It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:30 am

Free Newsletter

Duromine. A diary.

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Duromine. A diary.

Postby bne25 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:17 pm

Hi Makenzmeet

Love reading your story! keep up the diary!

Makenzmeet wrote:Day 15
Wow there's so much out there once you let go of food as an obsession.

This is really how I feel! currently the days are defined due to the food I eat because I know longer feel confident enough to go out. I'm looking forward to leaving behind this unhealthy reliance!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRWkmyv/]
[/url]
bne25

Postby Makenzmeet » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:16 am

Day 19.
Still loving this stuff. I wish I had found it years ago. Here is a situation I was thinking about this morning:

My best friend has cancer. I spend a lot of every day with her. Recently she has had to start taking steroids as part of her treatment. The steroids make her very hungry, which is a good thing, because she is painfully thin. But this story isn't about her. It's about Tim Tams. On the weekend, in a bid to take advantage of her new-found appetite, her husband went out and bought ALL the flavours of Tim Tams. All of them! Then he poured them out on a platter on the table like some kind of offering to the Gods. 'Twas truly a thing of beauty. So we sat at the table and even though I could see them, smell them, and imagine their gorgeous textures in my mouth ... I didn't want to eat them. But I was myself in every other way! I laughed I talked I cried I made dirty jokes and dirtier noises. But that little part that is such an integral part of my personality - my enormous appetite - has been neatly turned off. Without any alteration to any of my other parts! Amazing! Finally curiosity got the better of me, so I ate one ... just to see. And it was certainly worthwhile... tasted fantastic, crunchy and smooth in all the right places. When I had finished it, it had served it's purpose and I was happy to sit by that platter the rest of the day ignoring it. I have always stared at wonder at the mums that go to the birthday parties and say "no thank you" to a piece of the cake. Or the people who stop after having one chippy. That has never been me. There is something inside me that urges me to eat ALL the chippies EVERY time. And often I could go another packet and it is only careful shopping or etiquette in front of the people I am with that stops me.

On the Duromine I immediately stopped experiencing all of that. I am wary of the appetite demons coming back, but I am pushing those thoughts away until I get closer to my goal. Just really enjoying this ride until then, and I encourage anyone else like me to ignore the scarey posts re Duromine on the net and just give it a try. I understand it doesn't work for everyone, but I am thanking my stars I didn't take it back. I think I am enjoying the experience feeling normal as much as the weight loss.

Ta-ra!
Makenzmeet

Postby SamBo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:17 am

I completely understand what you're saying about the appetite thing. I too would be one to keep going back for more chips or more biscuits etc. Now I barely even want to have 1. It's like I now eat because i know I need to, not because I want to taste all those amazing tastes in my mouth. Makes you wonder just how much money all the fast food places etc put into researching which ingredients and chemicals create that sensation for people to make them want more.
I'd like to think that my will power and detirmination to lose weight is the main reason for this change, but I know the duromine is playing a major roll.
And I agree, there are some really horrible stories out there about the drug. Personally I haven't found it to be that bad at all. My weight isn't falling off as fast as some other people's, but it's still happening.

Thanks for making this diary Makenzmeet, I find it to be really interesting to see how others handle this drug, especially since you and I started it at roughly the same time.
30 year old male
100.1kg start weight 12/07/2010
89.8kg current weight 11/11/2010

90kg mini goal - Achieved 11/11/2010
85kg mini-mini goal
80kg main goal - Hopefully before Summer starts
SamBo

Postby bne25 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:02 am

I have definitely eaten an entire pack of tim tams myself in one sitting!

That's the best thing about duromine, actually being able to pick which food you eat instead of being unable to stop! so good!

This week was also the first time in ages i went to get petrol and didn't get lollies/mms/feddos to eat in the car!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRWkmyv/]
[/url]
bne25

Postby Makenzmeet » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 am

Day....I forget. About three and a half weeks in.

Still kind of cruising on this. I am not weighing myself until this Friday with the doctor again. Nervous about that. I am hoping for another 3 kilos...in two weeks...Is that too much?
Anyhoo, my symptoms are still just the not-so-interested-in-eating ones. I do get hungry and my belly rumbles, but my brain still just says, Nah, can't be bothered. Wait until dinner. So strange! I always thought I just lacked will power (who am I kidding, I do!) but now I really am experiencing what it is like to be physically hungry rather than mentally so. I feel like I am listening to my body now and can make rational decisions to give it what it needs, rather than pacifying that lard loving brain of mine.

Hunger. I would say little by little I am getting more hungry. The first week on Duromine I almost literally could have eaten nothing and not cared. Now I definitely feel hunger, and about 4 o'clock my brain does politely ask me to give it a packet of chips. But I give it an orange and it takes the compromise with barely any sulking! I don't feel like I need to increase the dose or anything. In fact I am considering trying taking the pills every second day after 6 weeks to see how I go at keeping that side of me at bay on my own.

Mood swings...haven't had any! I am just my normal self, or possibly a bit nicer, but that's probably because I have so much time now that I am not thinking about eating or not eating all day.

Skin. Smoooooth. That is weird. Too old for pimples now, but at any time I would kind of have one little pimple...somewhere. Maybe on my forehead or cheek just a rough little bump only I could feel and not really see. Gone! Also my upper arm for years have been kind of "rough" in the skin and now they just feel super smooth like I've been loofaed or something.

