It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:33 am

Free Newsletter

My Weight-Loss Experience on DUROMINE

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

My Weight-Loss Experience on DUROMINE

Postby aren » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:26 pm

Hi Everyone!

Moderators - Move this topic as necessary, not sure if I posted it in the most appropriate category.

Also, before I begin. I am not insisting that Duromine is right for you, or that you should take it, or anything like that. I simply want to share my experience with it - the bad and the good about it. I know when I first started to think about using it, I was worried about what it would do to me and I was curious about the typical results on it.

Firstly, I'm a 19 year old male and I’m 175cm tall. Late 2007, I weighed 83 kilos. I felt really unhealthy and fat, I smoked, I drank all the time – I felt like crap. As my New Year’s Resolution, I made a decision to change my life and be healthy.

After 2 years of smoking, I quit on New Years Day 2008, but in the following 2 months, I gained 4 kilos (taking me up to 87 kilos). All I could think about whilst fighting the nicotine cravings was food. So I ate and ate and ate! I was already slightly chubby before quitting, but after gaining the extra kilos, I was very unhappy with my weight.

After hearing about Duromine off friends and family, I went to my local doctor and explained my situation. I was completely honest about the smoking, my situation, everything. I went in there specifically wanting Duromine, but I figured that if he would not prescribe it for me, that he had his reasons and the doctor knows best about my health! After completing some tests (ie. Blood Pressure, BMI) he said he was more than happy to prescribe me one months worth of 30mg Duromine. I set an appointment to come back after 30 days for a follow-up.

For the first few days, I felt like I was on speed. I took the pill at 6am in the morning, it takes about an hour to kick in. It gave me lots of energy and made me extremely happy in the mornings. Also in the first couple of days, I had trouble sleeping. The speedy-ness and the sleeplessness only lasted for the first few days. (Note - Another way to avoid the sleeplessness is to take it really early. I usually set my alarm for 6am to take the pill, went back to bed then woke up at my usual time of 7am to get ready for work)

During my first week, I didn't eat much. Just maybe a sandwich for lunch or something. People say that Duromine completely suppresses your appetite, but that simply isn't true... I still felt hungry. After 7 days of taking Duromine, I weighed myself for the first time. I was 81 kilos. So I pretty much lost almost a kilo per day. No exercise, just going to work as per usual.

Although, I felt like I was gonna die. I was shaky, I didn't have much energy and just generally felt like death. I figured it was because I wasn't eating right; I was literally living on nothing. The doctor did say that I would need to make a conscious decision to eat food because I wouldn't feel like eating whatsoever. I don't think that is the reason I didn't eat, because I still felt hungry. I think I was just so determined to lose as much weight as possible and talked myself into thinking that the best way to do that was to not eat anything.

So from Day 7, I started eating properly (almost no fat in my diet, carbs only before 1pm and lots of protein) and began some light cardio exercise (30 - 60 minutes of walking/jogging) 5 days a week (Monday to Friday, Weekends off). Although I felt much better now, I noticed that I was getting really really cranky in the afternoons. For no reason I'd be angry, I'd snap, be short with people. I'd look around the room at people looking for something to get angry at. Even though it makes you so happy in the morning, in the afternoons and night, it made me a complete asshole.

From Week 2 to the end of Week 3, continuing light cardio and a good diet, I lost an extra 2 kilos, bringing me down to 79 kilos.

However, I noticed in the afternoons when I turned into a asshole, that whenever there was loud background noise (traffic, people, music etc. etc.) or when I was stressed with work, study etc. I felt really really sick, and it was like I could feel my blood tearing through my veins. I knew one of the side effects of Duromine was high blood pressure, so I went to the doctor to have it checked. As I suspected, my blood pressure was 155/95.

The doctor said that because I'm young, having high blood pressure was okay for a short period of time because my veins (or maybe it was arteries – I forget which one he specifically said it was) are still somewhat flexible, but to cease taking the Duromine immediately. It may be relevant to note that high blood pressure does run in my family, although when the doctor tested me before beginning the Duromine, my levels were within the acceptable range.

So that was the end to my Duromine experience. During Week 3 I began doing some weights 3 times a week. And now after completing the course of Duromine (well, only three weeks of it) I now do cardio 3 days a week and the weights 5 times a week because I want to build some muscle. A week aftering stopping Duromine use, I went to the doctor to get my blood pressure checked, and it was all back to normal, although still in the higher ranges of what is acceptable. The doctor said that the smoking could still be affecting it slightly, so not to worry too mcuh for the moment, and come back each month to get it checked.

