It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:06 pm

Free Newsletter

My Weight-Loss Experience on DUROMINE

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: My Weight-Loss Experience on DUROMINE

Postby andyjewell » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:00 am

hi all, i just wanted to update. Tomorrow marks my 2 weeks on Duromine. I am LOVING it! the first week i took it everyday. the only side effects were light headedness and insomnia. After about 5 days i was able to sleep as normal. This second week i have been taking it every second day (as advised by my dr) and i have no side effects at all. I was actually hoping to get the dry mouth that everyone talks about because i just don't drink enough water, but no such luck. lol A couple of days ago i had lost 1.9kgs since being on duromine and 2.7kgs all up in the last 3 weeks. I know it's not alot but it's actually really good for me! The first week i weighed myself everyday and i was less every day. that NEVER happens to me. ever. I'm thinking of maybe going back to taking it everyday though. I still struggle on the off days to not overeat. Don't 'they' say that it takes 21 days to break a habit? lol

Postby ShazzaB » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi Peeps
Im on my first day of 30mg Metermine which im told is the same as Duromine? I have PCOS which makes it hard to loss the weight i want, plus after doing some research have found that when i get to a healthy weight range the symptoms wont be as bad. But the main motivator is to get my self confidence back, and be able to wear the cloths tucked in the back of my closet :) Im 193cm and was weighed in by my doctor at 104kg. I don't own a set of scales and was surprised at those numbers on the scale and how they affected me. Its amazing how much weight one can accumulate and not even realise, especially when your 6'3. I used to work on the mines as a field assistant for 7 yrs and at one stage was proud to hit the beach in my bathers as i was eating right and working 12hr shifts doing hard manual labour. Now im engaged to the man of my dreams and studying at uni, but i miss the confidence i used to have in myself and cant really remember when i started to think of myself differently.
From reading everyones amazing stories im hoping this will give me the helping hand i need. I walk my 2 dogs daily for about 40min and do volleyball once a week and read my textbooks or video lectures while im on the treadmill. My downfall is that i love to snack, so when i picked up my box of Metermine from the pharmacist i went into Woolworths and stocked up on fruit and veg and said no to all the junk food in their bright packaging. So i have a kitchen full of all the right foods, i have my own mini gym and 2 pups that are in for alot of exercise on my path to a better me. Im not concerned about the sleeplessness as i have exams in the coming weeks would be studying anyway :)

Postby Starlab808 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:28 am

Great stuff Shazza.

I'm coming to the end of my 8th week of Duromine(Metermine).

My starting weight was 134kg and I'm now down to 116 as of yesterday morning. Your losses maybe extreme or little to none in the first week. I lost 6 kilos in the first week but also didn't get a great deal of sleep but once the body adjusted I now sleep fine.

Keep up the water and you should go fine!

Postby court » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:20 am

I used to be really active on this forum, went from 92kgs to 65kgs with healthy eating and exercise. Im not sure if you guys have read back what you write on here but it is a bit worrying...pumping your bodies full of drugs to lose weight is just scary.

I appreciate some of you have written that you have "tried everything else" but honestly have you stuck to it for long enough to see results? It took me 4 years to lose 27kgs, I wasnt in a rush. when you say "it isnt working ive only lost 4kgs in 3 weeks" :shock: you should be ecstatic to lose 1/2 - 1kg per week.

Im sure I am going to get attacked for saying this, and that is ok I am not concerned cos I am writing this from a 'wanting to help' standpoint. I would really love for you all to realise it isnt all necessarily about what size you wear or what the scales say but about how you feel about yourself and how healthy you are on the inside. I even gave up diet coke as who KNOWS what preservatives and artificial sweeteners are doing to your system long term.

Best of luck I'm cheering everyone who tries to lose weight on, just want to re-iterate that there are easier and safer ways to do it :)

Postby andyjewell » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:12 pm

I don't feel like i am pumping my body full of drugs at all. I'm all for natural unless absolutely necessary. for example - if i didn't take antidepressants i'd probably be dead right now. I'd take drugs over that any day. Duromine was my absolute last resort. That can be hard to understand unless you have been in my shoes. I'm losing slowly, which i think is great because it means i have a better chance of keeping it off. Plus i am retraining my body to eat less without my body screaming at me that i am depriving it of it's addiction. I've lost 3.8kgs. I'm so excited to hit the 4kg mark!

Postby Casey » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:32 am

Conrgats Andy.

I have hit the six week mark and I am very pleased with my progress. I also have turned to duromine as a last resort -and to help me kickstart change in my life. I am happy to say that I no longer desire bad food; I feel like I have retrained my body to live without it. After all, isnt it four weeks to break or make a habit? The real challenge was not sinking into comfort food when I got really sick - but I refrained.

I will be on duromine for a bit longer but I am hoping that after my repeats run out, I will be close enough to my goal weight to not be overwhelmed and do it myself.

