It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:54 am

Free Newsletter

Rude women in clothing stores

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Rude women in clothing stores

Postby sportybee » Mon May 18, 2009 11:37 pm

lilmissfatso wrote:Now, we've all seen Pretty Woman. The scene where the nasty rich women won't let poor Julia buy a dress because she looks cheap. She goes back in after her big shopping spree on Richard's dollar and utters the infamous line, "You work on commission right? Big mistake, big..huge..."

Well there is a little boutique just down the road from my work. I popped in one day a few months ago, to look for a gift for my friend's birthday. The woman met me at the door, whilst I was looking at some lovely little singlet and was told, very bluntly, "Our idea of large is size 12, we don't stock plus sizes". I'm about an 18. I called later that afternoon and made some enquires about something random, just so I could get the name of the girl who had been so rude.

One day, I am going straight back in to that store to have my Julia Roberts moment. I'm going to try on something expensive and prance around so the staff tell me how great I look. And them I am going to let them all know that I would have purchased the outfit had a particular sales assistant not gone all rodeo drive on me.

I'd done exactly the same thing! People can be so rude - its terrible. I'd definitely complain about the girls at the shop manager. :x
sportybee

Postby Riayn » Tue May 19, 2009 2:55 pm

I hate going clothes shopping. One of the worst experiences I had was trying to find some black jeans back when I was a size 18. I went to Just Jeans or Jeanswest (can't remember which) and they told me in a rather disapproving way, that they only stocked black jeans up to a size 14. They weren't happy when I told them in no uncertain terms that this fat chick wouldn't be shopping here any more.
I ended up buying men's jeans, cause it seems men's clothing is made to suit a whole range of body sizes, not just skinny. Also, men's clothing is much cheaper than women's, which I have never understood. A shirt is a shirt, there shouldn't be a $30 price difference.
Spud On The Run - A Couch Potato's Guide to Weight Loss & Fitness
Rainbow Of Chaos - The Life of a Thirtysomething Geek Girl

SW: 84.5kg
CW: 73.8kg
GW: 67kg
Riayn

Postby taralouise23 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:23 pm

i hate that!!!! grrr like they think they are better than everyone else it makes me sick, but i think i can just image that when they get home they probably have nothing in the fridge and are obsessed with there weight and if they put on half a kilo with you cant see anyways cause they are so skinny they freak and dont eat for a week what a life hey they are the most unhappy people and the rudest i very much believe in karma what you give out to the world u get back so that very rude lady at the store she will see karma and i hope she is still working there when i get to do your dance :D
taralouise23

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:57 am

I've had some good service from the weirdest most unlikely places. There's a little shop near uni called labels of europe - it's in a really upmarket area (where lawyers and doctors live etc) and by the name, you'd expect a snooty so and so. But the lady was really nice - granted I'm not the size I used to be though. I liked it cause they had trousers cut to fit my proportionately bigger thighs and bum.

I also used to always get good service from JayJays shops when I was bigger. I remember one poor lady trying desperately to find a pair that fit and looked good. I got rather upset that day. But she was lovely.

Half the time it's not even a sales thing, it's just plain old good manners! Who says that sort of thing to ANYONE regardless of if you're selling them stuff or not. If I walked up to a random stranger and said "how on earth can you think you fit in those jeans? I mean, just look at those fat rolls hanging over your belt line!" I'd fully expect to be belted one. And deserve it.

I know the feeling about surf shops though. I even wrote a letter to one brand giving them a piece of my mind when I was around 16yo. Didn't hear anything back though.

Gotta say though, the shops where the sales assistant comes over and asks if they can help you (often multiple times) give me the willies. I'd like to shop in peace thanks. But I expect someone to be around so I can get help if I need it. And on a side note there a weird trend developing in restaurants where the waiter/waitress will come over multiple times during the meal to ask if everything is ok (interrupting your conversation and expecting an answer when you're mid mouthful). That gives me the willies too. Go away and let me eat my meal dammit!I feel like a grumpy old woman.

I really hope you get the chance to have your pretty woman moment and that lady can feel all embarrassed just like you felt.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby electrongirl » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:24 pm

Butterfly_Dawn wrote:Gotta say though, the shops where the sales assistant comes over and asks if they can help you (often multiple times) give me the willies. I'd like to shop in peace thanks. But I expect someone to be around so I can get help if I need it. And on a side note there a weird trend developing in restaurants where the waiter/waitress will come over multiple times during the meal to ask if everything is ok (interrupting your conversation and expecting an answer when you're mid mouthful). That gives me the willies too. Go away and let me eat my meal dammit!I feel like a grumpy old woman.

I really hope you get the chance to have your pretty woman moment and that lady can feel all embarrassed just like you felt.

The restaurant thing happens here everywhere!!! I think its because of tipping, so they try their hardest to make you happy. I don't blame them here when they are making like $2.50 an hour!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby ThisTime » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:49 pm

I don't even go into those sort of shops now because of the 'looks'... even if they don't say anything you know they're looking at you thinking "nothing here is going to fit you love!"

My worst experience was when I was house hunting, a Real Estate agent congratulated me on my "little bundle of joy" and guessed that I must only have 4 weeks or so to go... I didn't have the heart to tell him I wasn't pregnant. That one hurt more because I was wearing a new dress and thought I looked pretty nice that day..

sadly he was about the fourth person to ask "how far along are you?" and not the last.

