It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:12 am

Free Newsletter

Has anyone suffered from this??

Share your health and beauty secrets here.

Moderator: Moderators

Has anyone suffered from this??

Postby twinkleStar » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:09 pm

Before this month, I rarely ever had any urinary problems.
Last week, I had one incident where I had the sudden urge to go to the bathroom and had to bolt out of class. I "leaked" a little bit of urine even before I had the chance to go. After that, my symptoms of urgency and frequency increased about 10 fold.

I went to a health center and they performed an urinalysis. It was negative for WBC but they still gave me Duricef 3 days. They said it was possible for my urine to be diluted and be - for WBCs if I had been drinking a lot of fluids. (I was)

My symptoms have gotten better but now I have the problem of "leaking" some urine throughout the day. The symptoms of urgency/frequency are not as intense as they were. My bladder can't seem to hold a lot of urine. This is quite embarassing considering my age.

I don't have to wake up at night to urinate nor do I have any accidents at night.

Do you have any suggestions as to what to do? It is a total confidence downer when you have had symptoms of urinary urgency every so often that has been increasing in intensity. I am a 22 y/o woman. Before this month, I rarely ever had any urinary problems. :cry:
twinkleStar

Postby Mandie » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:20 pm

Sounds like you probably had a urinary tract infection.. did they send the sample to the lab for culture? It takes a couple of days for results, but it's good to know sometimes.

Maybe try going back to your doctor.. it sounds like you could still have an infection there.

Some other ideas - how much water do you drink per day? how much caffeine/alcohol? Often people come into the doctor's surgery complaining of frequency, while clutching water bottles and then telling you they drink 3-4L per day - no wonder they are always peeing!! Remember, tea/coffee/coke/other caffienated beverages are diuretics, meaning they dilute the urine - therefore you make more of it to get rid of the same amount of waste.

Have you been feeling more thirsty lately? More tired/lethargic? Have you noticed any blurry vision, tingling in your toes/feet, headaches? Do you have a family history of diabetes? It seems unlikely that you DO have diabetes from the symptoms you had, but it's definitely worth checking out - ask your doctor for a fasting blood sugar test (he can give you a form, you fast overnight and have the blood test in the morning) and make sure it's not that.

Best of luck, I'd definitely recommend you head back to the doctor and get those extra things checked out... so you want to ask for:
1. Another urinalysis (and don't drink too much on the day so the sample won't be too diluted)
2. Ask for your sample to be sent to the lab for culture
3. Ask for a blood sugar test

One other thing that can cause urinary symptoms is an STD like chlamydia or gonorrhoea... so that might be worth thinking about, if you have recently changed partners/stopped using condoms. If you're worried, you can get that checked out at the doctors too, with a simple swab test.

Good luck!
Mandie

Postby Chelle » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:38 pm

Great advice Mandie has said, deffinately head back to the doctors, also you could try some pelvic floor muscles even though you have never had a child before it is always good to strengthen the muscles up.
Chelle

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:42 pm

yep thats what i thought when i first read it. cos a lot of women have problems with leakage due to pelvic floor muscles.

what else id suggest (besides seeing the dr again) is to go to the toilet even if you dont feel like you need to go because with the amount of water you are consuming you will probably find once you sit on the toilet that you need to go anyway. once you have done a wee lean forward on the seat and see if anymore comes out. when i was hevaily pregnant i was told to do that because it helps to empty the bladder out more and lo and behold when i did it more would tinkle out (sorry tmi)!
kate_turner2000

Postby twinkleStar » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:05 pm

In fact the doctor said that it's not Urinary tract, but I am thinking that it is this only.Perhaps I should try to go to another GP for more deeper tests???What do you think??
twinkleStar

Postby Chelle » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:07 pm

Yeah get a second opion!!
Chelle

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:17 pm

yeah doesnt hurt to get a second opinion ;)
kate_turner2000

Postby Mandie » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:24 pm

sure, get a second opinion. and your doctor shouldn't say its not urinary tract on the basis of one test... its a really simple, cheap test so there is no harm in retesting it.

One of the places where doctors can fall into trouble is when they come up with a diagnosis and stick to it, and refuse to re-think it. We are taught that if the patient re-presents with the same symptoms, RECONSIDER your diagnosis! diseases present in all different ways in different people, and it's important not to miss anything!

Oh and I agree with Kates idea of making sure there is no residual urine in the bladder (as she said, lean forward to make sure you're "done"), and Chelles post about the pelvic floor exercises.. it is NEVER too early to start!
Mandie

Return to Health and Beauty