It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:30 am

Free Newsletter

I am a big fat loser...

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

I am a big fat loser...

Postby Rob6014 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:46 am

This is my story.

One day I pulled into the carpark of my local shopping centre and as I was getting some letters ready to post, a man in a car pulled up next to me. He was a big guy. The first thing he did was to reach down to put his seat back from the steering wheel. He struggled to get his arm down the side of his body. When this was done he slowly struggled to turn in his seat so that both his legs were out of the car, because he was too fat to stand on just one leg. Then he hauled himself upright. By this time he was puffing and panting and red in the face. As I watching him waddle away I realised a couple of things. He was not much older than me (I am 47 now) and that I would be just like that in 5-6 years if I didn't do something about it. That man was me in the very near future.

At a recent visit to the Doctor, I had been told my blood pressure was 'high'. I had never had high blood pressure in my life. At my weight and height and age, I was morbidly obese. This meant I was so fat, that I was killing myself. I had done this to myself, no-one had done this to me. Each piece of food I put in my mouth was put there BY ME. I was responsible for my body, and my body was not good.

I am a short person - 158cm tall (5' 2") and I weighed 109kg. When I stood up, my arms didn't hang by my side, they sat out over the fat and hung in the air. I had no double chin, but I did have a double bum - yep, that's right - under my real bum was another bum with its own fold. The only good thing about my body was that I was one of those solid-kind of fat people. That was the good thing! Solid fat!

I had in the past tried many diets and diet programs and I had failed them all. Yes, I had failed them. I had lost some weight, then for whatever pathetic reason, had given up. This time I knew I had to make it work, or die.

My spouse had told me of a work-mate, who with his wife, had gone on the Atkins diet and had lost an amazing amount. I went and bought the book, read it from cover to cover and decided to give it a try.

I lost 13kg in 10 days - an amazing amount, but I knew this was water loss, not fat, and that if I had gone back to my usual diet the weight would go straight back on, probably in 10 days! I never felt hungry, but it was a difficult diet to stick to. The boost I got from the initial weight loss was wonderful, and I kept going. My Doctor was amazed that at the end of 2 weeks, that my blood pressure had dropped to the middle of the 'normal' range.

This is not a diet for everyone, but it was definitely the diet for me. One of the things it did was switch off the switch in my head - you know, the one that keeps you thinking about what you are going to have for your next meal, what you are going to prepare for tea, what snack you can eat, what food you have to buy... yes, THAT one. I would get a hunger pang and notice it was 2.00 and that I had forgotten about lunch. I had forgotten to eat!!! I always thought people who said that were pretentious (skinny) liars. :wink:

I lost 28 kg over 9 months - getting myself through the times when weight loss stopped completely (and it will, no matter what diet you are on...) by looking at the size 24 clothes that now hung off me, and remembering the man getting out of the car, and my high blood pressure. I have not put the weight back on. :D

That was 2 years ago, and I am now ready for the next 20 kilo loss to bring me to my goal weight. I have set realistic time-scales for my weight loss, and will never again count weeks and how much I should be able to lose by the wedding/family function/whatever. That is a recipe for disaster. It took me 47 years to get this fat, so I don't expect to be at my goal weight in 3 months! 3 years is fine. If I get there before that time, it is all good.

This time I am trying a low-fat, low GI diet, which is really a modified Atkins diet, that is, an Atkins diet with less fat and more vegetable matter. I started looking around for a support forum and found this one. It looks good. I'll see ya round.

(I want to make it clear, however, that I am not a promoter of the Atkins diet - this was the diet that I found worked best for ME. It doesn't work for a lot of people and is difficult to stick to, as there is no room for straying off the diet. None. It is absolutley, positively NOT the diet for anyone who needs to lose 10kg fast, before the wedding or whatever. This is a long-term diet which needs strict adherence to work. In the early days, the cravings for sugar and carbohydrates are just terrible and unless you are as pig-headed/terrified as I was, you will do more damage than good if you start this diet and fail to keep going. If you are interested, go and buy the book and read it ALL. Do not attempt the diet without reading the entire book. If you ask me for advice on the diet, I will tell you to go and buy the book and read it ALL.)
Rob6014

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:54 am

Hi Rob,
welcome to the forum and congrats on your weight loss so far. It definitely is scarey when you see your future self somewhere and it doesn't look good. I recently saw a photo of a friend the other day who used to be a bit lighter than me but about the same height and body shape etc. She's now put on weight and is probably a bit heavier than I was. I just kept thinking "that was me". :shock:

You will definitely find lots of encouragement and support on this forum and lots of advice and information and tips! i look forward to seeing you around!

If you register and log in you will be able to create a ticker graph if you wish and place it in your profile. If you have any questions, just ask!

Cheers,
Tegan
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Groovychic » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:57 am

Wow Rob. Do you realise the most important thing I thought that was in your message was the fact that your blood pressure dropped so much. It showed that losing a bit of weight made a huge difference to your heart. I bet your heart is very very happy with the weight loss! As for diets, well you have to think more of them as a change of lifestyle. Diets are fads to lose a few kilos quickly. Change your eating habits for good. Its damn hard but that is the difference between short term weight loss and long term healthy weight range. But if something works for someone to get them motivated to changing their eating habits then that is great. The thing is don't go back to what you were eating before the weight loss, which is what most people do, and hence the merry go round we have all been on! You have to keep eating the good foods forever. I've been there with the weight loss and thought ok I can eat some more crap again and of course put the weight back on! The principals are simple, and we all know it, but we have this piece of wood in our heads blocking out that simple thought! Good luck to lose your next 20kgs Rob. I'm sure you will do it.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby carleyjt » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:04 am

Hey Rob,

Thanx so much for your story. It helps to read about other peoples succes. Especially those that have lost a lot more weight than i need to as it makes me realise that if you can lose that much i can sure as heck lose some as well.

Keep up the good work :D
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
carleyjt

Postby Dolly » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:54 am

Hi Rob, we're so lucky fate has brought you to our forum. Reading your message will bring hope and joy to so many of us.

I'm so glad you managed to get your blood pressure down as life in a wheelchair after a stroke would surley have been the alternative.
Whilst I was on eDiets, they provide so many different diets to try. I'd heard of many dieters losing massive amounts of weight with Atkins and decided to give it a try. As you said it doesn't always work for everyone and I was one of them. I gained so much weight by following the Atkins diet religiously for 6 weeks, it must have failed because of my medical condition called hypothyroidism.

There was another lady who spoke of her best friend a doctor that had seen many patients succeed on the atkins diet so was keen to try it herself.
Unfortunately it gave her arterial blockage and severe heart disease, she went to a church healing service in a wheelchair 2 weeks before she passed away, leaving 2 kids and a husband. You'd think being a doctor she could have monitored herself a bit better and seen it was not the diet for her. Each individual is different and yes Atkins has done wonders for many people.
About the late Dr Atkins by his friend of 10 years - http://www.hairtransplant.net/forums/me ... adid=31803

I too have noticed how when eating protein (I now also choose lower fat protien than Atkins allowed) has left me feeling more full for longer.
Eggs, a little cheese, chicken breasts, nuts, nut paste, fish and prawns are wonderful space fillers.

I look forward to seeing you around the various forum threads.

How to copy and paste a ticker graph, click here - http://www.weightloss.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=865
cheers
Dolly
Last edited by Dolly on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dolly

Postby Angel » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:43 pm

Rob

Thank you so much for sharing your story. You are a true inspiration.

The forum is great, you'll get all the support, hints etc you need on your weightloss journey.

See you around the forum,
Angel
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Return to True Stories