It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:50 am

Free Newsletter

Duromine. A diary.

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Duromine. A diary.

Postby Makenzmeet » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:40 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here too. It is now just before 6am and I have been up since 1.30am reading all 30+ pages of this site. Yup, I am on day three of Duramine and am suffering from the sleepless symptom which was promised to me. I have always been a bad sleeper so no surprises I got that one...

I am 40 years old 158cms and the doctor weighed me at 89 horrible horrible kilos. I have been "pleasantly plump" all my adult life probably ranging in the 60kg's in my 20's up to the early 80kg's for the last 10 years. Could not possibly let myself get into the 90kg's. No no no. So, I actually went to My Dr to ask for Reductil, which I had tried five years ago with small weight loss success...although that one made me really sleepy! My doctor recommended I try Duromine and so I got a second mortgage on the house : ) and took my script off to the chemist. Then when I got home I started reading all these terrible things about it and almost considered taking it back. I talked to my husband about it as I am worried I am going to be even more of a bi*atch than usual to him or my 3 girls (7,8 and 13) and he has promised to burn them if that happens (the pills - not the kids!!).

So back to the "journey" so far. Day 1: I almost immediately felt amaaaazing. Possibly for the first time in my life I knew what it felt like to be a "normal" person. And by that I mean not one that is constantly longing for, planning in intimate detail, and dreaming about, their next meal. Sometimes in my life I would go to bed early because I would be so looking forward to what I was going to have for brekky! And I am not an emotional eater (I don't think so anyway!), very happily married, mostly stressless life etc etc. Oooh I degress again: Back to day one: I found that my belly rumbled to signify "you might want to eat something when you get a minute, Dear" rather than the usual "Stop what your doing and feed me now now NOW!" that my mind has been doing every couple of hours of every day for the last 20 years. Oh and I'm definitely feeling kinda happy allll day. And those things I have been "watching" for years on eBay. Just got the impulse to go buy all of them. That's a side effect I hadn't read about before but I am definitely blaming that one on the pills when hubby finds out. : )

Day 2. MMMmmmmm not quite as good. Had one hour sleep due to the pills no doubt and my 7 year old having a vomitting virus she wanted to share with me all night. So felt a bit foggy all day. Have been taking just one panadol every now and then so the niggle doesn't turn into a roaring headache. Definitely appetite still down. Eating 3 or four small meals just to keep the ol' metabolism burning.

Day 3. Has only just begun. Well actually it began at 1.30 this morning : ). Now it is 6 and kids are about to get up for Saturday, otherwise known as "the day we dedicate to children's netball". Usually I am slave to the sausage sizzle queue, but even the thought of that does not appeal to me at present, so we'll see how we go.

Am going back to the dr in two weeks and will not weigh myself until then. Would love to keep updating here for anyone who is interested. Only day 3 so I'm hardly an authority but from some of the info on the net I thought my head might have spun off by now. Far from it. xx
Makenzmeet

Re: Duromine. A diary.

Postby Makenzmeet » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:50 am

Day 3 went well. Felt a little bit "foggy" but I think that may have been because of having only about 4 hours sleep in the last two days. Seemed to pep up in the afternoon and last night was truly perky. I am noticing that I am super cheerful, my 13 year old keeps giving me sideways looks. I'm always pretty chipper but I'm a bit more "happy" about stuff that usually annoys me like when she doesn't empty the dishwasher (her *only* job!) and I say... Don't worry Darls mum'll do it. Very odd....should be wary of lowering the bar on parenting here. Don't want to set myself up for any problems in the future when I aint feelin' so forgiving.
So....yesterday I avoided the queue at the sausage sizzle. Not hard at all actually. I smelt it and it smelt the usual fried bacon and onions - aka what ecstasy smells like - and my tum even grumbled a bit. But my mind said "Nup not interested." Wow - is this how thin people feel??
I am still eating three small meals and having fruit, which, by the way, is DELICIOUS. Had this mangey old green apple that I normally would turn my nose at, and it was yum! Does Duromine give you enhanced taste I wonder?
Last night I slept a lot better. Went to bed at 9.30 and woke up at 4.30...still early but much better than the previous nights. Took my pill. It is now almost 8 and even though I don't want to I am off to have some brekky. Ta ra!
Makenzmeet

