It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:20 pm

Free Newsletter

My Weight-Loss Experience on DUROMINE

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: My Weight-Loss Experience on DUROMINE

Postby KittyCat88 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi blw

I really enjoyed reading your post. And a huge congrats to you on your loss of 9kgs. That is a really good loss and you are doing an amazingly good job :D
I am also on Duromine 30mg, I get the Metermine though and the side effects are the same. Im about 5 weeks in myself, it would be 6weeks but I havent been able to do anything this week as I have had Pneumonia :( I had to stop the Duromine to take several different antibiotics, none of which have very nice side effects.

But I wish you all the nest on your weightloss journey and I really look forward to seeing more posts about your progress :D good luck
KittyCat88

Postby Fallonw » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:10 pm

It has taken me about 10 months to lose 29kg.

I have another 11kg to lose.

I am still fighting with my eating habits and exercise.

Would Duromine help me control my appetite and let me set up my diet and exercise so that I can change my lifestyle?
Fallonw

Postby Mummy_of_2 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:57 pm

I am 24 years old and have been prescribed duromine 40mgs. I currently weigh 80kgs and around 160cms. I weighed 60kgs when I was 21 and then fell pregnant with my second child and let myself go. I felt so depressed with myself and my weight so i asked the doctor if i can get prescribed this drug. I am totally aware of the side effects good and bad but didn't realise it was going to be this bad.
My friend was on duromine for a month and lost 5kgs a week! Yep, jealous!!
I have been on it for four days now and have not slept a wink. My eyes are so sore and i feel like a zombie. I am getting the dry mouth but although i hate drinking water i have been drinking 2 bottles a day. I am also going to the gym 4 times a week (for the past 2 weeks) and have a personal training session once a week. I weighed 79.80 on wednesday and today is friday and i weigh 79.30. Not much difference really considering how much pain my body is in from working out so hard. My appetite is COMPLETELY gone and everything i eat is a turn off (and i use to eat A LOT!). Things like plain crackers taste so bad to me and even coke doesnt taste appealing anymore which i guess is a good thing cause I am a coke a cola addict. I am not sure if i should take it every second day or just keep going and see how it goes. I guess I just really badly want to sleep and hopefully i finally fall asleep tonight. If anyone can help me out in any way I would really appreciate it.
Mummy_of_2

Postby KittyMul » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:11 am

Mummy o Two - I would definitely switch to taking it every second day! I recently suddenly stopped being able to sleep - I asked the pharmacist and he said the dose is too high for me now that I've lost weight. He said every second day is fine because it takes that long to get out of your system anyway, but next time I get a new prescription, get the 15mg instead. I know that when I don't sleep, I don't lose or I gain, so sleeping is very important for weight loss!

Good luck and sweet dreams :)
SW: 121kg
CW: 96.4kg
GW: Less than I weigh now...
KittyMul

Postby Mummy_of_2 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:06 pm

Hi there, thanks for the reply. I didnt take the tablets over the weekend so I could get some rest. But started taking it again and cant sleep. When i didnt take the tablet on Saturday i felt so hungry i just wanted to eat everything and anything (like usual) so thats why im afraid to take it every second day.. Maybe I should go to the doctors and get another prescription for a smaller dose? I appreciate the feed back!!
Mummy_of_2

Postby kendra! » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi

I love this blog.

I was wondering if you could advise me what is a realistic amount of weight to lose on Duromine (good diet...decent exercise) per week?
I need to lose 13 kg and I want to set a realistic set of goals.

Thanks
kendra!

Postby kyzalie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:05 am

Hi guys!

I'm glad so many of you are seeing results, it's great to hear. As for you mum of two, I'm actually really surprised that the doctor has given you such a high dosage when you weigh 80kg! I would have thought they'd give you the 15mg dose. I'm 23, 165cm tall and currently weigh 96-97kg, down from 102 in the month I've been taking 30mg duromine (Metermine). I wouldn't want to lose 5kgs a week, that's too much for your body to keep up with! No, I lose between 0.5 and 2 kg a week. My doctor was so hesitant to prescribe it to me, but she was really understanding about me wanting to do it, and said if I tried Xenical first and it didn't work that she'd prescribe Duromine. Xenical was awful! At least for me, anyway. She was the 3rd doctor I saw, too. I saw two others who wouldn't even listen and just said no, go see a nutritionist.
What if you split your capsule and only took half the contents? Like I said, I take 30mg and I sleep fine. The effects I have had are a bit more energy, loss of what I call "psycho-cravings," but also a bit of dry mouth due to dehydration. I sorted that out by drinking more water.

