It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:58 pm

Free Newsletter

What? TV lied to me???

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

What? TV lied to me???

Postby Acidpixi » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:30 pm

Hey everyone. Last year my resolution was to quit smoking. So on the 3rd of January 2007 I had my last drag and threw the rest away.
This year I decided to lose 15kg. Anyway I was watching something on Telli the other day. I was mortified when I realised how much sense it makes. It was on a kids show too, which is worse cos if I didn't have kids I wouldn't have seen it.
Over the years we've been told to do a small amount of exercise every day right? Well apparently, according to this show, that's wrong.
It said that small amounts of moderate exercise increase appetite without burning fat. :?
It also said to decrease appetite and burn fat we need to do Heavy exercise for an extended period of time, and once a week is enough.
Anyway I decided to put it to the test, so I hauled my 93kg ass into a Kayak and paddled up a river for an hour last friday, then on Tuesday I walked 5km up hill in the heat. Today I swam laps for an hour. Ok so that's 2 times a week but I wanted to check it out.
This evening after dinner at my parents I weighed myself. I'm already down to 90kg. AND that wasn't my morning weight. And my appetite hasn't increased at all.
So I think the proof is in the pudding, or the jelly, cos that's kind of what my butt still resembles.
TV has been lying to me all these years. :(
At least I saw that show. It was all about marathon runners etc.
I always wondered why my little brother stayed thin. He is lazy all the time but on weekends he does stuff like bushwalking or snorkling.
And the rest of my family, like me, used to go for a 10 min walk 3-5 times a week. We're fat, go figure.
I'll keep my progress posted. Cheerio!
Acidpixi

Postby hel71 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:01 am

hi there,
Very interesting. Go figure that! :shock:
Pricks. and this is the exercise Ive been maintained on. Well Im now deciding an what exercise will fit in.
hel71

Postby milkyway » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:10 am

30 mins of moderate exercise per day (at the very least) is recommended to help maintain your weight but if you're in the weightloss game, you need to do more. Sure, start out with that much (or less) if you're a non-exerciser to start with. But I never really thought 30 mins moderate exercise per day would help with weightloss.

Anyway - you're exercise routine sounds fun :) I'd love to go kayaking. And congrats on your weightloss this week. You're off to a great start.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:41 pm

That's really interesting. I walk everywhere and I have a huge appetite. My partner drives and eats about half of what I do. I'll cut back on the walking and substitute more intense exercise for a while and see what that does. Thanks for the tip!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Acidpixi » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:16 am

89kg and counting. This time I went to a Gym for2 hours and tried every piece of equipment they have! LOL. Was a laugh, but ow my calf muscles.
Luckily they had child care in there, but it cost a packet. My 2 hours cost me about $40 all up. But, would I pay $40 to lose a kg, why of course, wouldn't anyone who's had a weight problem all their life??

It's funny cos it seems a lot easier to do it all in one go...
Yay Tasmania :)
Acidpixi

Postby Fiona25 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:25 am

Oh wow, that is so interesting!

First of all, a HUGE congrats on your 4kg loss, very impressive :D

I don't think 30mins a day would do much at all, I find I have to do a good 90mins + a day to get results.

I do think that regular, hard, long exercise definitely supresses appetite and of course burns more calories and speeds up the metabolism.

Sounds like you're giving yourself heaps of variety which is great :D

Wow, 2hrs at the gym for $40 sounds VERY expensive :shock: do they have membership available? I'm sure that would work out much cheaper if you went say 2x a week.
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby SarahC » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:40 am

Well done on the 4kg loss so far. Sounds like everythings going great!!

It is definitely true that low intensity excercise increases your appetite. I find after going for a walk, I'm fairly hungry afterwards. But if I go for a run, or do some other high intensity cardio, I don't feel hungry for a while afterwards. :wink:

Kyaking sounds like great fun!
SarahC

Postby Fireball » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:33 am

Hmm that is intersting. Now I think about it that has happened to me in the past when I have spend 1/2 a day gardening or on home improvements. The wieght drops and you also feel more satisfied with yourself, like you've really achieved someting whereas the regular exercise routine seems such a drag. Yes I know you can vary it, but just the thought of having to do stuff regularly for the rest of my life.....

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby Bri » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:51 am

That is interesting I'm going to stick with only going to the gym three times a week for at least 90mins and just concentrate on being normal the other days going for a walk or playing with the kids and just concentrate on eating as healthy as possible.
Bri

Postby Acidpixi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:52 pm

:o Hey all. I'm still sittin on 89kg, but I haven't done anything in the last couple of days. I'm hormonal lol.
At least I'm not gaining.
Anyone got any ideas of the next thing I can try?
I can't dedicate much more than an hour and it's gotta be a good work out.
Cheers
Yay Tasmania :)
Acidpixi

Re: What? TV lied to me???

Postby yellowroses » Sun May 18, 2008 11:34 pm

Wow that's so cool! I'm definitely going to try this this week :) Thanks!
Goal for 2010: Be at most 99.9kg by 31st December 2010
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wePqDKj/

Final Goal: 68kgs.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcytIxC/

I'm taking back my life.
Check out my vlog: http://www.youtube.com/yellowroses89
yellowroses

Postby anaksedang » Wed May 21, 2008 6:42 pm

Minimum exercise time is (I think) around 60 minutes per day.
anaksedang

Postby Athena » Thu May 29, 2008 2:58 pm

It makes sense that intensive exercise dampens the appertite and passive exercise stimulates it. If we think back to cave man times, if you walked around a bit collecting berries or something (lite exercise), your body would know that it was safe for you to take some time out to eat and that you needed to replenish the energy used in the walking. If your running flat out to get away from a sabor tooth tiger that's chaseing you (heavy exercise) then the last thing you need is to be hungry. You need to stop thinking about eating and consentrate on not being eaten. So I guess to lose weight we need to kick our bodie into not-getting-eaten-by-tiger mode as appose to berry-picking mode.
It's times like these you learn to live again
Athena

Postby smileyguy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:35 am

I always thought it was a simple of case of calories eaten VS calories burnt. If the frst is less than the later then you lose weight. Maybe it's not as simple as that? The problem is I guess is with increased appetite comes more calories in!!! A few handfuls of steamed broccoli should fix that though!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9BSbBe/]
[/url]
smileyguy

Postby LucyP » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:26 pm

thats really interesting - I thought I was being good all these years
LucyP

Next

Return to True Stories