Postby Makenzmeet » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:16 pm

Day 4 and 5.
Yesterday I raked up the yard and chopped up wood for burning pretty much all day. I have to say unlike some I don't feel like going for any 10km (or 10m!) runs, but I think I do have a bit of spring in my step. I am definitely starting to feel more hungry, and every now and then that hungriness creeps into my head and makes a bit of noise. The difference is that an orange totally satisfies me whereas without the Duromine an orange would be a fleeting fancy given over by my one true love: The humble Kit Kat. The fact that I have not had, nor thought much about, one of those now for 5 days is a true testomony to Duromines abilities.
Last night I slept better than I have for the last 5 days. Went to bed about 10, got up at 5.30 this morning. So hopefully I have seen the worst of the insomnia.
Today has been a good day. There is no fog at all today, but at the same time I think I am feeling a little bit hungrier every day so maybe this is wearing off (please no!). But I am existing on about 800 - 1000 calories a day so the old me would have been climbing the walls by now. When I go for my big "weigh in" on the 30th July I might ask her for the 40mg strength if I feel the effects wearing off further.
Makenzmeet

Postby Makenzmeet » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:09 pm

Day 6 & 7.

Still going great-guns. Night before last my legs felt a tiny bit jumpy. Like they needed a good stretch. So I got up and stretched them and then they were fine. Only other symptoms at the mo is a dry mouth. I am drinking about 3 litres water, slowly, per day and that's fixing that problem fine. Fogginess has gone completely and I am sleeping well.
Food wise I am still finding I have only a small appetite and the very smallest amount of food is extremely satisfying. A cuppa tea with a sugar in it is like a big fat piece of cheesecake - yummo and fills me right up! Still having my small meals and a piece of fruit at morning and afternoon tea.
I would say I am definitely a bit less euphoric than I was in the first few days. Not that cranky-me has come back completely but I would estimate 80% of her has moved back in. Kids still looking at me warily...awaiting her return......
Other small thing I have noticed is that (we have a lot of stairs in our house and) sometimes I find myself skipping up them! And I'm not even in a hurry! : ) maybe that's going to be my body's version of the exercising bug that other people get on Duromine. I do do a lot of vacuuming at odd hours but cranky-me always did that anyway. Just with more swearing. Ta-ra!
Makenzmeet

Postby Makenzmeet » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:33 pm

Day 8 & 9.

The fog is back today....not sure why I am doing everything routinely as before and I had a reasonable 6.5 hours sleep last night. Feeling a bit light headed. Could be because of the weight loss. Only just over a week in and even though I am eating quite regularly and exercise limited to my normal daily activities, I keep having to jack my pants up, so that's a good sign. Won't know how much I've lost officially until weigh in at the doctors office next Friday. Definitely not as chipper today but I think that is because of the fog.I did scrub my bathroom to within an inch of it's life this morning and this afternoon I found myself wiping down the front door frame. Mmmmm. Other side effects are a weirdly sunburned look on my face...kind of red nose and cheeks like I've either been somewhere very hot or very cold. Other thing to note is yesterday and this morning I was a little "backed up". That's unusual for me I am always regular, and I am eating quite a bit of fruit, so it must be the Duromine. I bought some Benefiber which I added to my tea last night and this morning, so I'll see if that helps tomorrow. Ta-ra!
Makenzmeet

Postby Makenzmeet » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:02 pm

Day 10 & 11
Weekend away with the girls...........ooooh what to do what to do. On Saturday morning I debated whether or not to ake my pill as I was sure there would be wine involved. So....I decided not to take it. Within a few hours of Saturday I noticed that my pesky brain switched straight back on and told me to "eat everything". I ignored it because I knew it was only two days, but it was a good introduction to what I might be up against once I come off the Duromine. Interestingly, I still had the dry mouth both Saturday and Sunday. Took my pill again this morning and so am back to feeling much less hungry and able to continue the diet without those nasty urges. I know they haven't found what it is yet: but food for me is definitely like heroin to a junky. That voice just will not be quiet, I am definitely an addict. Now that I am experiencing what it is like for slim people to only feel hungry in their belly and not in their brain, I realise that overeating can really be from something other than a lack of will power. It's an addiction. Bugger.
Makenzmeet

