It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:56 pm

Free Newsletter

My Weight-Loss Experience on DUROMINE

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: My Weight-Loss Experience on DUROMINE

Postby hummingbird01 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:00 pm

hi all! stumbled across this thread and it looks like a good spot for me. several years ago i was prescribed Duromine- i weighed 105 kgs and got down to 80 kgs over about 7 months. I have been on Effexor 150mg and also Olanzapine to manage bipolar II( for the last 9 years). i also am an emotional eater! I had a very bad depression last year and regained 17 kilos back going to 97 kgs. i am certain that at least 10 kilos of my excess weight is a direct result of my medications, and sluggish metabolism is a side effect. However, because of anxiety/depression I feel i want to try Duromine again to get those numbers decreasing again. I felt good on it last time- but recall i really struggled after coming off it. i see there is a generic brand mentioned here- is it a cheaper alternative? i work full-time so probably wont get to the doctor for a script until next weekend. for now am just trying to stop the bingeing and making better food choices. hope to chat with some of you here on the thread. Happy New Year! :)
hummingbird01

Postby SugarandSpice » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi guys!!

Lulu = we seem to have started a day apart, so will be good to see how we both go! Did you sleep ok?

hummingbird = The metermine is only about $5-$10 cheaper I think - still I got it!!

Look forward to catching up on how we are all going

Vicki
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
SugarandSpice

Postby beebalicious » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi Everyone

After reading this thread a few days ago I just got myself a prescription for Duromine today. My doctor wants me to start on 15mg (she's been my doc for 11 years so I will trust her judgement on this) and we can increase the dose if it doesn't work for me.

Here are my stats:

Height: 170cm
Weight: 90.5kg

Feel like Ive been on a diet my whole life, the last year in particular I have been working out, eating heaps more veges/salad/lean meat/whole grains and its made little difference (I would've lost maybe 4kg this year). Im hoping the Duromine will kick start my motivation again and hopefully I will hit my goal weight of 65kg by July 15th (I am going to a ball in Singapore where Im getting an award from work). I haven't been under 70kg since I was 17, its a big mindset thing for me.

Im EXCITED!

beebalicious

Postby SugarandSpice » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Welcome and good luck!!
Vicki
SugarandSpice

Postby wants2loseWEIGHT » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:57 am

Hello beebalicious! I hope you're doing fine with your program and congrats for getting an award soon. Well, there's a lot of places to visit when you go to Singapore. Just enjoy your stay there and eat all you can, be sure to burn them out after. LoL.
To lose weight is to change your lifestyle to a healthy one - Marga

01/11/2011 = 102 kg
06/02/2012 = 93 kg
26/03/2012=91 kg
16/04/2012=88.4 kg
01/05/2012=85.1 kg
17/06/2012=78.1 kg
01/07/2012=76 kg
22/07/2012=72.5 kg
20/08/2012=68.5 kg
03/09/2012=67.8 kg
30/09/2012=66.1 kg
30/10/2012=64.9 kg
30/11/2012=62.1 kg
09/12/2012=62.2 kg
23/12/2012=61.9 kg
05/01/2013=62 kg
24/02/2013=59.9 kg
wants2loseWEIGHT

Postby CateyD » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:07 pm

Hi,
I am female, 24 years old and I started at 110kg. I take a 15mg pill at about 7 every morning,
I have been on Duramine for one week now, and have already reduced my weight to 99.8 kg, so thats about 10 Kg in a week.
The first day it was like nothing had changed, although I didn't want to eat at all, no increase or decrease in energy or mood swings.
The second day, was slightly rough though not painful, I was a little shakey, and clammy and got chills up and down my spine.
By the third day I was almost completely normal, I had energy, slight food cravings and felt awake, and strong.
Also when I looked in the mirror, I was surprised at how large I truly was, like I was seeing myself for the first time,
from another persons point of view, it was enlightening, and I was kind of surprised, and I guess I had been in denial for a long time.

I haven't had the "horror" side-effects that I expected, although I experienced a drastic reduction in appetite, a on-and-off increase in awareness and energy. I found I have a dry mouth at the beginning of the day, but it petered out around noon. I also feel much calmer, duramine has mellowed me out, things I would normally be extremely stressed about (like my mother-in-law) just seem insignificant.
What a relief! Now I am much slimmer, I feel lighter and my mood has improved,
I am more flexible, even down to smaller things, like getting up out of a chair isn't hard anymore.
I fit into my clothes, they're becoming increasingly more comfortable, and I fit into the smaller clothes that I have missed wearing.