Another random thing to note, I wouldn't go to see a movie at the cinemas whilst on Duromine. I went with some friends in Week 2 and seen "Cloverfield". I think the loud sounds and the fast moving picture on the screen had some effect on me, and I felt like I was dying afterwards. My heart felt like someone was squeezing it and I felt extremely sick. I spoke to a friend the following day who was also taking Duromine, and she said she seen a fast-paced movie too, and it had the same effect on her. Not sure why it does this, but I don't think it was just me. So I wouldn't recommend seeing any kind of action movie in the cinema.

Overall, I'd have to say that the Duromine was a good thing for me. Even though it ended badly, I still don't regret doing it, because it was a great kick-start to my fat-loss. One thing I would definitely point out... Don't use Duromine as a wonder-drug that sheds the weight off you and expect to continue living your life without changing anything. If you're eating bad food and not exercising, and you take Duromine, Yeah, You'll still lose some weight. But after you come off it, you're going to stack it right back on.

I used Duromine as a kick-start to change my life. I changed my eating habits, I started exercise. I made the decision that I wanted to lead a healthy life. One thing I've learnt is that being healthy isn't easy, it’s damn hard in today's world, but, it’s worth it. I've never felt better, I have so much energy, and my self-esteem is through the roof. And I'm happy. Very Happy :-)

Hope this helps any of you who are thinking of taking Duromine. Like I stated previously, Duromine may not be right for you, and thats why its a prescription drug (Well, at least here in Australia anyways, not sure about anywhere else) Any questions you may have about using Duromine or about my story, just post them here and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

:-)
aren

Re: My Weight-Loss Experience on DUROMINE

Postby MelbGirl08 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:25 am

Hello,

I used Duromine for about 3 months a few years ago and lost about 20kg....the unfortunate thing about it is that I gained it all back.

There's no "miracle pill" for weightloss. I've learnt over the years that the best way to lose weight is to use up more energy than you eat. It's a simple concept, yet many people, including mylself, find it hard to effect in practice.

I was a completely different person on Duromine, I vacuumed til 3am in the morning and I bloody hate housewoek. I was definitely more irritable and TTOM was a complete mess. In the end, it was just a waste of money and time for me. Had I invested the same amount of time in learning and educating myself about healthy eating, I'd be in a better position right now, but instead I was after a quick fix. :D

That's my experience.

Cheers
MelbGirl08

Postby electrongirl » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:37 pm

It sounds like a bundle of fun!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby MelbGirl08 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:26 pm

electrongirl wrote:It sounds like a bundle of fun!!

LOL You should have seen me, I was nuts! :)
MelbGirl08

Postby teagansara » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:45 am

i had a good experience with duromine, went on it and lost about 15 kilos was fantastic!
although ive moved back to perth since then and went through a crappy time last year with a family member passing away and have put on about 10 which i have tried to shed unsuccesfully for the last 5 months ITS SO ANNOYING!
went to my GP who is an absolute moron and wont prescribe it to me,even though he knows ive been unsuccessful the last months, 'healthy eating and lots of excerise' WHAT DO YOU THINK IVE BEEN DOING FOR THE LAST 5 MONTHS!
sorry for the rant guys!all i need is a kick start.

my question is would anyone please be able to private message contact details for a GP in perth who would be able to prescribe this to me?

it would be greatly appreciated!
teagansara

Postby kazziegal » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:52 pm

aren wrote:For the first few days, I felt like I was on speed.

Thats cos you were on speed .. Duromine is a form of speed thats why we are not allowed to be on it with my work .. we are drug tested and it shows up as speed ... I have known people who have had such bad experiences on it because they dont take drugs and suddenly they have speed in their bodies and they go crazy. They are up all night and on a permanent high and not in a good way Also if you have any form of high BP it can be fatal as it sends the BP racing.