Postby tegan1971 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi All,

Congrats to everyone on their weight loss successes.
The reason I have joined in the conversation is because I'm on day 4 of Duromine 30mg and wanted to assess how eveyrone else is feeling and read some of the success stories. The first 3 days were absolute hell for me, neusea, migraine, depression, constipation, insomnia... you name it, whatever was listed as a side effect onthe leaflet, I had it. I was seriously considering kicking it all to the kerb but today, day 4 is remarkably different.
This is my second time on Duro, I took it in '07 just before my wedding and the weight was literally falling off me. I don't know how much I weighed before and after (the scales and I are old frenemies) but I lost at least 3 dress sizes.
So I put some of that weight back on (used to be a comfortable size 12, now on the stretchy side of 14) so I'm hoping to shed at least 15kg.
I'll share my progress along the way, hoping it will help some of you with your journey.
Any tips, advice, hints, words of wisdom, comments are appreciated :D

Postby Tegan1984 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:51 pm

I can COMPLETELY relate, and my doctor told me that going on Effexor for almost 2 years, your metabolism is a lot slower than it was, and weight gain is a side effect - just wanted to post my story to you. It's so inspirational to meet someone who has been through the same thing...

Hi there,

I was prescribed in late 2009 effexor as I used to get very bad panic attacks, which my doctor slowly worked me off effexor this year when I was ready to come off them.

I have not been on the effexor since August this year, (so not long), and in the last 2 weeks, during a work health check where we were weighed, I was told I weigh 121kgs and am morbidly obese.

I went from 75kgs to 121kgs in less than 2 years.

I feel so stupid that I only recently I discovered how big I am, I am so embarrassed, I knew that I had put on a little bit of weight because over those 2 years I bought size 18 jeans and work pants, and flowy tops, I never weighed myself and thought I was around the 90kg mark, but not 121 kgs.

I am so scared to have gone from healthy to morbidly obese.

I panicked because I am quite active, and very good with my food (most of the time).

I went straight to the doctor who told me the weight gain in that short amount of time is in fact a side effect of the drug Effexor and that it is a common problem for many people who are on or have been on effexor.

Apparently it does affect your metabolism making it hard to shed weight when you come off them, has anyone else been through this before?

My doctor prescribed me duromine to get my body working again, after only 3 days, I feel amazing and can't believe that already with my normal excersize program I have lost 2.6kgs and I only started on Saturday the 26th of November

I am doing everything I normally would (although in saying that I have NO appetite so making myself eat really small portions of heathly food during the day and lots of water! )

I set my alarm and wake up at 5am to take the duromine and have been sleeping really great at night.

I am so happy that my body seems to be working properly again as when you work hard and get no results or little results it's very discouraging.

I am 27 years old and I look forward to any tips or feedback, also I would like to ask if anyone has been in the same situation as me with the effexor and had the same problem? and how did you get past it?

Is anyone else had the same success with duromine this far into it?

Postby evileye88 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum....

So here's my story (short version)

When i was 16 i was 110kg and 164cm tall
After years of every paying out on me and telling me to do something, I finally decided I didnt want to be fat anymore... so i exercised to the point of killing myself, and ate right... after 2 years i had gone from 110kg down to 50kg... I felt great.. and looked great, and I had never been happier.....(apart from the saggy skin I had on my belly & arms!)
Fast forward 4 years and I somehow managed to gain all my weight back when I fell pregnant last year.
In the period of 9 months I went from being 50kg to 100kg the day I gave birth.... (mind you bub was only 2.5kg!) Since then I have gained another 13kgs.... I still exercise everyday (and did throughout my pregnancy) and I still eat as healthy as I can...
Anyway, im now 23 and weigh 113kg, fell horrible, look horrible, i dont go out, i dont see my friends and try to avoid family... ive gone from wearing size 6 clothes to not being able to find anything that fits... I bought size 24!!!!!! shirts the other day :(

I went and saw my doc the other day to see what I could do about my situation and he suggested that once a woman has a baby everything changes... apparantly my ability to loose weight aswell!
He prescribed me duromine but my chemist only had metermine.. which I took for the first time today.... so far... so good...

I have a slight headache... and my mouth is a little dry, but I have been drinking water all day so thats helping.
I still feel hungry.. but my stomach isnt demanding food.. its just a gentle reminder that it could use something inside it.. so I have been making sure to eat every couple of hours...

Here's hopeing metermine will give me a kickstart to yet another weighloss journey... I know its not a miricle drug.. but maybe if it helps me loose the first couple of kgs the rest will be easier....

Postby evileye88 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:14 pm

So today is my 4th day on Metermine...feeling ok!

I have been taking my pills at 4am every morning (as this is when my husband gets up for work), i then go back to sleep for about an hour...
I havent had any problems sleeping... by 8pm im usually ready to crash out... so thats been great.. i was really worried id be up all night!
I've had a dry mouth but im drinking pleanty of water... Ive also had headaches every day, I asked my dr and he said it was ok to take nurofen.. i usually only have to take 2 and im fine after that.

