It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:15 pm

Free Newsletter

Darn acne

Share your health and beauty secrets here.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Aquagirl » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:42 am

I know so many people who use Proactiv. And all have been happy with it. And I have never heard of anyone having adverse reactions to it either. I really hope they don't stop selling this stuff.
Aquagirl

Postby SarahC » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:28 am

Proactiv sounds really great :) I've never had a huge problem with pimples on my face... blackheads are more my thing. Every single pore has got a blackhead in it - yuck! I just get the occasional pimple now on my chest or back. I wonder, does anyone know of any good acne body washes? I have looked and it's all face stuff on the shelves! I used to use the Clean and Clear body wash, but they stopped making it :(
SarahC

Postby tess88 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:44 am

Yes Aquagirl Roaccutanes side effects are terrible. But I just am putting up with it for a bit longer and ill be off it soon. I had lots of red marks on my face, not deep scars or anything just little red dots and they have all completely cleared now and I can actually wear NO makeup! Thats just crazy talk for me coz as long as I can remember I have had to wear makeup! Sarah, try using Cetaphil, its gentle on the skin but does a great job and u can use the soap or cleanser all over your bod. Its pretty cheap aswell and it can be used without water if needed!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wy8skjZ/]
[/url]
tess88

Postby Chelle » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:19 pm

I use to get really bad breakouts I tried to exfoliate & experiment with products until I had find the perfect product which I have come across OLAY Total effects + for blemish prone skin daily cleanser 100g black bottle I think it was around $15 dollas mark I have been using for about 2 months & I hardly get any pimples It was the best thing I have ever bought :D
Chelle

Postby zoeh » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:06 pm

I use this medicated lotion called 'ClindaTech' it is the only thing that has worked and has kept working. it is amazing

And I use Botany skincare products. They are more effective than Jurlique with the same principles.

I love their products!
zoeh

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:56 pm

argh! my face has broken out again :( even mick commented on it last night after i said that lately my hair had been getting really oily (i think its from the new sunsilk shampoo i brought) and mick said 'oh i have noticed your skin has been breaking out a bit too, but its ok cos i love you no matter what you look like' lol. grreeaaat. going shopping tomorrow to try and get something for it, its very embarrassing :(
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:50 am

Hey Kate do you find you break out when you are due for TTOTM??

My neice had really bad acne and she used a natural product from Avon and although she still breaks out this stuff is really good for getting rid of them....it is the tea tree and grapefruit one....I will have to get back to you with the name of it...hubby has gone to work with my catalogue in the car :roll: .
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:43 pm

ah yes checking out the catalogue now and its naturals purifying tea tree and grapefruit- face cream, 2 in 1 cleanser blemish stick and theres the peel off mask too.

i will have to order that from my sister next time around ally. today i brought something cant think of the name of it as it has been put in the bathroom already and it has benzoyl peroxide in it so hopefully that helps.

nah i am about 2-3 weeks off ttotm but i do usually break out. my skin problem is all hormonal from the pcos.

thanks !!!
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:13 pm

no worries Kate...I have ordered some of the cleanser for my daughter....I hope it works for you.... 8)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby reester33 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:32 pm

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum but I was very interested in this thread as acne and excess oil was driving me crazy! And yes, I've just been diagnosed with PCOS. I thought I might share some of the "pearls" I've discovered on my quest to retain my once blemish-proof complexion....

I have had some good results with minimising pores and removing blackheads by using Clinique but I was still getting those horrible blind heads...OUCH :!: The latest was on my stomach, but I commonly get them on my shoulders and the back of my neck....can't use facewash there! :lol:

Being of a medical background I've been investigating the problem. Unfortunately it is a hormone imbalance, however it is specifically related to insulin levels. Increased insulin = increased testosterone = increased oestrogen = increased inflammation, oil, etc. So whilst cleansing decreases the oil you can still get those painful pimples at TTOTM as oestrogen levels increase.

So how can you limit the hormone imbalance (ie: improve insulin resistance)? Weight loss and exercise! :) Specifically I've read that a low GI diet and regular resistance exercise is most beneficial. Well, derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :lol:

I also came across the "acne free in 3 days" gimmick....silly man....he gives 5 free hints via email.....I don't need the book now!

Step 1 - use glycerin or sorbitol soap/facewash
Step 2 - regular exfoliation (be wary - this can harden your skin if you do it too often). He recommends alpha or beta hydroxy acids (ie: salicylate - most acne skincare products use either this or benzyl peroxide)
Step 3 - Cut the sugar (well ain't that obvious if you are insulin resistant like me?)
Step 4 - Plenty of Vit C and water (both important for skin repair and hydration)
Step 5 - Use sunblock

Hellooooooooooooo? Don't we women do most of this already?

I have not used Proactiv....although I did think about it....once! It contains Benzyl peroxide (BP) which burnt my skin in another product (I think it was Clean & Clear). BP is a bleach....just check your towels after using! Plus it even said on the pack not to go out in sunlight as it can bleach your skin. That was enough to turn me off.

I hope somebody out there finds this useful,

:) Maree
reester33

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:38 pm

Hey maree

very interesting read thanks!

i have pcos and no matter what i do i get breakouts. my dr wont change my pill or give me something stronger to help- you are right its hormone related. and although i havent tried proactice i recently got the clean and clear with the benzoyl in it and atfer i wash my face using it, it goes really dry. my face washers have gone white from the bleach lol. knew that would happen though and im waiting for my eyebrows to go white now haha.
kate_turner2000

Postby reester33 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:53 pm

Hey Kate,

The pill doesn't treat the hormone imbalance....just stops you ovulating (the cause of the pain!).

There has been some research done with metformin which is actually a diabetic drug, but may help with improving insulin sensitivity and lowering insulin and androgen (ie: testosterone) levels in the blood. I haven't been prescribed either as yet (cross fingers for this Thursday)....however your Doctor may want to check fasting glucose and insulin levels first. As this is a relatively new treatment for things other than diabetes most doctors may be reluctant to prescribe it.

:) Maree
reester33

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:57 pm

yep had bloods and been on metformin but it made me sick even with the slow increase of it over time. i spent over two months on the toilet :? i was told i could go on a medication to help with the acne but it would contribute to weight gain but my dr was also reluctant to prescribe it and told me to try all the products on the market first. they only reason i havent tried proactive is because i dont have the money for it nor the time to buy it. i do notice however that when i eat really healthy i notice my face seems clearer but i dont think there has been a time - except for pre-pubety that i have had a completely clear face. ive thrown out school photos because i have been so embarrassed by how i looked.
kate_turner2000

Postby reester33 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:12 pm

Yeah, I had read that some people get bad side effects with metformin. :? And I notice a real change in my skin when I eat properly. Oh well, we'll just have to keep plugging away. I'm off to the POSAA conference in August....so maybe I can find out some more info there. I'll let you know.

:) M
reester33

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:13 pm

sounds good maree be sure to let me know, there are a few other girls on the forum with the same problem so i am sure they would be interested in hearing about it as well :)
kate_turner2000

Previous

Return to Health and Beauty