It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:20 pm

Free Newsletter

Rude GPs (no offence Mandy)

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Rude GPs (no offence Mandy)

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:05 pm

Thought I would post this in case anyone else has had a similar experience. It was a while ago and I'm over it now, but it wasn't good at the time.

I hurt my back about 4? months ago now, long story short it went 'twang' while riding my bike and I couldn't walk straight. So, like the dutiful patient I pretend to be, I went along to my GP. The only guy available was a locum in from interstate. I entered the room, he fiddled around with the computer and I waited for him to get himself sorted. Then he looked at me and said "Well??" as if I should have been in and out by then. So I said "I've hurt my back". The following transcript is a pretty good, but probably not entirely verbatim account:

Him: "Oh is that why you're walking like that" (no censored sherlock)
Me: "ha ha, yeah, you noticed."
Him: "have you been lifting something heavy?"
Me: "no, it went while I was riding my bike..."
Him: "Have you been doing any twisting movements?"
Me: "No..."
Him: "Have you been doing anything unusual?"
Me: "No...:
Him: "Nothing unusual at all, like, vaccuming, gardening..."
Me: "I did some gardening the other weekend"
Him: "Ah, that's it then. I don't think it had anything to do with your bike. You're overweight, you're unfit and you've gone out and been digging in the garden. You've just pulled a muscle. My advice is to find yourself a good deep muscle masseur who can deal with a solid lass like yourself, wait till the pain subsides and then get a gym membership and get a proper fitness regime so you get fit and lose that weight" (that's the most verbatim so far... and there's not much exaggeration in that. :shock: he hadn't examined me, and no questions about my fitness or exercise levels)
Me: I was cycling 2 hours a day before I hurt myself.. and I'm seeing a physio this arvo"
Him "mmm, I wouldn't bother with a physio. They'll just give you a bit of a rub, put some vibrator thing on you and leave you there for an hour. Waste of money. Here's a referral for a local masseur who can deal with you, and some painkillers".

I kid you not. I was devastated. I went out and burst into tears, and I'm actually fairly comfortable with myself. If I'd been someone with a serious body image problem, I don't know what would have happened. As it was, I think only the fact that I was in pain saved him from getting a very serious and pointed piece of my mind. I ended up just making the conscious decision that this guy wasn't listening, and there was no point arguing, so I just did the yes-sir no-sir routine and got the hell out of there.

The physio was brilliant, proving him wrong on that point. She had the whole thing sussed and gave me some exercises that started relieving the problem straight away and I'm still improving (turns out a pre-existing muscular injury in the right hand side lower back led to my pelvis being destabilised which was the presenting problem at the time - We're working on that now.)

So the moral of this story is that there are some "professionals" out there who can be very unprofessional and uncaring. Don't let them get to you. This guy had no idea, did not respect me as a person or as an expert on my experience - nothing he said rang true with what I was experiencing - he had it very very wrong. If you don't feel a GP (or anyone else) is listening to you, make sure you get a second, third, fourth, fifth opinion until someone actually LISTENS (although sometimes the answer they give you isn't what you wanted).

And I make sure I never go to that guy again. If I end up walking into the room with him I will walk straight out. No questions asked. And hopefully in future I'll have the presence of mind to call any doctor who does that to me again.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Re: Rude GP's (no offence Mandy)

