It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:08 pm

Free Newsletter

Winter dryness

Share your health and beauty secrets here.

Moderator: Moderators

Winter dryness

Postby shelbel » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:04 pm

Is anyone else's hair and skin really dry during winter?

Im finding mines really bad this winter. Any suggestions? I already use a treatment in my hair once a week and it feels good for a day or two then drys out again! Ive started thinking of having a chop! Maybe i should try a new face cream too??

Any suggestions on whats good would be very helpful!!
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:32 pm

hey shel bel sorry i cant really help you! due to my pcos i get really oily skin and hair (it has to be washed every day). my skin has dried out because of the cleanser im using at the moment but i am still getting breakouts :roll:

maybe try switching shampoo and conditioner to one for dry hair and get a spray leave in conditioner to use whilst styling?

when i had my hair spiral permed years ago they gave this stuff called revitafoam to me to put in my hair. it smells soo nice! i recently went to price attack and got some. its about 15 bucks for a slim can of it but it lasts for ages.
kate_turner2000

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:04 pm

Hi shelbel, I have the same problem, really dry skin, hands and hair....skin wise (face) I just use Johnson's clean and clear range, (cheap and cheerful from the chemist or supermarket :D) which Is great...body wise I either use plain old sorbolene or a hydrating moisturiser....I cant remember what its called but it was like $7.00 for a huge bottle from the supermarket and lasts ages and seems to work really well...about 60 times a day I use vaseline brand moisturising hand cream, also in a huge pump bottle about $5.00 (can u see the trend yet? Im pretty stingy lol :lol: ) hair wise my ONLY indulgence or treat that I buy for myself is my pantene shampoo and conditioner, and it is fan-f-ing-tastic! :lol: I just love it, it makes my hair shiny and smooth and soft, I probably wash it every third day, and it lasts really well....not that cheap, about $10.00 per bottle, but a bottle of each will last me about 3 weeks...
Hope thats been helpful! :D Oh, and if you get dry, blistered lips in winter like I do (chronically unfortunately :roll: ) I use blistex which is a little pot of lip balm about $4.00 and is brilliant, I use it about 10 times a day and its a must :) xx
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby milkyway » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:07 pm

I find that hanging out in a room with the heater on tends to dry out my skin. I put a big bowl of water out next to the heater so it evaporates. Not sure if helps a lot or not...
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby sassi » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:46 am

i have the same problem - my hair i put down to having blonde highlights for a while, so i got a semi-perm dark brown recently & that's done the trick.

my skin is also horrendously dry - i treated myself to a new moisturiser from ella bache a little while ago & it's taken the redness & dryness out of my skin.

body-wise i've been using bodyshop moisturisers. i think the main thing is to use it every day - i find if i'm too lazy to moisturise one day i notice how dry my skin is as a result.

i've also been taken flaxseed capsules for about a week to try and help.

i agree with gracie about blistex - it's fab!
sassi

Postby Playboy_bunny » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:19 am

Go the blistex!! :D hehe
Milkyway, my nana does that, she puts a big green jug of water in front of the heater....I asked her once how often she changed the water, and she said 'ummm last year sometime' :shock: ewww lol not I make a point of changing the water 3 times a week when I visit her! :lol: Dont want legionares growing or anything! lol j/k
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Chelle » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:31 am

I find that my skin in winter get dry & itchy every year I swapped body wash to St Ives swiss formular Oatmeal & Shea butter moisturizing body wash for extra dry skin I find a bit difference it's really good.
Chelle

Postby shelbel » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:39 pm

ohh some great suggestions, thanks, i'll shopping with my new list on thurs! :D

Im a cheapie also and wont buy new products when i already have some sitting there! But i think i'll have to make an exception for this!
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Return to Health and Beauty