Yeah aside from that though, I still have 30kg to go! But it's ok I'll work towards it :)
kyzalie

Postby aftmostfuture » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:33 pm

Hi, I am wondering, are u still eating, everyone i have talked to says that u still need to eat, but why would you eat if not hungry.. i am 23yr old female 173cm tall and was weighing 91kg, i now weigh 86kg and i am not yet finished my first pack of duromine 40mg.. i sleep fine because i take the tablet at 5am every morning, i just want to know even if i dont eat much will i still loose weight?
aftmostfuture

Postby 8legna » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:37 am

Hi, started Duramine 4 June and to date, 4 July have lost 9kg. Have been using Optifast/slim as meal replacements for all meals, no snacks, no alcohol, no sugar in tea/coffee, plenty of water, and fibre drink twice daily. Seeing my doctor every 10-14 days and is very supportive. Have had little exercise, maybe 2-3 times per week, 30min bike ride (real bike outside) which I have found a lot of fun! Enjoying it so much i now want to ride more often and intend to do 45-50 minutes on the weekend. Started putting my bike in the car and finding new and interesting places to ride. Have read the mountain of post, some scary and others positive. Will keep a focus on the positive ones, while keeping in mind it is essential to make sensible food choices and senisble lifestyles changes in order to make the success long term. Have no trouble getting off to sleep, however wake about 3-4am. Only one teary night, but I think it was a new-moon eclipse (LOL!!!). Will continue for another few weeks (takes me to six week mark) then slowly introduce meals, (very carefully planned by me and my doctor together). Starting weight 97kg now 88kg.
8legna

Postby KittyCat88 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:31 am

aftmostfuture wrote:Hi, I am wondering, are u still eating, everyone i have talked to says that u still need to eat, but why would you eat if not hungry.. i am 23yr old female 173cm tall and was weighing 91kg, i now weigh 86kg and i am not yet finished my first pack of duromine 40mg.. i sleep fine because i take the tablet at 5am every morning, i just want to know even if i dont eat much will i still loose weight?

In relation to your question you need to make yourself eat a minimum of 3 small meals a day. If you are only eating, lets say for example a small dinner, once you are off Duromine and you have nothing in your system to suppress you appitite you are just going to stack the weight back on and end up heavier then you were when you started. My best advice to you is to do your homework, learn portion control and learn what types of foods are good and bad. So that when you do come off duromine you have the knowledge and know how to maintain and if you choose to even further your weight loss. Duromine is NOT a miracle drug and should not be treated that way. If you are serious about loosing the weight and keeping it off you need to have a good knowledge of your body, how to control yourself and make sure you always understand 100% about what you are putting into your body.
Best of luck :)
KittyCat88

Postby Tigerlily82 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi all,

It has been a while since I last posted a message on this forum and I hope that all of you are doing well with your journey in losing the excess of weight.

I can say that I have finally reached my goal and is currently weighing 60 kg.
I started Duromine 30 mg on 15 Feb 2011 being slighly over 80 kg and as of today 26.07.2011, I have lost 20 kg in total.

There are ups and downs....
the Up part was that the medicine worked wonders with barely any side effects except for the one off dizinness whenever I stand up too quickly. I am sleeping better than ever and for whatever reason having less white hair. Clothes have gone loose and it feels ohh soo much better going shopping and being able to fit in a dress size off the rack. So it really paid off.

On the down side, I don't know if this will make sense to you guys but whenever I see myself in the mirror , I know that it is me but at the same time know that it isn't. I think that my brain hasn't yet registered the fact that I lost the weight as it happened quickly. I do get complimented a lot for sure but for whatever strange reason, I don't feel connected yet.

