It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:05 am

Free Newsletter

my journey "hows the bullimia going"

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

my journey "hows the bullimia going"

Postby Fatfrizzy » Thu May 07, 2009 9:31 am

When I hit 12 I gained alot of weight. My whole family was overweight. I was bullied at school because of my weight, which just makes you crave bad things even more. At that age and with no positive influences i had no idea about nutrition. By the time i finished school I weighed about 84 kilos. After about a year of uni I weighed 90 kilos. After my dad died (of heart disease) I weighed about 94 kilos. That was my highest weight. I joined a gym and really just cut back on the bad things. In about 2 years i lost just over 20 kilos, however my goal was 62. I have struggled to lose that last 10 kilos so i guess thats why I;m here today

I have had alot of positive comments about my weight loss but also negative cooments. Family memebers would make sly comments about my eating habbits or suggest I have a eating disorder. At dinner one night a male friend to me "hows the bullimia going, you could not lose that much weight with out being bullimic" Or there are the friends who comments are meant to be positive but come out all wrong: You looked so fat the last time I saw you but now you look healthy"

Anywhay my BMI is just over 23 I want it to be 21. I know im in the healthy range but i odnt feel healthy. Its a start of a new journey, or the second half :)

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/counter/w00ZO00/]
[/url]
Starting weight 76
Goal Weight 65
Current weight 76

1st goal: 72 final goal: 65
2nd goal: 68
Fatfrizzy

Re: my journey "hows the bullimia going"

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu May 07, 2009 11:23 am

Welcome to the forum, Frizzy!

Sometimes comments are cruel because people don't think about what they're saying. Other times it's because we read too much into them ("She's saying I look fantastic? Does that mean I looked like crap before???"). Other times it's because people are deliberately trying to be cruel, like in the case with the bulimia comment.

I understand that it can be hurtful and annoying, but I always feel pity for people whose only method of building themselves up is by knocking others down. If your family are all heavy then the negative comments could come from jealousy. Or maybe from denial. They desperately want to believe it's genetic and that they can't lose weight. You share the same genetics yet here you are proving that sensible eating and exercise can make you lose weight. This attacks their own sense of identity and puts responsibility for their weight back on them. They either have to accept that they're overweight through bad food choices and lack of exercise, or they can continue to believe that it's all genetic by pretending you're not losing weight in a healthy way. If they convince themselves that you are losing weight in an unhealthy manner, they can continue to fool themselves into thinking they're being healthier by staying overweight. My family does the same thing so I know of what I speak! :lol:

There's nothing wrong with wanting to get to the lower end of your healthy BMI range. People have different builds and different healthy weight points. Some people would look fine at BMI 25 but gaunt at BMI 21. Others would feel overweight at 25 but would feel brilliant at 20. It comes down to the individual. I'm hoping to eventually get to my lower BMI range because my family has a history of joint problems. But given how hard it's been to shift these last few kilos to get to BMI 25 I don't know how long that will take! :lol:

Congratulations on your weight loss so far, and good luck with the next stage of your weight loss journey!

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Fatfrizzy » Thu May 07, 2009 2:22 pm

Thanks for the helpful advise and encouragement :)
Starting weight 76
Goal Weight 65
Current weight 76

Fatfrizzy

Postby kristal » Mon May 11, 2009 11:07 am

I agree with the above - the only way somebody could say something so un-intelligent about your weight loss is due to lack of education on weight loss, jealousy and the need to knock others to make themselves feel better.

Unfortunately the only way of handling these comments is to ignore them.

You are doing fantastically well and congratulations on the weight loss so far - good luck with the last 10kgs, I am sure you can do it.
SW - 71 kg
CW - 65 kg
GW - 58 kg
Weight Loss so Far = 6kgs
Weight to go = 7kgs
kristal

Postby Riayn » Wed May 20, 2009 5:20 pm

What horrible things to say to you when you have worked so hard to start eating healthy, exercising and losing weight. I guess it is just plain jealousy. It would have been great for your family to be inspired by your accomplishments and begin their own weight loss journey. Who knows maybe one day they will.
Until then, keep working hard at keeping yourself healthy (and gorgeous) for your own self-esteem. I bet that you are feeling so much better about yourself now, then you did when you were overweight. I know I do.
Spud On The Run - A Couch Potato's Guide to Weight Loss & Fitness
Rainbow Of Chaos - The Life of a Thirtysomething Geek Girl

SW: 84.5kg
CW: 73.8kg
GW: 67kg
Riayn

Postby Runner » Fri May 22, 2009 5:27 pm

I've had a similar experince, I had lost about 6Kgs and my 'potentail' mother in law was all prasie about how well i had done and how much better i looked. I was so happy people could notice the effort i had put in. Then the next day when my fiance came home he told me how she was worried i had aneroxia and that i hadn't been eating right and asked if i had been skipping meals. It got me so angry. Why does weightloss always equal an eating disorder? I Had been exercisng regularly and eating well. Thats all.
Runner

Postby Amethyst » Sat May 23, 2009 2:12 pm

At least she seemed concerned Runner. Though perhaps she should have asked you not your fiance. What I get from FatFrizzy's post is that they're just putting her down. It does suck that weight loss seems to be associated with eating disorders and general unhealthyness
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wx5Tquf/]
[/url]
Amethyst

Postby Fatfrizzy » Mon May 25, 2009 4:30 pm

Thanks again for the support. It does seem so unfair to me that you work hard and do something positive for yourself and you receive negative comments. But I will do my best to ignore them!
Starting weight 76
Goal Weight 65
Current weight 76

Fatfrizzy

Postby fi_112 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:35 pm

I have had similar difficulty. A few months ago my best friend was saying to me "Don't lose any more weight, you'll get too skinny" and "you do too much exercise" (I work out six days a week for 45 mins - 1.5 hrs). I've gone on to lose more weight and now she's saying "wow u look great".. thére's obviously a battle between jealousy and support with a lot of people
To wish you were someone else is to waste the person you are
fi_112

Postby sweet-tooth » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:39 pm

First of all, Congratulations for becoming a healthy and happy person!

I know it is even more difficult to lose weight when the rest of your family are big people! I have experienced it too.

What annoys me about family is that they are very judgmental about a person's progress. The comments in my family are similar, as in 'make sure you don't take the weight loss too far'

These comments make me feel as though i am doing a bad thing by making a choice to be a healthier and weight conscious person.

Ahh well, at least we can hold our heads up high and know that we are the ones who are healthy in body and mind!
sweet-tooth

Postby ThisTime » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:56 pm

Congrats on the weight loss so far!! Try to ignore the ignorant people, it's most likely just jealousy. Just say "Thank you, yes, I am proud of my weight loss achievements"

Speaking of comments... one day I worked out that the new girl at my office and I knew each other from many years ago, when I explained to her who I was she said in a loud voice in front of everyone.. "you're Fay? WOW, you used to be THIN!!!!"

and then a second later... "Oh.. sh*t... oops.. sorry.. I meant... err... thinnER... you know..."

Lucky I was able to laugh my way out of that one..
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wrEkuJU/]
[/url]
ThisTime

Return to True Stories