Postby DeeEm » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:15 pm

My goodness.... that is beyond rude. That's abhorent!! I've had my fair-share of run-ins with doctors (to the point where I had my 2nd child at a hospital an hour away rather than the local one!) but he at least disguised his disgust for me under some big words and medical jargon. This dude was just, plain nasty to you!! Doctor or not, no one should ever speak to another human being that way - especially when you're in the vulnrable position and in pain. He's definitely not worth getting upset about - and, you're right, I feel sorry for those people he sees that do have self-image problems.
I've had GP's point out that I'm overweight like it's some kind of revealation... I was so annoyed by one female GP that I resorted to sarcasm in response; "Oh really? Well I'd better cancel the modelling shoot I have set up for this afternoon". Seriously, we're not morons. Being overweight doesn't mean we don't have a brain - and we have feelings too.
Thankfully I've also seen wonderful, caring and supportive GP's and doctors that do listen and do treat you with respect. They go that extra mile and you can tell they enjoy their work. Obviously your physio fits into that category. Good on her for doing her job and being great at it. Obviously she could teach that doctor a thing or two about treating the 'person' rather than just the symptoms!
Debbie
Start Date: 28 Mar 09
What I want to achieve:
1st Goal - 10kgs (end of May) - Reward: Wii Fit DONE
2nd Goal - 12.1kg (June 11 - DH's Birthday) - Reward: Reward enough in itself! DONE
3rd Goal - 15kgs (Aug 3 - DS's Birthday) - Reward: My Fitness Coach (Wii Fit) DONE
4th Goal - 20kgs (Mid-October for a wedding) - Reward: New clothes!
5th Goal - 30kgs (Christmas) - Reward: a digi-cam? Not sure.
DeeEm

Re: Rude GPs (no offence Mandy)

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:26 pm

Spot on. Would have loved to be in the room when you said that to your doc... cancel your modeling shoot - good call. I'm doing my clinical psychology training at the moment and could tick off every rapport building no-no in the book within the 5mins of that consult.

And it's not hard to do it tactfully. A couple of months earlier I'd done the original injury and went to a different GP - he asked if I'd gained any weight recently, which I had but he was genuine and respectful about it. And he actually EXAMINED me and gave me some exercises to help (should have gone to the physio then and maybe I wouldn't have had the second one). Heaven forbid this guy would actually have to TOUCH my flubbery "solid" body :lol:

And not to mention the fact that every chance he got he would refer to the fact that he was from interstate. Like being fat wasn't bad enough. I also had to be a fat TASMANIAN!!! The horror! :roll: :lol: At least I had this wonderful doctor from a high and mighty state deigning to apply his superior intellect to my problems. :lol:

There is a word for people like this, but it shouldn't be used in polite company :wink:

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby onthedecrease » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:19 pm

I've had my fair share of horror doctor stories in my time the top three that come to mind are;

1. went to see a local doctor with a sore throat, cold smptoms he didnt bother to examine me and decided I had tonsilitus- funny story I had my tonsils removed a few years earlier!

2. During year seven I felt severly run down and very ill you get the picture and went to the doctor a number of times the final time he agreed to do blood tests not before informing me and my mum that I was only faking it to get out of p.e- funny enough when the blood tests came back mum got a phone call at about 7.30 at night to let us know I actually had glandular fever, ended up missing three months of school as I was so ill

3. during year 12 i was diagnosed with rsi in my hand and the doctors solution was to write less- this was 3weeks before exams and he told me that i cant have been doing very good essays if i had to write so much.

I now pretty much refuse to go to doctors unless its an absolute emergency
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvgjwLj/]
[/url]
onthedecrease

Postby Mandie » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:55 pm

Not offended Tegan, any more than you would be to hear about rude psychs I imagine!

I know there are some crappy doctors out there - I've seen more than my fair share of them!

Please please.. don't give up! There ARE good ones - you just have to keep looking! Word of mouth is the best thing... find out where your friends/family go, and team up to give the GOOD doctors all the business.. eventually the bad ones will be poor enough to realise they are doing something wrong and maybe then they will improve!
Mandie

Postby yoyogirl88 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:32 pm

I had a doc do something similar a few months back, just before I was diagnosed with a deformed vertebrae in my neck. He told me it was just the muscle not used to being worked so hard because I was overweight, I was a freaking housekeeper, it was used EVERYDAY!!! I was fit enough, I just ate too much and put on a lot of weight!!
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby yoyogirl88 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:32 pm

Make that a year or so back :P
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby Julz » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:15 pm

I've had some shockers, the first one that comes to memory is one of the doctors that I went to see for a post pregnancy check up. He asked me what the problem was I said I was there for post pregnancy check up, with my newborn baby in my arms he said 'When are you due". I mean I know I was big, but come on surely the newborn baby in my arms is a dead giveaway I had given birth lol.

