It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:19 am

Free Newsletter

My story. Hello everyone!

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

My story. Hello everyone!

Postby whoareyou » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:30 pm

Hello, i have viewed the forum but decided to join today because I wanted to tell you guys how i have lost weight. I haven't reached my goal just yet but anyway I'll start from the start
I'm 21 and since I was 17 i was just getting fatter and fatter (i was always just a normal healthy weight, not sure what happened). I weighed myself at some point last year and I was hitting 90 kgs but in the mirror that is NOT what i saw! I think i have the opposite thing to anorexia where i see an average weight but everyone else sees a fatty. When i got the pictures back from my mums wedding where i was the bridesmaid, i could not believe, i looked like 'a fat girl'. anyway im sort of rambling but i need to add in
DIET'S DON'T WORK. As in, logically, if you drink your shakes or whatever, and u lose some weight, as soon as u go back to eating how u were the weight will just come on again. People fool themselves into thinking they can go on jenny craig for a while and be skinny. No ull have to stay on jenny craig for life. It's for life.
So anyway, personally, i went through something and ended up Vegan, about 5 months ago. I know someone posted about Skinny censored before, which is a great book but probably more for new vegans than omnivores.
So me opening myself up to the truth of animal products meant that my brain could no longer fathom eating the censored i always ate. I was forced (happily) to cook, to make vegan mash potatoes, to learn. Because being an animal activist is the most important thing to me now, i have met other vegans and we all support each other. (yes there a few fatty vegans but i haven't met them yet haha) and there are all these products out there now like vegan CHEESE (it's called cheezly) and vegan sour cream and cream cheese not that i recommend to stock up on those but im just saying! Also the mock meats (imitation bacon, chicken, etc etc) are not only yum but really good for you.
Basically, I have never felt healthier, happier or cleaner it's hard to explain.
I now am hovering just under 70 kgs. and for the first time, i am getting comments about how good i look- which is hard to get used to but i think i smile at the end of the day. My size 14 clothes are loose on me when they used to be so tight on one of my skirts i used to leave the top button undone haha
Some vegans just simply don't eat right and then put on weight, my biggest tool is keeping it simple. I don't cook alot of fancy recipes like vegan lasagna or vegan cakes and stuff.

Anyway so yes it has changed my life dramatically, and i'm STILL LOSING WEIGHT. And i'm helping animals and the planet.
I don't drive, i study, i work one shift a week and i volunteer and walk my dog. These things are my exercise. i have only just started doing 20 sit ups a day.
and i have a tip for everyone whether you consider being vegan or not- NO WHITE BREAD OR POTATO FRIES!!
http://www.vegansociety.com
i highly recommend http://whyveg.com/
http://www.tryveg.com/cfi/toc/
these type of sites will give you the why's and hows. notice i haven't even gone into the animal cruelty behind the meat industry, that's because it's so amazingly inconceivable and too many times people turn their backs and shut it out and go get a bucket of chicken from KFC.
Anyway I've lost at LEAST 15 kilos in 5 months and still going. I feel good. I eat well. I get all my vitamins (yes, im not fricken malnourished lol) and i think i can say im happy?! i doin't know. i do know my old eating ways messed with my brain.
Anyway, if you haven't already dismissed veganism because of stereotypes or misinformation, i hope you give it a look and feel free to email me at [email protected] if you want to talk.
thanks for listening.
whoareyou

Re: My story. Hello everyone!

Postby Strawberry » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi there, not to be rude or anything but it sounds like your spaming. Anyway your weight loss is great! Different strokes for different folks. I myself don't eat any red meat but still eat chicken, fish & dairy products. don't know if i could go vegan i love yogurt & cheese & egg to much 2 give it up.
Strawberry

Postby whoareyou » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:24 pm

haha do you mean at the start it sounds like spamming? or the whole thing? ... :| eep

Well yeah after I found out the truth and then saw it for myself I could not contribute any longer. and also 'free range eggs is a total load of censored just letting you know.

This is widely used & extremely 'innocent' looking cruel item. To obtain milk in more quantity, cows are kept wholelife in prison, given special injections regularly and milking is done with pain by machines. Cows are made pregnant so often. After pregnancy, the calf is sent to slaughterhouse. When cows become no longer useful, they are also sent to the slaughterhouse. Using milk & milk products supports lifelong pain & killing of cows. Many people use rice or soy milk instead of animal milk.

Cheese is made from milk after adding, mostly, animal enzymes, named 'bovine', derived after killing fresh born calf.

But yeah I did come here to focus on the weight loss side of things. It's just well that's just a great side effect of doing the right thing.
Also a great film to watch is Earthlings you can watch it for free on youtube.
whoareyou

Postby Strawberry » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:01 pm

oh not all of it just towards the end - thought u were spaming for the vegan site. :P
everyone is here 2 get support & motivation for weight loss. i don't think its counterproductive to scare people & make them feel guilty 4 what they eat. everyone is on different programs & do what works 4 them. i don't think its on 4 u 2 come on here & start talking about animal cruelity & how we shouldn't eat it - don't u think its up 2 the individual 2 decide what they should & shouldn't eat? ur passion 4 this comes out! I fully understand, i don't like 2 think about it but still eat white meat & dairy - this does not make me a bad person & health wise eating animal products is not bad lol. I guess i got a little suss when ur 1st post is sprouting links lol. Sorry don't mean 2 come out sounding all b*tchy: welcome to the forum! :) This is a great site & you'll get great advice & support.
Lol, don't mind me i'm just getting on my high horse - i should just keep my 2 cents to myself. :)
good luck with your journey!
what r ur weight loss goals?
Strawberry

Postby whoareyou » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:29 am

ohhhh the links aRE actually for people who are interested in understanding veganism and what benefits it has. health, animals and environment. they help alot of people.
whoareyou

Postby SarahC » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:09 pm

Hey thanks for sharing that info! I have been vegetarian for about 13 years now. I tried veganism for a bit but found it quite difficult, and even more so when I decided to go low carb :?

I have a bit of a silly question. You mentioned free-range eggs. The ones I buy I think are barn-laid, but the come with the RSPCA endorsement on them. I trust the RSPCA so I feel kind of alright about buying their eggs (but the whole baby chicken thing still freaks me out a little). Do you think the RSPCA eggs would be alright, cruelty-wise??
SarahC

Postby Athena » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:27 pm

I get my eggs from the egg farm down the road. I know the conditions are good there, so what are your thoughts on that?
It's times like these you learn to live again
Athena

Postby jessica86 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:35 pm

im a vegan as well, and i do understand where whoareyou is coming from. everyone has different ways at losing weight and what they eat to lose weight. i dont criticize people for eating meat eggs or dairy, but i will inform them on the facts of veganism if they ask me to.

if someone is happy to buy free range eggs or from a place they consider to be cruelty free, then thats their business, along with the people who eat meat & dairy.

alot of vegans can seem to come across as preachers, but its mainly because we get criticized so much for being vegan(i know from personal experience) from omnivores that sometimes we feel like we need to hit back at what their choices are.

i say, each to their own and good luck finding your own path to health & happiness.

<3 jess
jessica86

Return to True Stories