Anyway..
My experience so far has been a positive one, I feel hopeful and excited at the prospect of seeing the healthy version of myself looking back from the mirror in the near future!
It has been helpful too, in dealing with why I am overweight, I feel like I have control over my eating habits now that I can examine them without the emotional or physical attachment. I am attending a weightloss support group, and learning about portion sizes and eating right for myself.
I will continue down this path until it runs it's course, and If I stay with Duramine from now until my goal, the plan my GP and I have discussed goes into place, to ease up on the duramine until my body has adjusted, and so I can get a feel for how I will need to go forewards into a healthier life without the use of it.
I think finding a balance is key, and though this may not be suitable for everybody, it just may be the way to the life you want, for those of us who can benefit from duramine.
CateyD

Postby CateyD » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi,
I am female, 24 years old and I started at 110kg. I take a 15mg pill at about 7 every morning,
I have been on Duramine for one week now, and have already reduced my weight to 99.8 kg, so thats about 10 Kg in a week.
The first day it was like nothing had changed, although I didn't want to eat at all, no increase or decrease in energy or mood swings.
The second day, was slightly rough though not painful, I was a little shakey, and clammy and got chills up and down my spine.
By the third day I was almost completely normal, I had energy, slight food cravings and felt awake, and strong.
Also when I looked in the mirror, I was surprised at how large I truly was, like I was seeing myself for the first time,
from another persons point of view, it was enlightening, and I was kind of surprised, and I guess I had been in denial for a long time.

I haven't had the "horror" side-effects that I expected, although I experienced a drastic reduction in appetite, a on-and-off increase in awareness and energy. I found I have a dry mouth at the beginning of the day, but it petered out around noon. I also feel much calmer, duramine has mellowed me out, things I would normally be extremely stressed about (like my mother-in-law) just seem insignificant.
What a relief! Now I am much slimmer, I feel lighter and my mood has improved,
I am more flexible, even down to smaller things, like getting up out of a chair isn't hard anymore.
I fit into my clothes, they're becoming increasingly more comfortable, and I fit into the smaller clothes that I have missed wearing.

Anyway..
My experience so far has been a positive one, I feel hopeful and excited at the prospect of seeing the healthy version of myself looking back from the mirror in the near future!
It has been helpful too, in dealing with why I am overweight, I feel like I have control over my eating habits now that I can examine them without the emotional or physical attachment. I am attending a weightloss support group, and learning about portion sizes and eating right for myself.
I will continue down this path until it runs it's course, and If I stay with Duramine from now until my goal, the plan my GP and I have discussed goes into place, to ease up on the duramine until my body has adjusted, and so I can get a feel for how I will need to go forewards into a healthier life without the use of it.
I think finding a balance is key, and though this may not be suitable for everybody, it just may be the way to the life you want, for those of us who can benefit from duramine.
CateyD

Postby teddybear17 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi everyone, I have been reading these threads for a couple of days, and today I went to my doctor and asked for Duromine, and after a good talk, she prescribed me 30 days of 30mg. I am starting in the morning, so hoping for not many side affects, don't sleep much now, so don't know if I can go without more. I notice that a lot of people have said that they take their capsule early in the morning, some even setting the alarm and then going back to sleep. My doctor has advised me to take mine with breakfast as some people feel sick after taking it and it helps if it is taken with food. Anyone heard this?
I have been dieting for nearly all my life, and hoping this along with the old sureslim diet that I did 6 years ago can get me back on the right track. At the moment all I want is to be under 100kgs, haven't been there for more than 30 years, so even on my 21st I was around 100, and I can not remember what it is like to walk into a shop and get clothes in the normal section, I am even struggling to find them in the large section as I have a really big stomach and it is so horrible to pull on a top, and it feels good until I get it to my waist and then it just doesn't go any further.
So here goes again, good luck to everyone else, no matter how much we have to lose, we are all in the same boat or we wouldn't be here.

This is my first major goal.
Next one is to get under 80kgs.
Finally, somewhere around 60kgs.
teddybear17

Postby SugarandSpice » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:32 pm

Hi teddybear17,

I had trouble sleeping the first night, but then I do sometimes anyway.... since then have not had any problems sleeping, in fact I still have a nanna nap each day ( I suffer from extreme tiredness most of the time even before the duromine). It has not made me feel sick either, I take it with a cup of coffee in the morning, then have breakfast after that.

I can relate to the shopping, although my problem was always the lower half of my body in the past few years my stomach has decided to catch up. I have huge thighs and hips - so am only just squeezing into size 26 pants - and sometimes even they dont fit. :( I used to be able to wear a size 18 top - then moved up to 20 - then 22 and am now at size 24. The shoudler and boob area are exteremly baggy and loose, but if i dont go that big it wont fit around my belly!! :(

CateyD - that is an astounding loss for 1 week. What is your calorie intake? what sort of exercise are you doing?

Vicki
SugarandSpice

Postby teddybear17 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks for that, this is nearly the end of my 3rd day, scales don't seem to be moving, but hard to tell on mine. Have not had any side affects though, have not slept much of a night for a couple of years, so seems much the same. My doctor told me that it doesn't work for everyone, so hopefully I am not one of them.
Looking forward to see how you are going. :D

This is my first major goal.
Next one is to get under 80kgs.
Finally, somewhere around 60kgs.
teddybear17

Postby MissyMay21 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi all

Just thought I'd share my experience as well. Around 2 years ago I found out about duromine after the tests the doctor perscribed me 2 months on 40mg. The first day it sent my blood pressure through the roof but that disappeared by the end of the day. I didnt have any other side effects. I was able to sleep fine and found my quality of sleep was much better. I got a little more irritable but it wasnt anything that couldnt be managed. I drank more water which was fantastic, I couldnt stand water before, and now I drink it like its going out of fashion. I ended up losing 15kgs in those 2 months and another 5 when I was off them.