That is why so many doctors will not prescribe it ..they are not being morons ..they are being responsible
kazziegal

Postby grllee1983 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:42 pm

I have been on Duromine 3 times in my life now.. its safe to say i struggle with my weight.. but i agree.. i do find myself snapping at my partner a lot and i constantly bite my nails.. badly!.. something i never ever do when i'm not on duromine.. there is definitely that speed affect where you are on edge, fidgety and snappy.. i still get really hungry on it too, which kind of makes it not worth it because unless you are being really healthy and exercising you won't see the results very quickly, the bad outways the good. when you stop taking it, you get really hungry and will stack the weight back on.. for anyone looking for a kickstart, my cousin is on REDUCTIL and says its heaps better(she has had duromine before also) apparently she says she doesn't crave the bad food anymore and doesn't get the satisfaction from eating she used to feel..
good luck everyone! :)

SW = 83
CW = 81
GW = 63
grllee1983

Postby Mandie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:39 am

Basically, the reason why people say "you'll put it back on!" when someone says that they are taking Duromine, is because there are people out there who use it as their sole method of weight loss. People take duromine and eat less (because they aren't hungry), but don't exercise more, don't learn about healthy foods and portion control... so when they stop taking duromine, they haven't learnt anything! And that's why they will stack the weight back on.

I have changed my entire lifestyle. I am eating really healthy, and walking alot more than I used to... No fatty junk food anymore, no sugar, no lollies no oil, no take aways ect... only cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt, lean meats, vegies and a little bit of rice here and there (only before 1pm tho) and lots of water to keep me hydrated!

---THAT is why you are going to do much better than those lazy people - you have changed your life, and are just using duromine as an adjunct to that, and that's fine.

Personally, I'd be a little worried about the negative side effects - the lack of sleep and the headaches don't sound great! But you've only just started, so see how you go - some people get used to the duromine and the side effects should dull as time goes on. If you are still having these effects in a couple of weeks, I'd speak to your doctor and think about decreasing your dose. The most important thing is to come off the drug SLOWLY... you will have rebound hunger and weight gain so it's best if you slowly wean down the tablets! Keep up the lifestyle changes and you will be laughing.

Good luck!
Mandie

Postby anaksedang » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:15 pm

MelbGirl08 wrote:Hello,

I used Duromine for about 3 months a few years ago and lost about 20kg....the unfortunate thing about it is that I gained it all back.

There's no "miracle pill" for weightloss. I've learnt over the years that the best way to lose weight is to use up more energy than you eat. It's a simple concept, yet many people, including mylself, find it hard to effect in practice.

I was a completely different person on Duromine, I vacuumed til 3am in the morning and I bloody hate housewoek. I was definitely more irritable and TTOM was a complete mess. In the end, it was just a waste of money and time for me. Had I invested the same amount of time in learning and educating myself about healthy eating, I'd be in a better position right now, but instead I was after a quick fix. :D

That's my experience.

Cheers

you're right. Actually diet pill may work but not kind of Duromine. And not only diet pills that would make you gain your weight, basically all low carb diet plan concept will make you gain your weight back, including Atkins diet and Dietrine (a diet pill that's based on this concept)
anaksedang

Postby beautiifulgiirll » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:33 pm

First of all, that is an awesome weight loss journey :D...

I too have sarted taking Duromine 30mg only 9 days ago. I have not suffered any severe side effects ive just been thirsty and know when enough is enough at meal times (which is a good thing). I only suffered mild side effects for the first 2 days which was a little bit of shakyness, taccycardia, and feeling a little out of this world. But after those 2 days i am as normal as i was before i began taking it. Im still eating and still drinking lots of water and exercising regularly. Duromine i sjust a kick start and i intend to treat it as only that :) After the 12 weeks i will remain eating healthy and exercising to maintain the new lifestyle i hope to create for myself. I cant wait to reach my goal. I guess i am one of the lucky ones who didnt get any severe side effects with this drug and thank goodness for that coz it was my last resort to finally shed all this weight !!!

Keep up all the effort guys and good luck to everyone :D:D
This is the start of forever. . .With faith i can succeed

- Danni XoXo

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZ8ypqd/]
[/url]
beautiifulgiirll

Postby conscientia » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:38 pm

I am just starting duromine today
My doctor told me to eat 5 tiny meals per day in conjunction with it, so i have been eating little bits of healthy thing here and there
What's different in my case though is that I am feeling quite lethargic...
anyone else feel this way??
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wqWyt8Z/]
[/url]

SW: 111.7 (07/11/08)
CW: 96.6 (6/04/09)
GW: 69
LTD: 15.1
conscientia

Postby Ambul8 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:06 am

Hi All

This is my first post here - I found the place doing my research for my Duromine weaning, which will happen soon. Before I explain my experience, I wish to correct a couple of statements made that are not based on fact:

1. Duromine is NOT Speed
Duromine's active ingredient is Phernteramine (chemical name: alpha-methamphetamine), which belongs to the class of drugs "amphetamines". Duromine is a Schedule 4 drug under the Poisons Act (at least in WA), meaning that it is prescription only.