Postby lalalaaa » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:15 pm

Hi Makenzmeet,
Just reading through your interesting diary, you seem to be in a good mindset.
Good luck with your weightloss journey
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wNncKpV/]
[/url]
lalalaaa

Postby Gordz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:37 pm

just how expensive IS this stuff if i may ask?
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby SamBo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:05 am

It cost me $95 for 1 month's worth of the 30mg. Not sure if the price varies on the strength of the pills. So it's pretty expensive, but it could be worse
30 year old male
100.1kg start weight 12/07/2010
89.8kg current weight 11/11/2010

90kg mini goal - Achieved 11/11/2010
85kg mini-mini goal
80kg main goal - Hopefully before Summer starts
SamBo

Postby Gordz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:29 pm

still cheaper than beer for a month!
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Makenzmeet » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Day 12 & 13.
1st weigh in tomorrow.....I'm pretty nervous. I would like to see at least a 4 kilo loss. I think my clothes are a bit looser and I am eating around 800 - 1000 calories /day, but wouldn't it be horrible if I've lost only 2 kilos - or none! Thinking about my body this morning ... I really can deal with everything about it except my big old wobbly belly. Hangs down like granny's old handbag and just is the ugliest thing. If I didn't have that I would consider myself voluptuous. Had a spray tan once and felt like Kate Ceberano for the week. White fat is so much uglier than brown fat, sigh.
I think my body is completely used to the Duromine. I am sleeping OK. My personality is still me (my biggest fear was it changing). Am not so nice all the time as I was in the start, but not horrible either. I think my energy levels are great for the calorie intake I am not feeling shakey or weakened at all. Not running any marathins either. Dry mouth is still there, tempered by many litres of water sipped over the day, surpassed by even more trips to the loo. So I guess it is doing its job.
The Duromine cost me $104 at my local chemist. I sent the receipt in to my health fund and was surprised to get $71.65 popped back into my bank account. Thanks CBHS!
Makenzmeet

Postby Makenzmeet » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:30 pm

Day 15
5.5 KILOS!!!! WOO HOO! So happy! I skipped out of that doctors office and almost straight into a friend, who - as if on cue - asked me had I lost weight. I almost kissed her!
It really is because of the Duromine. Any other diet I lose 3kgs and then gain 5. I am not even thinking about giving up. Not thinking about food at all. Wow there's so much out there once you let go of food as an obsession.
My doctor has said I should take the 30mg dose for three months, and then switch down to 15mg for another three months as I wean myself. She took my blood pressure, which was fine, and my bloods which I will get the results for in two weeks. I have agreed to see her fortnightly for the next two visits and then monthly for the duration of the six months. We talked about the side effects, which for me is the dry mouth, a bit of constipation (no longer) and some degree of wakefulness. The other thing worth mentioning is my skin is glowing. Well, not really glowing but super-smooth and not at all pimply or oily. Not that I ever had a lot of pimples but I guess my skin was just kind of "rougher". Dr thinks because of the improved diet.

Take THAT Kit Kat!

I am one happy 84.5kg woman. :D
Makenzmeet

Postby Makenzmeet » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:32 pm

Wait! I meant 83.5kg woman....84.5....that was soooooo yesterday. Ta-ra!
Makenzmeet

Postby nonijuice » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:10 am

Gordz wrote:just how expensive IS this stuff if i may ask?

I was supposed to ask that same question. Also, do you get it over the counter?
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising link removed
nonijuice

Postby SamBo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:53 pm

nonijuice wrote:
Gordz wrote:just how expensive IS this stuff if i may ask?

I was supposed to ask that same question. Also, do you get it over the counter?

It is prescription only
30 year old male
100.1kg start weight 12/07/2010
89.8kg current weight 11/11/2010

90kg mini goal - Achieved 11/11/2010
85kg mini-mini goal
80kg main goal - Hopefully before Summer starts
SamBo

Next

Return to True Stories