It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:49 am

Free Newsletter

Make-up techniques

Share your health and beauty secrets here.

Moderator: Moderators

Make-up techniques

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:06 pm

Ok ladies (and any blokes who are into it)
I'm trying to brush up on my make-up technique and learn how to do a proper job of it for my wedding (in a year - and I will need it).

What are your tips to a beautiful make-up job?????
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:20 pm

i wouldnt mind reading a few good tips myself!!!

one i know is to put your eyeliner in the freezer for a bit before you use it so its not smudgey and goes on easily :P
kate_turner2000

Postby Jisgone » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:46 pm

my best friends a beauty therapist, she gives me loads :P

*put moisturiser on 5 minutes before your foundation
*always apply foundation with a sponge, using your hands heats it up too much and changes the consistency
*if your using eyeliner on the bottom of your eyes only put it half way across, from the outside in so it opens up your eyes
*use lip liner to fill in your lips before u put lipstick over the top (it makes it last longer)
*after youve put your makeup on use blotting paper on any parts that look shiney
*with eye shadow start with light shades under your eyebrows then get darker as u go down
*clean your mascara brush every now and then!!
*blend your foundation into your neck and the sides of your face, and remember your skin colour changes through the seasons, so your foundation should too
Jisgone

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:18 pm

Jewles wrote:my best friends a beauty therapist, she gives me loads :P

*put moisturiser on 5 minutes before your foundation
*always apply foundation with a sponge, using your hands heats it up too much and changes the consistency "tick"
*if your using eyeliner on the bottom of your eyes only put it half way across, from the outside in so it opens up your eyes
*use lip liner to fill in your lips before u put lipstick over the top (it makes it last longer)
*after youve put your makeup on use blotting paper on any parts that look shiney
*with eye shadow start with light shades under your eyebrows then get darker as u go down "tick"
*clean your mascara brush every now and then!!
*blend your foundation into your neck and the sides of your face, and remember your skin colour changes through the seasons, so your foundation should too

i got a lot to learn haha
kate_turner2000

Postby Jisgone » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:11 pm

haha its a case of do as i say not as i do :P
unless im going somewhere fancy i only wear foundation (put on with my fingers) and mascara
i sleep with make up on, always forget to moisturise and only cleanse and tone if im very very bored hehe
Jisgone

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:15 pm

yeah i wear foundation and mascara every day and never take it off lol
kate_turner2000

Postby hushpuppy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:01 pm

hey guys the best place to pick up tips about colours n stuff is to go have a maeover at myers ect at the beuty stand . The dont cost anything but they wil tyr get u to buy there produst so just tell them u will see how it takes to your skin during the day ect
Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Postby milkyway » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:16 pm

Bronzing powder is your best friend. It gives you a healthy glow without the damage of the sun. :)

It's good to get professional advice about the tones and the colours you should use to match your skin colour and bring out your eyes. It's great fun, too! I had it done once with my sister -- we saw a personal stylist and got the colour wheel we can take shopping for clothes as well as advice on the make up styles and make up colours that suit us best.

Myer etc. might be OK, but you'll be limited to one product line that they'll really try to sell on you.

It's also good to check your make up under various lights to make sure it's even and OK (e.g. daylight, under yellow light, flouro etc.)

I don't wear it all the time, so I find that make up can be fun :D
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:37 am

good tip about the myer jules. im afraid that when i go shopping i already have my face on and if they were to remove it to reapply some makeup i think id scare the hell out of them! haha. but ive heard of people doing that before a big night out! and then they get their makeup done with really good products at no cost! at my local westfield centre they have a napolean perdis shop too where they do the same thing :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Vegetable » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:19 am

hahahaha I remember a few years back my mum getting her makeup done at myer, they took off all her makeup then only did half of her face!!! :D hahahahaha it has hilarious! (Not very funny for my mum though who had to walk around all day half and half!)
Vegetable

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:50 am

the number one beauty tip I can give you is: primer. Primer, Primer, Primer. I think it's the most important part ask any make up artist and they'd agree.

Secondly get yourself some good make up brushes. I went to Napoleon and bought the kit, it costs around $500 but the brushes are so soft you can tell the difference with the cheapo ones.

As to eye shadow I prefer to use lose powder (as it's so much easier to apply with a brush) benefit, napoleon and shiseido have fantastic colours and ranges. The pots range from $30 up but well worth it cos they last.

Get yourself a good eye shadow pallet- i like the david jones one as it has some great brown and greens. good for blending.

As to lippys I prefer lip gloss to lip stick. Some of my favs are lancome, clinique, christian dior, Yves Saint Luarent- I like the pink glosses.

If you don't like to wear foundation bronzers are great they just give you a natural sun kissed look. This is what i wear on weekends as I like to give my skin a break.

I love make up. My partner thinks I spend way to much money on it but I can't help it :oops:

make sure to have a good routine of cleansing, toning and moisturising otherwise you will find your skin will get quit bad. Use make up wipes to remove all make up before cleansing face.

I great site I go to is makeupalley it's a forum and can ask lots of question and get lots of tips.

Ok I have to stop procrastinating and get back to work *sigh*

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:24 am

LOL wish i had 500 bucks to spend on anything let alone a good set of brushes haha
kate_turner2000

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:37 am

It's one of those days where I can't seem to concentrate on work and just procrastinating oh well............................Nothing urgent pending ( :lol: :lol: so naughty)

Haha Kate, if I had a child I don't think I would be able to afford little treat either. Everyone keeps telling me how expensive children are, especially my mum but hey I work hard for my money so I deserve to treat myself until the brats, opps I mean the little darlings turn up...hopefully not for another 10 years :D :D .

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:56 am

hehe thats true, you work for your money so you can spend what you want :)
kate_turner2000

Postby milkyway » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:37 pm

Another tip I thought of this morning while putting on eye make up. Have you ever had your eye make up 'fall off' during the course of the day or night? That used to always happen to me (uh oh, I sound like one of those dreaded infomercials :lol:)

You can get an undercoat product that makes the eyeshadow last and last and the great thing is, you can use cheap eye shadows with it and they will stay on forever until you wash them off. I have some Chanel eyeshadows that last forever without the undercoat, but I use cheap Maybelline and Cover Girl stuff with the undercoat as well and they work just as well as the expensive brands.

In regards to make up brushes, I swear by a foundation brush. You can pick up a good one of excellent quality that will last a lifetime from the Body Shop for around $40.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Next

Return to Health and Beauty