Another time I had been really bleeding quite badly, for over 2 weeks the dr was an absolute pig of a man, taking notes he wrote 'WELL OBESE' in rather large writing, he had to do an internal, seemed repulsed by my fatness and said 'where is your vagina?' He told me I probably had an early miscarriage and sent me for ultrasound. That was just a random dr at a medical centre I saw because I was really concerned I was going to bleed to death over the weekend.

When I fell pregnant with my daughter I was 20 and went to see another random medical centre doctor, he wasn't too bad, a young fella he asked me if the pregnancy was planned, I said 'no' he said 'oh well censored happens'. I wasn't offended just shocked to hear a doctor say this lol.

I had a family doctor all my family see and I was seinng since I was a kid but hes always too busy you can never get an appointment when you need it. I hate seeing doctors and I have to be just about dying to see one. The last couple of doctors I have seen have been wonderful though, I have been going to my husbands doctors practice and they have newly qualified doctors straight out of uni that spend 6 months or so at the surgery before moving on elsewhere both have been brilliant, I just hate it when they leave.
Julz

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:48 am

Mandie wrote:Not offended Tegan, any more than you would be to hear about rude psychs I imagine!

and I bet there are a few of them around too :wink:

And my goodness there are some shockers of stories (and doctors) atround... how is it that these people are still practicing???? If I said anything like these things to any of my clients I would fully expect a complaint to the Psych reg board and have to explain myself.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby qwerty1 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:40 pm

Sorry, but I don't see too much wrong with what he said.
qwerty1

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi qwerty1, welcome to the forum!
You're entitled to your opinion... my objection was pretty well based on the folowing:

He didn't physically examine me (for all he knew I may well have had a herniated disc)
He didn't ask any questions about my exercise levels or fitness before making a judgement about it (I have the feeling he made that decision based on my dress on the day - baggy trackies and jumper)
He ignored my experience that I felt the injury happen when I was riding my bike
My feeling was that there was no respect for me as a patient - I firmly believe that patients and clients should be respected, even if they are doing things that you know to be disadvantgeous for them.
The implication that the only way it is possible to lose weight and get fit is to join a gym - entirely untrue I lost 35kg without so much as steping into a gym
The lack of respect for other professionalsn - Fair enough if he's not into physios, but that needs to be explained with respect not derision

And for the record, I have NO problem with doctors pointing out that I still need to lose a few kg's and that weight can contribute to a whole raft of medical problems. This is absolutely true and one of the reasons I lost so much weight in the first place. That is a doctor's JOB. And I've had doctors say things along those lines previously and not had a problem with that. However the approach you take to adressing these issues is very very important. And I think this guy got it wrong.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby qwerty1 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:09 am

Thank you for the welcome.

I see where you're coming from a bit more now. Personally I wouldn't have gotten so upset but I understand how you could. Maybe it's a guy/girl thing...

Thank you again...you lost 35kg!!(or more now?)?? congratulations! That's my target to lose at the moment. :)
qwerty1

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:33 pm

Hi qwerty1,
Well as I said, it wasn't so much the insinuation that my problems were weight related, but the way he arrived at that conclusion and how he presented it. It may well be a guy/girl thing, and maybe also related to personal differences :)

I lost 35kg (was originally aiming for 40kg, but I don't know now if that was realistic actually, you can look at my progress pics if you like), and put 10 back on, so I'm now trying to lose those 10 again. Good luck with your goals!

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby qwerty1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:55 am

Yeah, I understand. :)

Congratulations! Sorry to hear you put ten back on. I lost about 30kg 3/4 years ago and have put almost all of it back on. Let that be a warning lol.
qwerty1

Postby qwerty1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:02 am

...and I just saw your before/after pics. You look great! Congratulations again.
qwerty1

Return to True Stories