I then fell off the wagon. I didnt put any weight back on and managed to keep it off for a year and a half, but now that I've got the motavation back I'm finding it hard to shed that last 20kgs. So I've gone back to the doctor who gave me another 2 months to aid me to break old habbits once and for all.

Duromine isnt for everyone. You need to trust your doctor with the mg theygives you and if you experience any side effects talk with them because it effects everyone differently.

mgw - 1/2/12: 82kgs complete :D
mgw - 1/3/12: 77kgs
mgw - 1/4/12: 72kgs
mgw - 1/5/12: 68kgs
MissyMay21

Postby wants2loseWEIGHT » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi Catey! Welcome and good luck. Keep focused and don't forget to create your own thread which will serve as your tracker :D
To lose weight is to change your lifestyle to a healthy one - Marga

01/11/2011 = 102 kg
06/02/2012 = 93 kg
26/03/2012=91 kg
16/04/2012=88.4 kg
01/05/2012=85.1 kg
17/06/2012=78.1 kg
01/07/2012=76 kg
22/07/2012=72.5 kg
20/08/2012=68.5 kg
03/09/2012=67.8 kg
30/09/2012=66.1 kg
30/10/2012=64.9 kg
30/11/2012=62.1 kg
09/12/2012=62.2 kg
23/12/2012=61.9 kg
05/01/2013=62 kg
24/02/2013=59.9 kg
wants2loseWEIGHT

Postby Tigerlily82 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:36 am

Hi all,

It's been a while since I last posted something ( July 2011 err )

I started my journey with Duromine in Feb 2010 and was around 80Kg. ( Im62)
Fast forward 11months and I am happy to say that I currently weight 54/55 Kg which was done with a combination of taking Duromine, exercise and healthy eating.
Almost no side effect except feeling light headed when I was standing up too quickly
Good side was that I was sleeping better than without it and was having less white hair ( I am almost 30 and used to pluck 2-3 every morning. Currently need to do so once every month or so ... unless they migrated to the far back of my head :) )

I had to suddenly stop taking it as I recently realised that my level of tolerance/patience has reduced drastically to the point that I couldn't control my anger anymore! This was pretty bad and realised that it might be due to the medicine thus me stopping it straight away.

It hasn't been that bad dealing with no duromine ( except that it happened a week before my period so err appetite did increase compared to before ) but my stomach has shrunk so was still feeling pretty full after 1-2 bits when having junk food.
I am now in my * period week* and all has gone back to normal. THANK GOODNESS !!!

Duromine has been the best thing in my life and this is together with healthy eating habits & exercise. I do not recommend it to everyone and would say that giving it a try is the first step but if you start feeling nauseous, heart palpitation, high blood pressure etc then you need to stop immediately as you are putting your life at risk.

I hope this helps & good luck to all of you.

Cheers,
Tigerlily82

Postby MissyMay21 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:16 pm

Hi tigerlily,

Congrats on your weight loss and maintaining it :D was just wondering how long you were on duromine for?

Miranda

mgw - 1/2/12: 82kgs complete :D
mgw - 1/3/12: 77kgs
mgw - 1/4/12: 72kgs
mgw - 1/5/12: 68kgs
MissyMay21

Postby Tigerlily82 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:25 am

Hi Miranda,

Thank you :)

I have been on duromine from 14 Feb 2011 to 22 Jan 2012.
Almost a full year. For the full duration of me being on the medicine, I was followed by my doctor.
The reason of him prescribing me for that long was because I had next to no side effect. My blood pressure was perfect. No heart palpitation. Even though all the internet reading etc stated that duromine should not be taken more than 3 months at a time in case of addiction etc , well this all depends on individual cases.
The new research showed that when one stopped taking the medicine after the 3 months prescription, the person will most likely put all the weight back on as body hasn't registered yet.
The best way ( and AGAIN NOT IN ALL CASES !!!! ) is to wean someone off slowly/gradually once you reach your target goal. After a while the medicine will pretty much not work at all and reducing the dosage slowly will allow your body to go back to normal. By then your stomach would have shrunk thus allowing you to maintain your current weight.

I hope this helps. I have seen some people being prescribed duromine for only 3 months. Lost the weight and put it back on. I was scared and was able to talk about it to my gp who told me exactly what he was planning as long as there were no side effect link to taking the drug.

Wish you all well and again what I am saying is from my own experience. Everyone is different and react differently to the drugs. Please do not forget that exercise and healthy eating plays a bit part in keeping the weight off after duromine !

All the best !
Tigerlily82

PreviousNext

Return to True Stories