It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:43 pm

Free Newsletter

Help - I'm freezing!!!

Share your health and beauty secrets here.

Moderator: Moderators

Help - I'm freezing!!!

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:43 pm

Hi everyone!

The last couple of years I have suffered really bad in the winter.. I am ALWAYS cold, no matter how many layers I have on!!!! I wear a singlet, long sleeved top, and a jacket on top + a scarf and 2 pairs of socks (1 anklets, 1 knee-high) and I am never ever warm!!!
And whenever I'm cold, no one else is!? All the time at my course I'm sitting inside where the heating is on, and someone will say "Is anyone else a bit warm? Can we turn the heating off?" and I just think "Oh noooo, I'm cold already!!!"

I've been looking up on the net things to help circulation, all I've found so far is eating garlic & cayenne pepper, drinking tea, and one really interested article I read mentioned hot/cold changes in the shower. Like you run the shower on warm/hot for a bit, then run the cold a few times. And of course there's taking Gingko Biloba supplements too.

Does anyone have any handy hints for increasing circulation!? I've always thought that I've just been cold cos of losing weight and 'insulation', but this is just getting beyond a joke!! It's getting to the point where I can't wear nice tops out to dinner and stuff anymore because I have to cover them up with big jumpers/jackets to try keep warm!!

Thanks guys
Em
zeedeveelgirl

Postby BubbleButt » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:06 pm

Hi Em,

I get very cold, especially in winter and my hubby calls me Nosferatu.. :lol: Do you find that if you don't move around for a while you have "sleepy feet"? I cramp up at night in winter and I believe that's a symptom of bad circulation too. The coldest parts of me seem to be my feet, ankles and my hands (especially the tips of my fingers).

Have you ever seen a Remedial Therapist? I went to one because I suffered from some nasty headaches brought on by stress at work and while he was in the process of relieving that pain without medication, he asked me if I suffered from cold feet and hands and when I told him yes (and asked how the hell he figured that out :lol: ), he said that it was because I suffered from poor circulation.

He gave me a range of options to try to relieve that coldness that I feel all the time and to go with what worked best for me. I still have them all written down, which I went and looked for after reading your post so that I could let you know what they were.

1. Remedial Massage
2. Exercise (walking and swimming - but be careful because if you get tingly feet or legs from walking it could do more damage)
3. Aromatherapy Massage
4. Acupuncture
5. Reflexology
6. Tai Chi or Chi Kung (which is a little easier to learn than Tai Chi)
7. Yoga
8. Herbalism
9. Homeopathy

For me, I learnt how to do my own remedial massage from my hips down which help me with the circulation to my feet and I increased my garlic intake with my main meal each day (not so much that it overpowers everything and stays on my breath or anything though) and I reduced my tomato intake.

I have done Tai Chi and didn't mind it, however would love to try Chi Kung instead because that concentrates on breathing and relaxation more. I also want to try acupuncture as I've been told it's fantastic. I also get my hubby to massage my lower back with some lemon aromatherapy oil each night before I go to sleep and it seems to help with the cramping (although when AF comes to visit, it doesn't work so well).

For my fingers, I actually find that I crack my knuckles and I feel blood flowing to my finger tips.. :lol:.. but I do massage my hands with the aromatherapy oils aswell and it helps more. My great grandmother used to warm some milk up and soaked her hands in it until the milk was tepid. She believed it improved circulation while making your hands soft also. Can't say I've tried it though, but I'm sure I'll give it a go one day.

Hope that helps you out a bit, but if you want any other info, feel free to pm me or if you are on messenger, just add me and I'll give you all the info I have.

Cheryl
:mrgreen:
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
BubbleButt

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:18 am

Hiya Cheryl!

Wow, thanks for all the tips! I'm actually a Massage Therapist, studying to be a Remedial Massage Therapist, so I do get parts of my body massaged a couple of times a week :) My hands and feet are always cold, luckily my hands warm up once I start massaging or I'd be in trouble!!!

The self-massage is a great idea though!! And I'd love to get some reflexology done too.. I've heard that dry body brushing is great as well, need to give that one a go!! Mum keeps telling me to go get my Thyroid checked because one of the symptoms of underactive thyroid is inability to tolerate the cold!

Thanks so much for typing out all of those things for me, I'm going to give them a go one by one :D

Em
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Maraver » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:55 am

I do agree its a bit chilly Adelaide way at the moment
Pam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Postby yummymummy » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:42 pm

This may not help solve the cause of your excessive coldness but may help relieve the symptoms- have you tried the stick on mini heat packs that are meant to provide warmth for upto 12 hours, you could maybe stick one on your tummy to help you warm up, I learnt at uni that if you apply heat to your abdomen its meant to encourage circulation to your limbs and make you feel warmer
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:50 pm

Oooh that's a good idea!!! I might go out and buy some if they're not too expensive!! Ooh I'm a bit excited now! Thanks for that :D
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Fairie » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:27 pm

Is it only cold here in Adelaide? :?

DH solution is to drink some Port after 1 or 2 you get nice & warm :P I like to heat up my Lavender Wheat Bag in the micro an put it where ever I'm cold, I also take it to bed like a hot water bottle. :D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Maraver » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:33 pm

Me tooooo :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Postby Fairie » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:37 pm

Was that me too for the Port or Lavender Bag Pam. :wink: :P
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:46 pm

Yeah I've been having the wheat bag on my tummy this evening.It's worked a treat :D :D
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:33 pm

I also tend to feel the cold, particularly in my feet (sorry, that kinda made the original post hard to decipher didn't it) which which are practically permanently cold except when exercising or in the morning in bed. It has been pretty cold in Hobart these past days. Being active helps warm me up, so doing some exercise etc - but sitting around studying is bad bad bad.
Last edited by Butterfly_Dawn on Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Chelle » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:33 pm

I feel the cold really easily too. People use to tell me to go to the chemist there are tablets you can take that will warm up the blood I never have tried them but you could always ask.
Chelle

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:38 pm

Really!? Maybe I'll check that out as well! I've never heard of anything like that, it's worth checking out! Cheers for that :)
zeedeveelgirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:29 pm

i cannot get my backside warm today! its the coldest part on my body at the moment. grrr
kate_turner2000

Postby Sassygirl » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:08 pm

It is 20 degrees over here which is not that bad except for the wind that is quite cold. I have a permanent scarf attached to my neck these days.
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Next

Return to Health and Beauty