It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:17 am

Free Newsletter

Antibiotic rant

Share your health and beauty secrets here.

Moderator: Moderators

Antibiotic rant

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:12 am

*%$#&$ antibiotics. I hate them. GRRRRRR

despite taking the probiotocs TWICE daily to make up for killing all the poor little buggers and hopefully keep everything vaguely in balance, I'm STILL beginning to get the dreaded thrush. AND it makes me feel urrghy in the tummy generally. AND you have to organise your eating around the whole 1/2 hour before food and 2 hours after food business.

Next time I get tonsilitis I'm not going to the doc until it really is bad. :evil:

**rant over**
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:51 am

aw i can sympathise with you tegan. ive had it twice in my life and it hasnt been from antibiotics. can you still get thrush if you have a injection as opposed to taking oral antibiotics?
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:52 pm

I reckon. Still does the same thing. My memory is a bit vague, but I'm pretty sure my antibiotics for my wisdom teeth removal may have ben injection (of really strong anti-b's) and that definitely gave it to me.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Pipsi » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:30 pm

Hiya

Just a tip - I ALWAYS buy Yakult when I am on antibiotics. Antibiotics kill all the bad AND good bacteria in your system. Taking Yakult every day puts them good bacteria back in your system so you can avoid infections elsewhere.

I have been on antibiotics HEAPS in my life and I always make sure I take Yakult with it now. I never have a problem.

Hope this helps :)

PS LOL I do not work for Yakult (I sound like I do above) - I just highly recommend it :)
Starting Weight - 85kg
Current Weight - 82.5kg
Goal Weight - 60kg

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Pipsi

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:31 pm

what does yakult taste like? a strong yoghurt?
kate_turner2000

Postby Pipsi » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:35 pm

Hey Kate

Not at all - it's a very light fruity sweet taste. I love it!!! Not yoghurty at all!!!!!!! I even take it when I'm not on antibiotics to keep me healthy.

Sometimes they have promotional things at the local shops where they might give you a sample? Otherwise maybe try writing to them and asked for a sample.

:D
Starting Weight - 85kg
Current Weight - 82.5kg
Goal Weight - 60kg

Pipsi

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:37 pm

its something to keep in mind, my brother used to have ti all the time and it looked like yoghurt and i dont really like yoghurt so i never tried it.
kate_turner2000

Postby milkyway » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:40 pm

I reckon it tastes a bit like sweetened condensed milk, but slightly tangy and a watery consistency :P

I go for the inner health plus, myself. I had an off Yakult once and the results were pretty nasty :P

Anyway - Teagan, hope you're feeling better mate. I've never had adverse results to anti-biotics before but I reckon you'd be even worse off without them. Tonsilitis sucks.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Pipsi » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:40 pm

It definitely doesn't taste like yoghurt - its just a different kind of taste. I can't explain it but it does taste nice :) Well I think it tastes nice anyway!
Starting Weight - 85kg
Current Weight - 82.5kg
Goal Weight - 60kg

Pipsi

Postby reester33 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:17 pm

I'm with Pipsi on this. The antib's are suppressing your immune system (to boost it - go figure!) and because thrush is an "opportunistic" yeast infection it's now taking it's chance to thrive. Yakult can restore the balance (ie: increase good bacteria to get rid of the thrush).

:) M

I WAS EATING MYSELF TO DEATH WITH A KNIFE AND FORK!
reester33

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:12 pm

Thanks for the thought Pipsi, but I already know all about anti-b's bug killing properties (and why you have to take the WHOLE DAMN DOSE otherwise the bacteria evolve to be immune to them and then you get superbugs, and that anti-b's don't do a damn thing for cold/flu because they don't kill viruses etc etc).

I have been taking the pro-biotic tablets (I think they're inner health, from memory) in a double dose to try and give the good guys a hand up, but to no avail. These pro-biotic pills are basically the 'good bugs' that you find in yakult but in a capsule and more of them. I have now upped my dose of them to 3 per day with meals as opposed to 1 (since the anti-b's are 4 per day I figure this should work out about right) and fingers crossed I may not have to get meds for the thrush. I try to avoid medication where I can, in my experience if you start taking one thing you start having to take others to fix the problems #1 causes.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Chelle » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:30 pm

I've tried yakult once before & I hated it. I think it was voulgar.
Chelle

Postby Sassygirl » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:32 pm

I have had thrush a couple of times - not very nice indeed. I just drink Ural that you can get from the chemist, plus lots of water. I remember when I had my first daughter - I ended up getting an infection (mastysis (sp) and had to go onto antibiotics. The nurses still got me to breastfeed Sarah whilst on antibiotics and she got a bad dose of thrush - no joke all you saw was this tiny baby with red everywhere "down there" - she used to squeal when she had to piddle - it was heartbreaking!
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:34 pm

aw thats horrible :( ive never seen a bub with vaginal thrush but i have with thrush in its mouth. its soo bad :(
kate_turner2000

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:40 pm

URgh thrush is just horrible, Tegan :( :( I got it from antibiotics not long ago too. I have to go back to the doc's tomorrow cos of my sinusitis flaring up again, and I'm going to see if he can put me on a lower but longer dosage of antibiotics to see if that'll help the sinusitis stay away!
I take Inner Health Plus too, and eat heaps of EasiYo yoghurt. I also take Olive Leaf Extract which kills off Candida!
zeedeveelgirl

Next

Return to Health and Beauty