It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:50 am

Free Newsletter

Thyroid

Share your health and beauty secrets here.

Moderator: Moderators

Thyroid

Postby Sassygirl » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:50 pm

Hello everyone! Just wondering does anyone else on this forum suffer from thyroid (underactive) and hashimotos?? :lol:
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:16 am

i think dolly has a thyroid problem :(
kate_turner2000

Postby Dolly » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:18 am

Hi Sassygirl, yes I suffer from Hypothyroidism and it truly sucks. It's been estimated as being 3 times harder to lose weight than the struggles of a person with a working metabolism.

Each morning I take my thyroid medication - but I still don't lose weight.
*Then in the afternoon I take a kelp tablet (full of iodine) to help switch the metabolism on.
*then because my joints and muscles are aching I cannot walk so I *sit in front of the TV with some dumbbells and do 10 minutes of weights and 5 minutes of sit ups.
*then because hypothyroids lose hair, I had to nourish my hair with eating plenty of protein (if I wish to be 80 kilo's I have to eat 80grams of protein) but some of the protein has to be keratin found in gelatin. So everyday I eat one packet of gelatin mixed with a diet jelly. Keratin protein is what hair and nails are made out of.
*then because the 30 diets I've tried don't seen to work on me I went on the Tony Ferguson diet and am now slowly having some success (but basically any diet that is rich in nutrients and super low on calories will work)
Dolly

Postby Sassygirl » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:15 am

I know what you mean Dolly. I was losing hair, tired and moody. The tiredness is like nothing I have ever experienced and would want to again. I couldn't even get out of bed and ended up crying continually - couldn't stop. I thought that I had something more sinister so was a bit relieved when the Dr said it was Thyroid and Hashi's. Must admit it is damn hard to lose weight. I tend to lose 3 kilos and put back on 4 - not fair. I find that my knees ache continually - so I also find it hard to walk - but I am still walking (just paying for it afterwards!!!).

Sassygirl

Postby slimmindown » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:17 am

I also have an underactive thyroid problem sassygirl, it is harder to loose weight than others for me, but I try hard every day and hope for the best 8)
For me ,now that I've had my light bulb moment when it comes to being overweight, it is better than saying it is too hard and not bothering and just getting bigger. Which is what I did before... :?
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby Sassygirl » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:51 am

I thought that I had had my "light bulb" moment whilst trying to climb a mountain near Albany - but alas it didn't work. Am hoping this time will be different. And I am not going to use my medical problem as an excuse (but I must admit that I still get tired!!!!)

Sassygirl

Postby jessbabes » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:30 am

Yeah well, I have NO THYROID!

My weight is driving me insane - I was born with out one.
jess baird
jessbabes

Postby Mandie » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:39 am

If you are having adequate replacement of thyroid hormone (thyroxine) - checked regularly by your GP and found to be within normal levels - then it doesn't matter whether you have a thyroid or not, and you will not be suffering from the lack of thyroid - therefore it will not be harder for you to lose weight.

The problems from an overactive or underactive thyroid occur because the body has too much thyroxine, or too little thyroxine.

If you are on tablets to counter the thyroxine (if you have too much), or tablets to replace the thyroxine (if you don't have any/enough), you will not suffer any symptoms because you now have NORMAL thyroxine levels.

Does that make sense?

I know it's tough for people with various diseases, but I think understanding this is important.. if you are having trouble losing weight, get your thyroid hormone levels checked. if they are within the normal range, then it is NOT affecting weight loss and you cannot use that as an excuse - there might be something else going on.
Mandie

Postby SarahC » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:04 pm

What would happen if you had an overactive thyroid? I haven't heard of that before...

I'm still too chicken to go for my blood test! I should though, as I have many of the symptoms :(
SarahC

Postby Mandie » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:22 pm

Overactive basically just the opposite of underactive.. so you would lose weight despite an increased appetite, be sweaty, have a tremor of the hands, unable to concentrate, feel anxious, and have an increased heart rate. They can often get really high heart rates that can lead to irregular rhythms and even heart attacks.. in lots of ways overractive thyroid is more "dangerous" to the body in the short term.
Mandie

Postby Sassygirl » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:25 pm

Thanks for that info Mandie (so good to have our own doctor on board hehehehehe). My thyroid seems to have come under control - so I am really pleased about that. I am now on 150mg of thyroxine - so hopefully that is where I will stay for the time being!

Being a Doctor - what is your definition of Hashimotos?

Sassygirl

Postby Mandie » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:40 pm

That's great that it's under control SassyGirl :) It's one of those things that can be quite tough to do in many people - get that normal level! But it can and should be achieved, and once it is, you should be right!

Hashimoto's.. you're testing me here! It's an autoimmune condition, so basically your own body decides to attack your thyroid for some unknown reason. To start with, you sometimes get symptoms of overactive thyroid because as the thyroid is attacked, it panics and releases more thyroid hormone than usual. However, most people don't notice until it enters the second stage - when parts of the thyroid have been destroyed and you become underactive.. with all the symptoms you described (tiredness, trouble losing weight despite decreased appetite, muscle/joint aches, depression, thin/falling out hair, etc). You will need to be on replacement thyroid hormone for life, most likely. It can take a while to get the dosage right because if you catch it early, your thyroid might not be done being damaged yet! Unfortunately there is no cure, but the symptoms can indeed by controlled by adequate medication.

Does that help? My memory of Hashi is a bit fuzzy, so I hope that's right :P
Mandie

Postby Sassygirl » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:35 am

That is basically what I have been reading on the internet - so thanks for that Mandie!!!

Sassygirl

Postby Amaranthine » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:19 pm

As a kid I was constantly going from overactive to underactive thyroid. My weight yo-yoed something shocking.
When I was 13 I had to get my thyroid gland removed, and have been on Thyroxine tablets since, and will be forever.
I do occasionally miss a day or two from taking my tablets, simply because I just forget.
I realise how bad it is, but you can't help forgetfullness sometimes.
It's good to know other people have similar conditions, and people who understand that it DOES affect losing weight, a lot.
-Rhianna
Amaranthine

Re: Thyroid

Postby Freddy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:23 am

Since hardly any man has the guts to post in a health and beauty forum, I will ;)

I suffer from hypothyroidism as well. It basically sucks. Nothing seems to work well with that :(
Freddy

Next

Return to Health and Beauty