It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:12 pm

Free Newsletter

weight loss journey - martini85

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

weight loss journey - martini85

Postby martini85 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:08 am

Hello!
So I joined this forum yesterday, and posted some before / current pictures.. and have become obsessed with reading about everyone's stories and decided to write my own. Apologies if it's too long!

I've been overweight my whole life, pretty much since primary school. I remember when I was 12, we had to do something at school and get on a scale, and I was over 70kg... in grade 7 :shock: In high school I just kept putting on weight, and started to develop bad eating habits. I would walk to the shops on my way home from the bus stop, just to get a packet of chips, chocolate, bakery food, whatever!! Then in grade 12, I dropped a couple of K's for my formal.. I think I was about 110kg at that point... at 17 years old.. yikes that's scary.

After high school, I moved out of home and in with my first boyfriend, who I stayed with for over 5 years, but slowly got more and more depressed, which I think then just made me eat more and more to make myself feel better.. I never weighed myself, but the highest weight I ever saw was 135kg when I went to give blood.
After we broke up, I moved back home and stayed around the same weight, maybe lost 5kg or so from eating healthier and being happier etc, but I still had the really bad habits of eating too much junk and having way too much food at meal times.

The next chapter of my story lead me into a blooming internet romance with a charming American.. many months later... what did I do? Got on a plane to LA! (Much to my Mum's horror - AMANDA he could be a serial killer!) I guess he could have been actually... haha, but this is where my life really did a 180.. He was following the Atkins diet at the time, so I decided that I would follow it too, while we road tripped around the USA together. (During this crazy road trip, he proposed, and 2 months later we were married.. again to the horror of my mother... I gave her so many gray hairs that year)

We met on 23rd March, 07 and got married on 9th June 07, and by our wedding day I think I weighed about 118kg. Then we moved back to Australia together, and just kept doing the low-carb, no sugar diet.. we didn't even exercise very much (at all) and the weight slowly came off. By Feb 2008 I got down to my lowest weight of about 88kg, and then started getting a little too comfortable and started adding in things I shouldn't have, chocolate here, burger there, etc until about 6 months later I realised I had gained 10kg back and was at 98kg again! Noooo!

Changed back to strict dieting (still no exercise) and lost the 10kg in about 4 months. At the start of 2009, we both decided this was the year we would hit our goal weight. So we wrote out a 2 week meal plan, counted carbs and calories and just rotated the same meals every 2 weeks. We also started walking every night for 50 mins. From 1st Jan, I was at 88kg and now the start of June, I am sitting on 70kg. I can't believe what a difference the walking has made!
It's formed such a part of my life now, If I skip a day of exercise I feel so lazy! In March, I also started doing 20mins of yoga exercises first thing every morning before I have breakfast.

At 70kg, my biggest challenge now is to lose my final 7kg, putting me at my goal weight and healthy BMI of 63kg. I have a little bit of loose skin, due to the amount of weight I have lost, but the exercise has really helped with that.. Sorry to say, my least favourite area is my chest.. But my exciting reward for getting so close to my goal is that in 2 weeks I am getting breast augmentation surgery! 18th June - no more saggy weight-loss boobies!

That's me so far, hope it wasn't too long winded! I wish everyone the best of luck on their journey to a happier, healthier life!
- Amanda
Start date: 1.4.2007
Start weight: 135kg (300lbs)
Current weight: 70kg (154lbs)
Goal weight: 63kg (138lbs)

martini85 - Amanda
martini85

Re: weight loss journey - martini85

Postby court » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:08 pm

Wow what a story!!!!!
That is a great story and I enjoyed reading it! So do you still follow Atkins? What is a normal days eating/exercise for you?
Wow boobie surgery! Are you excited? I have only lost around 10kgs and have another 5 or so to go but I have noticed a difference there (dropped two sizes)!!! :roll: Can I ask how old you are now? I got something like 28 or so from your post?
Court
court

Postby martini85 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:29 pm

We both still follow the Atkins diet, I still do 20mins of yoga in the morning, and 50 min walk every night, and generally my diet each day is 1 strip of bacon and 1 egg for breakfast, and sometimes a coffee, small handful of macadamia nuts for snack in the morning, salad / leftover dinner for lunch, piece of cheese in the afternoon and then for dinner we might have beef stir fry, chicken and steamed veg or sometimes vegetable fritata, or portabello mushroom pizzas etc..
We eat really simple, but tasty meals but just keep the ingredients very basic and low in carbs / calories.

I'm actually 24, in August.. the time frame make it sound like I'm older I guess, but I met my husband in 2007, I was 22 and we've been married almost 2 years now. I'm SO excited about the surgery, but really nervous too!
Isn't it cool how the closer you get to your goal, the less weight it takes for you to actually drop sizes, I'm loving it!!!
Good luck with the rest of your weight loss :D

martini85 - Amanda
martini85

Postby longy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:32 pm

Hey Amanda- thanks for putting so much effort into that story! What a great adventure- well done on your weight loss so far!!!

I'm really interested in your boobie surgery too! Please let us know how it goes!!! I've been thinking about it for a while, but only know people with implants, no one has had them simply put back where they're meant to be! :lol:

I hope you find this place as great as I have!
Longy x
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wMpdEJU/]
[/url]
longy

Postby court » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:34 pm

so atkins principles are based around no carb? So like breads cereals etc but you can eat veges? Good that it has worked so well for you! :D Yeah I havent actually thought about doing it - but have thought about it lately! I dont want anything implanted but would be interested to hear about the process! :roll:
court

Postby martini85 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:38 pm

Yeah basically all meats, vegetables (except potato, sweet potato and pumpkin) cheeses, eggs, nuts. High protein, moderate amount of fats, and make sure to eat vegies every day, and take multi-vitamins as well. No breads, pasta, rice, fruit, sugar at all..
It sounds strict, and it is, but once you train your body to start burning mostly just fat and protein, you learn to love it.
It helps that I'm pretty much a carnivore anyway and absolutely love meat.. lol

I will post on here after my surgery to let you know how it went :)

martini85 - Amanda
martini85

Postby court » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:42 pm

all the best and good luck with it! :D and congrats ont he weight loss you have almost lost HALF of yourself! :shock: :D
court

Postby martini85 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:43 pm

longy wrote: I'm really interested in your boobie surgery too! Please let us know how it goes!!! I've been thinking about it for a while, but only know people with implants, no one has had them simply put back where they're meant to be! :lol:

Hey longy!
I am getting implants, but am also having a breast lift at the same time, because I have lost elasticity and tissue, so they are droopy and need to be lifted. I will definitely update this post once I've had it done, and I can post before / after pics too.

:D

martini85 - Amanda
martini85

Postby martini85 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:46 pm

my pictures of before / current weight loss are in this section of the forum :)

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18237

martini85 - Amanda
martini85

Postby alisvolatpropriis » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:23 pm

Wow what a story Amanda!!!

Congrats on your loss so far and good luck with the boobage surgery =)
SW: 70kg
CW: 69.9kg
Goal 1: 65kg
Goal 2: 60kg
Ultimate Goal: 55kg
alisvolatpropriis

Return to True Stories