I still see myself as being fat and ugly ...
I think that one of the reason is because let's say a person loses around 20 kg starting from an AU size 16, you would think that he/she would be wearing around a size 8-10 in clothes ... well I am right now ranging from a big 12 to still a 16 !!!
I was told that I have big bones ( genetics ) .. yeah right ! I have friends who are skinnier than me and their wrist are actually bigger than mine. Their fingers actually overlaps when they put it around my wrist.

Anyway, I hope that my frame of mind changes for the better and adjusts to the new me .
Going to see the Doc this Thursday to see what is the next plan of action. ( might be decreasing dosage slowly to let body adjust to next to none duromine)

Wish you all the best and hope that you will all share your journey.

Take care

Tigerlilies
Tigerlily82

Postby Sweetpoison123 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi I just started duromine 40mg today.. My weight is 71 n m 157 cm tall.. I thot it wud b hard get a prescription from my gp but I jus said m physically active like going to gyms n tried so many expensive ways like lite n easy n stuff to lose weight but not helping so I wanna try duramine n he jus gave it to me..
I woke up at 6 had my tab 1 st thing wid a glass of water n then after 20 mins I had 1 crunchy muesli bar... Then after 2 hours I had 4 strawberries n for lunch I had 2 mandarines.. But m stil duin ok by now n it's only 12:45 orelseby this time I wud hv starved like anything b4... My goal is to loose atlist 15 kg..I'll write more soon....
Sweetpoison123

Postby Sweetpoison123 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:41 am

Day 2
Start weight 71kg
I slept ok.. No headaches nothin but I noticed though my mind doesn't tells my body wen it's hungry.. Stil my body ( wen it's eating time) wud get very low in energy n I'll b yawning n stuff alot but as soon as I wud hv little something to eat even fruits ( which I hated before) I will be re-energized again... So yeah I havnt taken my 2nd pill yet coz it's not 6.. So m gonna hv a little something to eat now n then I'll hav my pill n off to work..
Sweetpoison123

Postby shelldrake » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:54 pm

this is my second day on duromine and i'm not feeling too bad,i went to the docs because my obesity is now affecting my health eg.bad back,high blood pressure etc.
My friend currently takes it and is doing really well so i went and discussed it with my doctor,she was very supportive and i was able to continue with my high blood pressure tablets,i have to go for check ups every week.
My symtoms have been a little restless at night,dry mouth(so drinking more water)and feeling a little out of it but ive been reasured that this will pass after a few days,i havn't been over energised like what some people have been,but my hunger pangs have now eased.
I'm eating oats for breakfast,half a sandwich(which i struggle with) for lunch and a small evening meal and lots of water to drink.
My weight at starting was 105kg so hopefully come next week i might see a difference.
shelldrake

Postby blw » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi all,

I started Duromine (Metermine) about 3.5-4 months ago. So far I have lost approx 13-14 kilos - slowly but surely. I was on 30mg for 2 months and then went up to 40mg.

I am extremely happy with the progress so far as I have only been concentrating on my eating. I started at just over 120kilos and now fluctuate around 107 so I figured I would conquer my eating regime and lose some weight before I added exercise to the mix.

The only side effects that I still get are some trouble sleeping and a little trouble climaxing (too much info, apologies :wink: ) but that could also be contributed to my other medication. (anyone else suffering from either of these??)

I tend to eat extremely well but occasionally allow myself a treat. The difference about it now is that I don't eat much and I barely crave food so it isn't like I HAVE to have something or I NEED something to fill a void. Honestly, some days I forget to eat a meal because I am not that hungry. So now I only eat when I need to eat.

At approximately the 2.5 month mark I started taking the tablets every second day or Monday to Friday but not on weekends to change it up and keep my body guessing. It did help me a little with my sleeping troubles. I see that a few newbies above have started taking the meds every second day. I really think this isn't a good idea until you have been on the medication for at least a few months and it has been built up in your system that way taking it every second day isn't going to give you side effects from withdrawal. I also believe you should start with 30 mg and then up it to 40mg when the 30mg stopped being effective. If I could go back I would have stuck with the 30mg for at least another 2 months before going up.

One thing I am glad about is that I have all you guys here on this journey with me. It is very nice to know that there are others who know how you feel and what you are going though.

Anyway, eat well, drink lots of water and believe in yourself and it WILL HAPPEN.

Bonnie
ImageImage
blw

PreviousNext

Return to True Stories