It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:46 am

Free Newsletter

chemically straight

Share your health and beauty secrets here.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Chelle » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:12 pm

I just bought a GHD not that long ago & love it.
Chelle

Postby charlimc » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:34 pm

i just put the limited edition pink GHD on layby today YAY!.. mite take a while for me to pay it off tho lol
Charli x
charlimc

Postby Misstoodles » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:58 am

I keep my hair straightened with a straightening iron because my hair is wavy/curly and i have alot of hair :/

But after my birthday in January I want to try a shorter layered style. If i just straighten it with an iron all the time it really starts to take a toll on the ends of my hair, and I have to give my hair breaks between the straightening for a couple of days at a time.. if it's cropped fairly short for wavy/curly thick hair, on the days its not straightened it would look like a triangular afro of curls.

I want to just get it chemically straightened to save the hassle.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFyKFbn/]
[/url]
Misstoodles

Postby electrongirl » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:04 am

I found this article on chemical straightening and thought it was really informative:

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip086.htm
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby tanya » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:03 pm

i havnt been able to straighten my hair in ages coz i always have to wear it up for work. I like the way it feels when i straighten it lol :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgVAbhK/]
[/url]

'Changing to a healthier lifestyle'
Mini goal: To get to 85kg!
tanya

Postby rivenriver » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:55 pm

Don't get a GHD - get a Vidal Sassoon. $40 bucks, and works brilliantly!!!!!!!

My hair dresser told me that for a dry straightener (not sure about wet to dry), it doesn't matter what brand you get. All you need is something that will heat up to 210 degrees. That's the magic number - at that heat, anything will work well. And my Vidal Sassoon was really cheap, and came with a heat mat and a swivel cord, and takes only 30 seconds to heat up all the way. So worth it!!!

My straight/curly hair story...

I have wavy hair, and it's always been able to hold curls really well. But last year I was sick of wavy - I wanted straight. I started using the Pantine extra straight shampoo - it works quite well, it has silicon in it, I think. Still lightly wavy, but not so much. Then at the end of last year I was in a play, and my director instructed me that my hair was to be curly. So at the dress rehearsal, I set my hot sticks, which I have used many times before. An hour later I pulled them out - my hair was dead straight. Uh-oh... I spent the weekend experimenting, and found only one way that worked - if I set rags the night before, slept on them, left them in all day (wore a bandana at work!) and took them out only just before the show, I could get the curls to last long enough. Also att he same time I was in a dance concert, playing a zombie. We had to have our hair teased big - no matter how hard I teased or how much spray I added, my hair was always flat by the end of the dance.

I stopped using that shampoo... ;) :D
rivenriver

Postby electrongirl » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:27 pm

I think it depends because I had a Silver Bullet straightener which cost me $270 and it went up to 215 degrees and it did an ok job of my hair, but my new GHD is fantastic!! I can see a huge difference.

I know people who use the cheaper ones and get great results so I think it depends on your hair.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby halah » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:11 pm

I got my hair permanently straightened while I was overseas.

It's great, and it's been 10 months since I got it done, and still straight. Very easy to maintain also, since I've always had wavy hair.

A little bit of my hair got burnt, meaning it has the frizzy kinks, but you can not see it at all, and it gradually got better after a few months. This happened because I damaged my hair ALOT from previously straightening my hair for so many years.
Highest Weight: 70kg
Current Weight: 55kg
Goal Weight: 45kg

Height: 152cm

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w1zZxrl/]
[/url]
halah

Postby charlimc » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:59 am

well i dnt think im guna do the chemically straight thing now i put my ghd on layby a lil while ago and then the other day my partner walked in with it, he went and payed it off for me, half my chrissy present but i was allowed to have it now yay! i love it.. it took me 10 - 15 mins to do my hair straight instead of an hour.
Charli x
charlimc

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:41 pm

glad you like it charli :) enjoy!!
kate_turner2000

Re: chemically straight

Postby Nikerz82 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:08 pm

Hey guys. I would advise against straightning your hair chemically, its a horrffic process for your hair to go through and tortures the hell of it. Yes straight after its done it looks brilliant but thats only because us hairdressers have filled it with top quality shampoos. lotions, potions and glosses and then blow-dryed and prolly run the straightners through it afterwards just to finish it off nicely. A couple of days later when it comes to washing your hair and styling it yourself, 8 times out of 10 your hair will feel like straw, lack lustre life and shine and be brittle and show evident signs of breakage. The process of chemically straightening naturally curly hair is a big job, It costs alot of money and it is very high maintenance. Imagine when you color your roots from black to blonde, a month later you have black roots again? well same with curly hair, a month later your roots grow back frizzy, while your ends are straight, its not something you can just do once and thats it, it will require alot of maintenence and you will never have silky smooth hair. Most people who have curly hair have quite coarse wiry hair anyways after straightning you have broken frizzy dry straw like hair and you will proberly find you will have to use your straightners in it anyways to flatten out the breakage and smooth over the cuticles so it feels nice. I wouldnt do it to my own hair and have advised many clients who have come to me wanting to do it against it, All I can say is try it if your really dead set on it but dont be dissappointed if it doesnt turn out how you expected. :)
Nikerz82

Postby Nikerz82 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:13 pm

PS - With your straightners make sure when ya buying them you go for the teflon coated or ceramic/porcelain blade type ones they are alot more gentle on the hair. :wink:
Nikerz82

Postby wannabehealthy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:27 am

hi,

i got my hairs permnently straightened twice and it has been excellnet i hav realy long hairs so it cost me lots to get it done.....its great to wake up with straight hairs and no hassle.....if u get it done from well known place its expensive but they do a great profesional job......now there are lots of chineses hardressers doing this treatmnet as welll.......:)
wannabehealthy

Previous

Return to Health and Beauty