawberry » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:43 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:This is a tough one to answer. Current medical thought is that the saying is rubbish. The reason for this is because the last thing you need to do while you're sick is put your body under more stress or deprive it of the nutrients it needs to get better. It's thought that this saying came about when people didn't know what caused illness. They thought that low temperatures (chills) were caused by not enough fuel in the body, and fevers were caused by too much fuel. Hence feeding a cold to bring temperatures up and starving a fever to bring temperatures down.

However, one scientific study has shown that there may be a small grain of truth in the saying. Fasting and eating trigger different immune responses in the body. Eating food helps fight viruses which are the cause of colds. Fasting triggers an immune response which fights bacteria, which are often responsible for fevers.

My advice would be to simply drink plenty of fluids, get lots of rest and eat if you're hungry. Your body often knows instinctively what will help make you better so it's wise to listen to it.

very impressed!
you r full of knowledge.
Strawberry

Postby Phat-Beth » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:11 pm

Science may very well say it's rubbish, but I've always found it to be true. When I'm sick, I run out of energy easily, but eating always helps me. Not huge meals (which I can see would stress out the body) but more like slightly larger than normal snacks. Thanks for the article though!

Beth
[
Phat-Beth

Postby RockStar96 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:41 am

EvilWombatQueen wrote:

Interesting link!

I always feel that it's true in a way. Also when I have a fever I'm not even hungry, and when I have a cold I'm often starving for comfort food.
RockStar96

Return to Health and Beauty