It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:38 pm

Free Newsletter

My Weight-Loss Experience on DUROMINE

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: My Weight-Loss Experience on DUROMINE

Postby Tigerlily82 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:24 pm

Hi everyone,

Looks like there are more people joining this forum! Great support and wish you all good luck.

I have now finished my 3 months Duromine repeats and have lost 13 kg. Very please with the result but it looks like I am still an australian size 14-16 which kind of tell me that my body frame has stayed the same and that I am toning all the fatty bits etc. I have lost ( believe it or not ! ) 1 shoe size (Currently wearing a 7 to 7 1/2 when I was before an 8 to 8 1/2 ) . Looks like my 60 pairs of shoes are of no use and need to go on a shopping spree soon. I have also lost weight on my fingers and boobs but hey overall my health is better and I don't hear any "cracking" sound from my knees which means that the pressure has been taken off in some ways.

My experience with Duromine has been great. I am not recommending it as everyone reacts differently to it so please consult your doctor and make an informed decision.
I am actually sleeping better and have less white hair ( am only 29 and 1m65 ). Gone to the doc on Monday and the course of action is to keep me on Duromine till I reach my target and then slowly reduce the dosage so that my body re adjust itself instead of stopping straight away and the likelyhood of putting all the kgs back is greater.

I am now on Duromine 40 mg which as been increased from the 30 mg dose to give it a boost.

Starting Weight Feb 2011 : 80 kg
On Duromine 30 mg for previous 3 months and just started on the 40 mg dosage.
Current Weight : 67 kg
Goal Weight : 60-65 kg mark

Good luck to you all !

Tigerlily
Tigerlily82

Postby simon1971 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:46 pm

Hi All,
Started my journey 5 days ago. My Doctor started me on Duromine 30mg. 5 days in and have lost 3.9kg. (Start weight was 129.9, 6'2")
Am wondering though if anyone can explain to me the difference you get or feel going from 30 to 40mg.
Congrats to all who are on their journey to a healthier you!
simon1971

Postby KittyCat88 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:52 am

Hi simon1971

Welcome to the forum. And a big congratulations on the awesome loss :D good work..
About your question Im not entirely sure as I am on my second week of Duromine and I currently take the 30mg. My doctor wants me to give the 40mg a try to see if it helps me a little more. I would imagine that maybe it would supress your appetite a little more and maybe give you a bit more of an energy boost, but that is just speculation on my behalf.
Good luck on your weightloss journey. Looking forward to reading more about your progress :D
KittyCat88

Postby Tigerlily82 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi simon1971,

Pretty much it all depends how your body is reacting to your current dosage. I haven't had any extra boost of energy or failure to sleep properly at all.
When I was on 30 mg, the only side effects I was getting was the wooziness whenever I stood up too quickly or being nauseous and about to pass out on the 4th and 5th day of duromine 30mg. No sleeping problem.

What I have notice is that since I am on 40 mg, the side effects listed above have been stronger in the first couple of days but all is pretty much normal now. As for the appetite suppression, definitely I can feel the difference but still force myself to eat a healthy meal even though it is a small portion. You need to eat or else your body just goes into shock especially going from huge consumption of food to next to nothing .

One thing I would suggest (if you are having this problem ) is to top up your fibre intake.

Good luck to all !

Tigerlily82
Tigerlily82

Postby kyzalie » Wed May 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Hi All!

I posted here a few months ago regarding duromine, and being unable to find a doctor to prescribe it. Well I finally went to a good doctor who listened intently. She insisted I try Xenical first, so I did this for a month. I can tell you - it was not worth the odd $120 I paid for it! That and a nice bout of gastro saw me drop from 107 to about 102 over a month and a bit. I'm happy with the weightloss, but the Xenical caused me so much pain, despite following intruction to the tee. But as they say, different things work for different people.

So back I went to the doctor, who prescribed me with a months worth of Metermine 30mg just to see if it'll work for me. My diet 4 years ago involved maccas more then once a day most days, and I grew up in a household of "eat what you want, when you want" and it saw my weight rise to a top of 114 mid-2010 (I'm 23 years old now). 3 years ago I curbed my fast food addiction dramatically, and last year saw me remove all full sugar drinks from my life - but alas no weightloss. I just get hungry often, and when I get hungry I crave, and when I crave I just eat anything.

First thing I noticed at the end of day one taking duromine/metermine is that I forgot to have lunch today! Lunch is the central meal of my day. I'd just look at time and think "I should be having lunch soon", and my stomach would rumble to the point where it hurt sometimes. And usually after lunch, I'd crave something sugary. So for this to happen is very unusual. I will be more conscious from tomorrow as to eating, though. I certainly do not want my metabolism slowing down, as it's slow enough already!

I also found today that I felt more mellowed out, and didn't have a part in the day where I got extreme fatigue, which happens at least once a day usually and makes me incredibly irritable. But early days still and I will see how I go. I also walk the dogs every day and go to gym once a week, and plan to up this to more hopefully.

