It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:46 pm

Free Newsletter

My journey of flab!

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

My journey of flab!

Postby Juddy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:15 am

As I briefly said in my introduction post, I've been overweight all my life. I was obese for most of my life and was even recorded as having a body fat percentage of approximately 40% just before I tried doing the Atkins low-carbohydrate diet at the age of 16 in 2003.

I lost quite a bit of weight - it was great. It wasn't a miracle diet or anything, and I must stress this out to people... once you realise that it IS possible to lose weight, then everything becomes clearer and you have the weight-loss bug of determination and courage to do something about it :)

The mistake was to stop and not take care in keeping the weight off once I was off the Atkins diet. I become a pizza delivery driver in 2004 at age 17 too, so that didn't help when temptation was in the passenger seat with me all the time (not that I ate people's pizza, haha, but I bought one for cheap at the end of my shifts :( )

I gradually put on weight... of which I was rather oblivious to because I started doing a lot of weights at the gym at school... it was then I realised "It's not just weightloss... but FAT loss" (which goes against this forum's name, but we all know what we mean by weightloss!)

In 2005 I peaked at 99 kilos, just under 6 feet tall. I was overweight and unhappy with myself. Then came the HSC and the realisation that I would be going to Byron Bay for schoolies almost immediately after... so I began to freak out... "What will people think of me with my shirt off at the beach? I'm disgusting! This is schoolies, I'm supposed to party and feel good!"

So where as many people I know would eat under stress during exams... I ate bananas, eggplant, steak and eggs... while going for 2 hour walks each day (sometimes squeezing in a short run).

I lost 19 kilos in 2 months. I was happy again! But wasn't quite at my goal... and I haven't been for the last couple of years!

Over this time, however, I got into the gym fairly heavily, getting a body-building program going, and started to bulk up... but you can bulk up as much as you like, but unless you do a lot of cardio, it'll be much harder to strip away the fat...

So recently I caught the bug again, enough was enough - I've been going for interval runs every couple of nights... These would last for about an hour, and I would cover a distance of 8-9 km. I'm starting to feel good again, and I've noticed a big difference. I leave anywhere between 10:30 and 11:30pm, because hardly anyone is around to watch me run and I can just do my thing... I get into a bit of a focused and peaceful state :)

I actually took progressional photos since march 2005. Every month or two I'd take a series of photos to see how I'm going... I never thought these would see the light of day, and they still may not... But if I reach my physical goal and am happy, I will put them up to hopefully help motivate others :)
Juddy

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:07 am

Thanks for sharing your story Juddy! Sounds like your exam food was yummy! mmm eggplant
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby chubbywife79 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:53 pm

Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Your such an inspiration!
chubbywife79

Postby Juddy » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:46 pm

Thanks guys, really appreciate it :)

I don't think I talked about it here, but in another thread - I also tried the drug Xenical for a bit. It works well but it can impact your every day life. You stop absorbing fats so any fats you do consume get excreted out. Not pleasant if you have a high-fat diet, so the solution would be to just cut down the fat in your diet and save the money on pills.

Having said that, I don't focus too much on fat content in my diet, mostly the more-impacting carbs - so avoid lollies and junk food. This seems to work the best because:

The body first looks for sugar and carbohydrates for energy, followed by stored fats. Fat takes longer to digest (I believe) so when you cut down the carbohydrates in your diet, the body will use burn the stored fat quicker.

So if you exercise on a low-carb diet you will burn off more fat than if you were eating more carbs and cutting down the fat.

Having said that ideally the best thing to do, would be to cut down carbs AND fats. So you'd be having lots of veges and protein with low-GI carbs (this is what I did mostly during my main weight-loss).
Juddy

Postby Playboy_bunny » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:51 pm

thanks for sharing :)
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby chubbywife79 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:36 am

Thanks for sharing those tips!
chubbywife79

Return to True Stories