At a wedding I was working at, the best man asked me whether it was difficult working when I was "so far along" ... I just stared for a second :shock: then gathered my wits, smiled, nodded and ran away... (had to be nice, he was technically a client!)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wrEkuJU/]
[/url]
ThisTime

Postby DeeEm » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:56 pm

I had a very similar experience a few years ago when looking for clothes for my size 8-10 sister.
I was so shocked to be spoken to that way that I didn't really say anything and walked out. It was very upsetting.
Word of mouth is a powerful thing so I know many of my friends and family refused to shop in that store. I'm sure any small business would not be happy knowing that several people that used to shop there no longer do ;)
I think having a 'Pretty Woman' moment would be very theraputic... good idea!! hehe

I've had the pregnancy comments too.... back when I was 21-22 while I worked at a check-out. It can be quite insulting - especially when there's a stark difference between a full-term pregnant belly and a fat belly. People just don't think before they speak sometimes!!
Debbie
Start Date: 28 Mar 09
What I want to achieve:
1st Goal - 10kgs (end of May) - Reward: Wii Fit DONE
2nd Goal - 12.1kg (June 11 - DH's Birthday) - Reward: Reward enough in itself! DONE
3rd Goal - 15kgs (Aug 3 - DS's Birthday) - Reward: My Fitness Coach (Wii Fit) DONE
4th Goal - 20kgs (Mid-October for a wedding) - Reward: New clothes!
5th Goal - 30kgs (Christmas) - Reward: a digi-cam? Not sure.
DeeEm

Postby qtpie » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:39 pm

i can't beleive that people can be so rude, I would have told that woman where to go right there and then, but the pretty woman method is a lot better, good on you girl!
Stating date is 17th March 2008
SW: 91.1kg
CW: 88.1kg
GW: 68kg
Short Term Goal: 85 kg

FAILED
New starting date is 1st July 2009

Starting weight: 91.1kg
Amount of weight lost: 4.1kg
Current weigt loss: 87kg
Short term goal: 85kg
Long term goal: 68kg
qtpie

Postby Bean » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:17 pm

mum2james wrote:I find that shops like Supre have the worst staff.

SUPRE MUST DIE! LOL k so that was a little dramatic but yeah totally with you. I don't dress like their style much but I must say I'm 18 now and when my friends would go in there I felt like slapping most of the staff. :twisted:
Bean

Postby Gordz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:01 pm

Can't say this has happened to me, but I do recall quite a few years ago my gf at the time took me to some trendy shop to get some nice jeans... She got quite a few nice things for herself, but we had trouble finding things that suited me. The 30-40 yearold salesman was polite, said that he didn't think the label suited me, and reccommended a shop a couple of doors down. Was friendly and helpful, but judging from your stories I guess it could've been quite alot worse!
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Lucid87 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:48 am

Gosh i've had both the pregnancy and clothing debacles. Some people just don't think. The other thing is i know size 8-10 girls who obsess about their bodies so it's not like they should be completely witless about those sorts of comments. What disturbs me most about this is the "we consider size 12 large" Is THAT not disturbing?
Lucid87

Postby mum2james » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:13 pm

Lucid87 wrote:Gosh i've had both the pregnancy and clothing debacles. Some people just don't think. The other thing is i know size 8-10 girls who obsess about their bodies so it's not like they should be completely witless about those sorts of comments. What disturbs me most about this is the "we consider size 12 large" Is THAT not disturbing?

Yep! I find that very distrubing.
I'm curvy and a size 12 and I still get strange looks when I go into certain shops even though i'm at my goal weight and have a healthy BMI.
Obviously I won't be accepted by certain people until I have my rib/hip bones sticking out and look like i'm about to die which I find pathetic. :roll:
Stacey - 25 and mum to a beautiful 5 year old boy. :-)

Current weight: 76kg
Goal Weight: 70kg
mum2james

Postby Lucid87 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:26 pm

mum2james wrote:
Lucid87 wrote:Gosh i've had both the pregnancy and clothing debacles. Some people just don't think. The other thing is i know size 8-10 girls who obsess about their bodies so it's not like they should be completely witless about those sorts of comments. What disturbs me most about this is the "we consider size 12 large" Is THAT not disturbing?

Yep! I find that very distrubing.
I'm curvy and a size 12 and I still get strange looks when I go into certain shops even though i'm at my goal weight and have a healthy BMI.
Obviously I won't be accepted by certain people until I have my rib/hip bones sticking out and look like i'm about to die which I find pathetic. :roll:

Its things like that which people find it hard to keep their inspiration and motivation, it's like well i need to lose this many kilos for me to be happy and healty but i wont be truely accepted into that vile society until i lose enough to be considered unhealthy. You see it on here even, people whose original goals maybe have been within there healthy weight range and always said i don't want to be stick thin but then there goal slowly gets lower and lower and soon they're at an unhealthy bmi and still not satisfied. I truely hope women can move on from this mentality. Not to say that thin isn't beautiful but people shouldnt have to become carbon copies of a body that doesn't suit them you know?

sigh
end rant
Lucid87

Postby mum2james » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:41 pm

I completely agree with you. :)
Stacey - 25 and mum to a beautiful 5 year old boy. :-)

Current weight: 76kg
Goal Weight: 70kg
mum2james

Postby Mutley7147 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:42 pm

I regularly have similar experiences. I have on numerous occasions had staff look me up down with disdain. I certainly don't look like Elle McPherson but I take some pride in how I look and my grooming. How dare they give me THELOOK. It's hard enough being on the big side, without people suggesting getting some exercise might help. No one ever bothers to ask if you do, they assume you don't. I go to the gym regularly and it seems to make little difference. I do on the plus side feel well. Thinking of doing gastric ballooning. Has anyone had the procedure and what result did you get. Interested to hear anyone's thoughts. And what is the cost
Mutley7147

PreviousNext

Return to True Stories