Someone said in an earlier post that it's most likely the diet and exercise that loses weight and we shouldn't need anything else. To this I simply say: Do you REALLY think we would be here, doing this now, seeking support on forums, trying duromine if we hadn't simply tried diet and increase exercise to lose weight before? I have tried and tried and am still trying. I don't know about anyone else, but I tend to have a psychological war with food. Just because it's all I ever think about, from one meal to the next: "What will my next meal be? What do I feel like eating? What taste do I want in my mouth?" It's always been this way for me, for as long as I can remember. A genuine feeling of joy and happiness to be eating something creamy, salty or sweet. To not experience that for just one day has been amazing, and I hope the next days will follow suit. Because of it I was able to focus on uni work for 6 hours straight and pump out a huge essay more than a day before it's due (I'm the type to slack off and do it all last minute). Side effects I had today were dry mouth, and I was bordering on headache until I drank a whole heap of water. I also felt different, but as I said earlier it was a mellowing feeling. The fatigue and lull in energy I usually get at 11am and then again around 3 or 4pm gives me terrible mood swings.

Anyway! Congratulations if you read this entire essay!I will report back in 1 week :)

So my opening stats are:
Female of 23 years old :)
165cm/ 5'5"
Starting weight (I'm using different scales with a -2 difference to the wii fit I was previously using):
11/05/2011 - 100kg
Goal Weight - 65kg
kyzalie

Postby tazzy_chazzy » Wed May 11, 2011 11:50 pm

Hi,

Thankyou for posting on about your experience with duromine. I was on it about a year ago on 15mg and i lost 4kg in the first month. I have been watning to go back on it again, but am finding it so impossible to get a perscription.

good luck with it all!

-Tara
tazzy_chazzy

Postby kyzalie » Thu May 19, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi all,

First week over, 1.3 kg down :) side effects are minimal to non-existent. I still get a little hungry, but not "crazy hungry" as I like to call it. Haven't craved a thing!

Watch this space :)
kyzalie

Postby happygirl » Sat May 21, 2011 7:32 am

Hi, i've been on duromine for 2 days and lost 1.7kgs so far... I am havng trouble sleeping and have a dry mouth but apart from that I seem fine. I would eventually like to go down to 65 kilo's but am happy to get to 70 and work from there - I was 79.2 a week or so ago. I have lost 12.6 kilo's without duromine but seemed to get caught in a rut so this is helping me shed my remaining weight. One thing I have noticed is I seem to have bad breath, has anyone else had this? Thanks nd goodluck
happygirl

Postby KittyMul » Sat May 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi Happygirl,

Bad breath is pretty common, it's from the dry mouth. I find chewing gum solves both problems, and make sure you're drinking lots of water. If you're having trouble sleeping the best thing to do is to take it very early in the morning. I set an alarm for 5am, take my duromine and then go back to sleep for a few hours. Since I've started doing this I've had no trouble sleeping at all :)

Good luck and congratulations on all the weight you've lost so far!
SW: 121kg
CW: 96.4kg
GW: Less than I weigh now...
KittyMul

Postby annini88 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:34 am

Hiya. I was just curious if anyone know of a GP who would prescribe duromine in brisbane/gold coast. Im 175cm and 63kg so don't have a very high BMI. I used Duromine 3 years ago and went from 75kg to 55kg in 3 months. Best thing I ever did, and gave me the most amazing eating habbits and confidence. Sadly my engagement has ended the end of last year when my fiance cheated on me so the kilos just piled back on. I really need a little bit of a confidence boost and a kickstart in my new life overhaul! :) help anyone? :?
annini88

Postby LeeLee86 » Sat May 28, 2011 4:38 am

Hello! I have just started taking duromine, prescribed by my GP. Currently on day 4. I am 150cm tall, and weigh 79kg, BMI=OBESE.
Ever since day 1 of taking this drug, i have never experienced any of the comon side effects e.g palpitations, feeling 'speedy', insomnia, etc. In fact i feel more tired. And the weirdest (and saddest) part is i am constantly HUNGRY. I take 3 meals a day. For brekkie, i take eggs (either soft boiled, hard boiled, poached, or scrambled) with/without toast. Lunch would be just a sandwich, and dinner roasted chicken/ grilled fish with vegies. However, my stomach is ALWAYS rumbling. I am going to see my GP again on Day 8.
I feel so disappointed with this experience. I had such high hopes on Duromine to DECREASE my appetite. Instead, i get even hungrier. And most times i would need to CONSCIOUSLY tell myself not to take that shocolate bar sitting in the fridge. I read through many DUROMINE forums on the net to research about this drug prior to taking them. So i dunno why this is happening to me. Please help!!!
LeeLee86

Postby LeeLee86 » Sat May 28, 2011 4:44 am

Oh btw, i forgot to mention that i am taking Duromine 30 mg. I dunno if i am taking it the right way. I wud wake up at 6am, take Duromine with water, then snooze off again. I wud then have brekkie at about 9 am. But by 11am, hunger pains would strike.

Do u think i should increase the dose???

i feel very sad :(
LeeLee86

Postby Tigerlily82 » Sat May 28, 2011 11:25 pm

LeeLee86 : Please do not lose hope. Duromine works differently for everyone. It might just be a matter of increasing your dosage to a higher one but I would definitely suggest going to see your doctor first . You might have other medical issues which would explain why you still feel hungry .