Im not sure if its actually working for me, I still feel hungry.. and at some points VERY hungry.. but ive noticed i dont snack as much throughout the day.. and im usually satisfied with little amounts of food. Im hopeing I didnt make a mistake by buying Metermine instead of Duromine...
I couldnt help myself the other day and i ate roast pork and potatoes at my mums house... and within 5 minutes I felt VERY VERY ill... im putting that down to the oil and salt!

I cant say I feel like I have extra energy... I haven't been tempted to scrub the house clean or go for a 10km run like some other people... but I am keeping up with my every day work outs (1hr treadmill, 1hr bike)

I havent weighed myself yet but I plan to do so on Friday (1 week on Metermine), but my dr doesnt want to see me until I've finished my one month trial... he said as long as nothing is worrying me, to leave it until its been 30 days... So I wont know my exact weight loss until about the 15th of Jan 2012 as all scales are different!
Really hopeing that when I do go to see my dr in Jan that I will have lost at least 7kg!

I'll check in again in a couple of days....

Postby wants2loseWEIGHT » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:10 pm

Just dropped by to greet everyone a Happy New Year! All the best to all of us! :D
To lose weight is to change your lifestyle to a healthy one - Marga

01/11/2011 = 102 kg
06/02/2012 = 93 kg
26/03/2012=91 kg
16/04/2012=88.4 kg
01/05/2012=85.1 kg
17/06/2012=78.1 kg
01/07/2012=76 kg
22/07/2012=72.5 kg
20/08/2012=68.5 kg
03/09/2012=67.8 kg
30/09/2012=66.1 kg
30/10/2012=64.9 kg
30/11/2012=62.1 kg
09/12/2012=62.2 kg
23/12/2012=61.9 kg
05/01/2013=62 kg
24/02/2013=59.9 kg

Postby Roblyssa » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:25 am

evileye88 wrote:Im not sure if its actually working for me, I still feel hungry.. and at some points VERY hungry.. but ive noticed i dont snack as much throughout the day.. and im usually satisfied with little amounts of food. Im hopeing I didnt make a mistake by buying Metermine instead of Duromine...

I cant say I feel like I have extra energy... I haven't been tempted to scrub the house clean or go for a 10km run like some other people... but I am keeping up with my every day work outs (1hr treadmill, 1hr bike)

Firstly, the Metermine and Duromine are exactly the same. One is a generic brand, the other is more expensive as it carries the name. The ingredients are identical.

I am also on Duromine, today is day 6. I also feel hungry all the time, but I rather prefer that as I get so busy at work sometimes that I just wouldn't eat if my body didn't remind me to eat. So I snack regularly and stick to my calorie goal of 1200 per day.

The extra energy, I am also the same. No frantic scrubbing of the house or the desire to wash the car or anything :lol: but I do stick to my exercise of about an hour a day. Your daily workouts are great and I am sure you will do well.

I look forward to following your progress :D . Good luck!

Postby Lulu79 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi I am new here and will be starting my first course of Duromine 40mg on Saturday. I am pretty scared about weighing myself as I know it won't be good. Good luck to everyone on their weightloss journey. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Postby SugarandSpice » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi All,

Well, today is day 1 on metermine for me... Took it about 5.30am this morning.

This is my story

I am 42 years old
Single mother of 3 teens and full time carer for the oldest who is disabled.
I weigh 128.2kg and am 169cm tall. Need to lose at least 50kg's.
I have severe obstructive sleep apnoea, diabetes type 2 and high blood pressure - all of which my Dr believes could be relieved by weight loss.
I have tried so many things and so many times with no success, which is why I have finally succumbed to trying duromine (metermine).
I am hardly ever hungry.
I am always tired ( think this is due to sleep apnoea and diabetes - which I am treating but it does not seem to be improving).

I have read a lot of your posts (not all though), I don't appear to be having any side affects - no headaches or palpitations, although I do feel a little strange... I am actually still really tired and actually feeling a little hungry which is unusual for me. I think I may go make a sandwich for lunch...

All the best to everyone and look forward to getting to know some of you better.

Tegan1984 - I was on Effexor for 5 years!!! Have been off them now for about 6 months but have found it difficult to lose weight.
Created by - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Postby Lulu79 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:25 pm

So today was the first day of being on Duromine for me. I weighed myself for the first time in ages and I was disgusted by the result. So today is the first day of the new me. I haven't really had any unusual side effects today other than a dry mouth which I suppose is not such a bad thing, its getting me to drink more water than I normally would do. I have had a bit more energy than I normally do after a day at work so I got on the treadmill for 30mins this afternoon. I am keeping an open mind about all this. It will either help or not at least its putting me in the right head space to actually do something about my weight. Will keep you all posted on how it goes.

Return to True Stories