Speed is also an Amphetamine or Methamphetamine depending on its composition (strength). Interestingly ICE is a Crystal Methamphetamine.

Because they are of the same class, it does not decree that Duromine is Speed. Indeed this is untrue. Illegal Drugs are uncontrolled and randomly made. If your lucky, your hot has come from a 'reputable' clandestine lab. Whereas Duromine, is laboratory manufactured in accordance with standards and is manufactured to remove the undesirable effects.

It is true that Amphetamines speed up your systems (they are a central nervous system stimulant) but Duromine is actually manufactured to cause the brain to suppress appetite.

However, still being an amphetamine, it can still have side effects. The common side effects (remember, to be classed as common, a side effect needs only to occur in over 1% of the people prescribed the drug) are the traditional amphetamine effects (tachycardia, restlessness, etc). On the rare side (occuring in less than 1% of the persons prescribed) are hypertension and withdrawal symptoms.

2. Duromine is NOT illegal at work
As a prescribed drug, it can be taken at work. However, as it is Amphetamine based and you COULD experience side effects you have a common law duty of care to alert your supervisor and stop work if you could breach your duty of care, in relation to the fitness for work component.

Australian/New Zealand Standards require an initial indicative positive result to be followed up with GCMS laboratory tests. A GCMS test can ascertain the differences between the several different types of drugs in the Amphetamine class and whether or not they are being taken at therapeutic dose. So if you have a script for Duromine, you are taking it at the prescribed dose, your supervisor is aware and you are NOT effected by side effects, then you would be ok.

If you ARE effected by side effects - you are not fit for work. But remember panadeine, cold mixtures and hayfever medications (to name a few) can render you unfit for work too.

I work in the Mining Industry in the medical field and am regularly drug tested and release back to work despite a provisional positive for Amphetamines.

LOL, that's that done. Too many people make outlandish statements without proper research.

As for me....

I have been on Duromine now for just under 4 weeks. In that 4 weeks I have lost 15kg.

I am using the Duromine as an adjunct to allow me to adjust to new eating habits. Specifically: reduced portion size, healthy choice, little meals more often, reduction of saturated fats, complete removal of fast foods, lollies, soft drinks and sweets (etc)

Also I developed a 6 day/week cardio/resistance program which is easy to keep to.

I am also motivated by and train with my gym partner.

As I see it, Duromine is the key that allows the healthy lifestyle to be unlocked. In 2.5 months, I will have made the adjustments and will begin to wean of Duromine slowly over 3 weeks (to avoid the slim chance of withdrawal symptoms), in which case my new learned behaviors will be set in stone.

Anyone who goes to the doctor and finds them selves on the 'Miracle Cure' should immediately report that Doctor to the AMA. For malpractice.

As it says in the prescribing bible, MIMS, Duromine is a short-term adjunct in the management of obese patients, IN CONJUNTION WITH A MEDICALLY SUPERVISED diet and exercise program.

Thus far my side effects have been 0. Pulse is up 10bpm, but not enough to make me clinically tachycardic. No BP issues. No sleep issues. Works well for me.
Ambul8

Postby gracie » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:40 pm

Duromine is a FORM of speed and the higher the dose the more amphetamine it has within it.
It's fine as a kick start, but not as a long term solution. It is highly addictive also and usually a doctor will only prescribe it short term. Once the weight is lost you will need to be very, very, strict about your food intake or the weight will just return as when you stop your metabolism slows down dramatically.
I wish you good luck with it and hope it works for you. I took it for years and eventually was immune to it's effects was great while I was on it, I lost over 40 kilo and kept it off for years but had to basically starve to keep it off. Just my experience with it though, hope yours is more successful!
gracie

Postby gracie » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:45 pm

Amphetamines whether manafacured legally or illegaly are still amphetamines, slang name SPEED!
gracie

Postby Ambul8 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:20 pm

gracie wrote:Amphetamines whether manufactured legally or illegaly are still amphetamines, slang name SPEED!

A typical uneducated, flippant response. It is comments like yours that attach a stigma to people who need medication therapy as an adjunct to their weight loss.

Try reading a medical text book on amphetamines. You will notice a stark contrast between scheduled laboratory manufactured items as opposed to illegal, illicit concoctions.

Specifically in relation to the engineering of actions, effects, side effect management, clinical trials, evidence based research and approval by the relevant regulators.
Ambul8

Next

Return to True Stories