Let us know how you go.

Tigerlily82
Tigerlily82

Postby lella_bella » Mon May 30, 2011 3:56 am

Hey all,

My experience with duromine was not so happily ever after, I tried it 4 years ago for two weeks and lost 5 kilos with out any effort. The side effects were really bad, not so much on thirst and lack of sleep, but rather a mixture of depression and irritability, not depression as in ; i want to go kill my self,,, but rather 'Dear Universe, leave me the F***alone, get out of my face or die' type of depression/irritability, it got to the stage where i was at work and would look longingly at the door and just want to walk out (was weird cause I loved my job), i had a a very mini car crash, it felt like i drank 4 cans of red bulls, heart beating so fast, very alert but in a daze, therefore the car crash. I would be on the verge of tears all the time, I took a lot of sick days off work bcoz I couldn’t face the day, and eventually I did quit my job. It was an awesome job, fan-freakin-tastic pay, I loved the people i worked with, was going to make it to a permanent position as the opportunity was there, all I had to do was continue the role for another month. So that was a major regret, but i was so miserable and unhappy and all i wanted to do was crawl in bed and be far away from people and civilization. It took me about a month to get back to normal, during that month i was completely the opposite of my former self, one of the qualities that i can tick and say that’s definitely me is my virtue of patience, I'm always patient, very easy going and 'got a love to give' type of person. During that horrible period, i would snap at my partner or anyone around me for no reason, I was foul to be around, i really hated the person that i turned into, when i looked in the mirror, it’s like an evil twin was staring back at me ( maybe I’m being a little bit dramatic here) but it was a horrible experience, not only did i end up gaining back the weight i lost, i gained an extra 5 kilos. I saw duromine as a quick fix, and that it was, but i did not have the strong foundation to build a healthy eating habit and regular exercise to maintain the weight loss and keep it off. I've had a baby since, and finding it hard to shed the weight that i gained during pregnancy, sometimes i think of giving duromine another go, especially moments like these where you read other peoples success stories, it gives you a glimpse of hope that it will do the same for you. After writing this, flash backs and a reality check, i don’t think I’m in the category of the lucky few with minimal side effects, if it happened b4, it will probably happen again. I guess I have to lose weight the old fashioned way, exercise and healthy eating. I have to remind my self that i have to place realistic goals, and there is no such thing as a permanent quick fix , only temporary ones. I wish everyone the best of luck and hope your goals to a healthy journey is successful :)
lella_bella

Postby blw » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi Everyone,

I haven't written a post since I first started taking 30mg Duromine. Actually today starts my 6th week on duromine.

I have some good news to report. In those 6 weeks I have lost almost 9kg (at present i am at about 8.5kg down). I haven't been doing exercise, just going about my day. I did start a brand new job 4 weeks ago and was a little worried how i would cope but so far so good. My job does entail me to run some errands so I am exercising more, it just isn't traditionally scheduled exercise.

My only problem is that I have had problem sleeping so I was prescribed Tamazapan (which didn't help at all unless you think sleeping for 3 hours and then having your brain awake from 3/4am until your alarm goes off :cry: ) I have now been prescribed Ativan that has allowed me to get a few more hours sleep a night. I still wake up during the night somewhat alert but most often than not, i am able to get back to sleep after an hour or so of trying :? .

I got my second prescription of DM and this time it will be 40mg. A new chemist called Chemist King has opened near me. My first prescription of DM 30 cost me $116 (i shopped around but that was the cheapest at the time, at the other pharmacy's DM cost $128 :shock: - but when i got my second filled at Chemist King, it cost me $95. For my next prescription I am trying the generic version Metermine 40mg so hopefully there isn't any bonus side effects etc.

So far I am happy, I am sure that If I scheduled in some exercise that I might have lost a bit more but with all my medical training at the moment, having to get used to working again after a 7 month unemployment break (came back from o/s and couldn't find a job) as well as trying to finish a course I was doing in my out of work hours before the deadline is kind of taking it's tole.

My daily food usually looks like:

B: 1 weetbix with water or a slice or two of bacon
L: a mandarin, an apple, a banana and a large handful of raw nuts like almonds/macadamia or cashews - sometimes a plain yogurt
D: some taco mince with some romaine lettuce, tomato, (sometimes a little avocado) sprinkle of cheese and a scoop of taco sauce on two mountain breads folded up.
I drink a lot of water a day 2-3 litres and usually have one cup of coffee with one small spoon of sugar and a dash of milk.

I rarely feel hungry but if I do, I usually have a drink and wait a while and if i am still hungry I snack on fruit/nuts or protein based: scrambled egg with a little bit of cottage cheese YUM. I haven't had soft drink, chocolate, takeaway or other crap in over 6 weeks. The only sugar i have is one spoon in my coffee and that is usually only on work days when I need a bit of a kick up the butt.

I hope everyone is doing well on their journey.

x bon
ImageImage
blw

PreviousNext

Return to True Stories