It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:34 pm

Free Newsletter

migraine attacks.

Share your health and beauty secrets here.

Moderator: Moderators

migraine attacks.

Postby jonty » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:22 pm

have been wondering since ages as to why does this happen... Is this stress related and what is the cure.
jonty

Postby evangalina » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:23 pm

hi jonty,

I suffer from migraine terribly.. One of the reasons for migraine is stress related too but this is the major factor which if not checked at the right time might trigger off to a killing headache..

i tried vasograin but this only gave me temporary relief . Went back to my doctor who then changed my medicine and put me on cafergot usagecafergot. This drug is primarily for treating severe cases of migraine with or without aura.

:the drug should be given at the first symptoms of an attack. An initial dose of 2 tablets orally is recommended. For subsequent attacks the initial dose may be increased to 3 tablets, depending on the total dose required in previous attacks.
for children the dosage is different.
evangalina

Postby Dolly » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:59 pm

Good question Jonty,
My mother-in-law gets a food allergy migraine when she eats chocolate or banana, she's sick in bed for 3 days.

My brother-in-law however, gets tension migraines when he doesn't get things done or worries about his family or money problems. He gets tight shoulders and things go dark and he vomits for about 2 days.

I get premenstrual migraines (lack of estrogen headaches) that last for around 24 hours they are strong painful, make me sheild from noise and light and more often than not I vomit.
In most cases a monthly lack of estrogen is the cause leading to the development of migraines in women.
click here - https://mp.medimpact.com/webmd/Encyclop ... hTopic.jsp

A new finding states that artificial sweetners (aspartame) cause migraines and hairloss and MS and nerve pains.

Dolly
Dolly

Postby tanya » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:39 pm

i was getting migraines atleast once a week. and they would last for 72 hours. my doctor took me off my pill and ive been off it for a month now. i have had quite a few headaches but no migraines. nothing any where near as severe. ive got a couple more months to see how it goes. but at this stage it looks like i may not be going back on it. now i will have to find some other contraceptive besides condoms because im not quite ready to have kids yet. has anyone else had any problems with migraines?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgVAbhK/]
[/url]

'Changing to a healthier lifestyle'
Mini goal: To get to 85kg!
tanya

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:02 pm

When I was in my early teens I developed migraines. We couldn't figure out why and I would get them around once per month. Then my chiropractor figured out that they always happened after a stressful event (eg, fight with parents, grandmother dying etc). After that I only have the occasional one, 1 or 2 a year, but these don't seem to be linked to stressful events, just appear to be random.

My partner used to get really bad migraines and used to vomit whenever he ate chocoalte - he doesn't like chocolate much these days, but can eat it.

I don't think they quite know what causes them and they can have differnt reasons in different people, but migraines usually have some kind of visual disturbance (i described it as pixellation in my peripheral vision).

There was nothing I could do to stop mine, just have a cup of tea (seemed to work a bit, and apparently caffeine can help somehow) and go to sleep). Apparently sucking on ice can also help as it cools the blood flow to the brain.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:19 pm

as strange as it sounds, if i drink too much water i get a headache. it makes me feel yuck. i know when my body has had enough so to speak because i get a headache. its usually just before 3litres. i was starting to get migraines after heidi and since losing some weight the migraines have gone, they used to be so bad that i would put heidi to bed at 6pm and follow just after that!
kate_turner2000

Postby Mandie » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:13 pm

Yep, they are caused by all different things, and can cause all different symptoms in different people.

I'm "lucky" with my migraines, they don't come very often and while my head feels like it is going to implode and I am constantly running to the toilet to dry retch or throw up and I feel like I'm going to die, I've learned to recognise the early signs and if I take some pain killers (Nurofen Plus) really early, that can usually knock me out, I go to sleep for a few hours and wake up okay.

As someone else mentioned - caffeine is supposed to help, my GP has a really strong coffee when she feels one coming on, and that apparently stops her. Doesn't work for me personally.

One of the most frustrating things is figuring out
a) what causes your migraines - do you have a trigger? can you prevent it? (e.g. food allergy, the pill)
and
b) how can I prevent them/cure them when they happen?

Anyway, they suck. Good luck!

(btw there are heaps of new preventer meds and other stuff including some nasal sprays that are apparently quite good, so if you are suffering, see your doctor!)
Mandie

Postby tanya » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:18 pm

i was taking mersedol for them. (night strenght) it was the only way i could go about my dad. they seemed to be caused by my eyes. well that what i thought. i was always getting one on mondays after being at tafe for 4.5 hrs. but last week i got a nasty headache but it didnt become a migraine. so i havnt had any mersendol for a month and i feel heaps better. its not nice being drugged up all the time. i also havnt found that a food triggers it off for me.
but when i ate it made my head feel better until i stopped and it was immediately back. weird :roll: maybe thats one of the reasons why i have put on some weight. amongst othe reasons.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgVAbhK/]
[/url]

'Changing to a healthier lifestyle'
Mini goal: To get to 85kg!
tanya

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:25 pm

funny how coffee is often prescribed as a cure. Since I developed migraines I can't touch coffee or coke with a barge pole. Don't know if I just associated it or whether it was a possible trigger, but I can't stomach them now. Tea on the other hand I love.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Health and Beauty