Botty. Well still a little bit backed up. I pop a couple of tablespoons of Benefibre in me every day and eat at least two pieces of fruit (2 more than the old me did!). But it is certainly not debilitating, just a symptom worth mentioning.

Dry mouth. Less dry now. I am not drinking the vast quantities I was, probably only about 2 litres a day now, before I reckon I had to have about 5! If I let myself get dry I don't seem to get any headaches or anything. In fact other than the first couple of days when I felt a bit foggy I would say there has been no discomfort at all! I have had a couple of mouth ulcers in the last week. Just little ones. And I think that is probably from having a dry mouth. But I can put up with that.

Sleep. Have had a few nights up I must admit. I have always been a bad sleeper. Some nights I have had only 3 hours or so. But no tiredness during the day. Some nights I sleep longer but I do feel like it is a light sleep and more like a doze. And other nights I sleep like a dead woman for 8 long hours. Whichever one I get, I still function during the day just fine.

Body. I put some work pants on yesterday that I haven't worn for about 2 years and they fit fine. Yay! Small victory. My belly apron is getting shorter and less wobbly. I feel less constricted around my face and I know it is one of my other chins disappearing. However! Other than the person I bumped into walking out of the doctors office the other day I have not had anyone else ask me if I've lost weight (sniffle). In their defence, just before I lost this weight I had gained about 6 kilos in three months so I think now I might be at or just under a weight most people have been used to seeing me at for years. Either that or all my friends suck. : )

Ta-ra!
Makenzmeet

Postby Makenzmeet » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:38 am

Oh and I forgot to mention a very important one...

Wine. I have had a couple of "nights out" since being on the Duromine. The first time I knew I was going to have a glass or two, I didn't take my pill because I was worried about other people's experiences on posts here. But since then I have had 2 - 3 glasses on occasion. A little bit tiddly but no more than usual and I have always been a cheap drunk. Importantly: NO hangover at all. Not that I would expect one after 2 or 3 glasses of red over the course of an evening, but I was worred about the duromine thrown in there and what effect it would have: none for me!

BTW last night I was up until 4.45am. Hmmmmm, not great for a working mum of three. So a bit foggy today.

Still, in all, it is TOTALLY worth it.
Makenzmeet

Postby Makenzmeet » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:26 pm

Was a little bit (very very very) horrified on Friday when I climbed on to my doctors scales only to see that I am still 83.5 kilos. What??? Got off and stepped on again, but there it was...no loss this fortnight. Am still in a bit of disbelief about that. I have had that sort of thing happen before but I would have expected a bit of something lost in weeks 3 and 4. So I dragged my feet home and felt a bit low, but I am sticking with it because despite it not showing up on the scale, I know that at only about 1000 calories a day my body can't hold on to that weight forever, and I feel terrific. So there, body. Don't try to fool me into feeding you crap I am not buying it!

Will see doctor again in one month for another weigh in. She is not bothered and thinks 5 kilos in the first month is terrific. So maybe I should too.

Ta-Ra!
Makenzmeet

Postby Martben » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:59 pm

I am sooo glad to read your storym, I have been trolling the internet all afternoon to see someone elses not so "fabulous" duromine week. This is week 2, last week I lost 5.2kg, weighed in today (2 days short of my Thursday weigh in) only to find I had put on 2.5g!! I am horrified, as I am eating half, even a 3/4 less than before taking the pills, and I am following weight watchers points, just to be sure! Don't worry about no loss, at least it wasn't a gain!
Martben

Postby Makenzmeet » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:01 pm

OK......80.5kgs.........nearly in the 70's woo hoo!

Still no real problems. The effects definitely lessen over time but it is still helping. Once I get to about 75kgs I will take one only every other day and see what happens. Oh and I probably should start exercising a bit more then too. I don't think the weight loss has been that dramatic given that I have lost an average of about 1kg a week, but it is the most painless 1kg/week of any "diet" I ever followed.

Ta-ra!
Makenzmeet

Postby Makenzmeet » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:03 pm

Correction: it has been 7 weeks and I have lost 9 kilos. Yay me!
Makenzmeet

Postby tiddliewinkz » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:12 pm

Hey Makenzmeet

Great work so far - I have also used Duromine in the past and just have one bit of advice from my experience... The first time you use Duromine it is the most effective. I lost about 6kg in a week or two and kept it up, then went off it - maintained it for a few months, then there was a death in the family and so everyone sat around eating which got me back into my bad habits. Since then I have tried Duromine again and it never had the same effect on putting me off food. As of tomorrow I am starting again but I definately regret not making the most of sticking to my better routine.

I'm sure you'll do amazingly and I will keep looking forward to your updates xx
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wydYwIn/]
[/url]

1st goal... 65kg by the end of June 2010
2nd goal... 60kg by the end of August 2010
3rd goal... 55kg by the end of October 2010
Final goal... maintain it FOR EVER!!!
tiddliewinkz

Postby Mons » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:22 pm

This is my story, as I posted it on Wednesday:
Hi Guys

I'm new to this forum. I've been reading 25 pages of this thread. Some comments encourage me, others make me scared.
Years ago (I think it was 8 years ago) I also used Duromine and on it I lost 20kgs in 6 months. I didn't do any real exercise then, because I worked far from home and there were no time to join a gym. I was out in the mornings at 5 and only returned home after 6 at night. When I stopped using Duromine I gained everything back and more. I'm 34 years old and weighing at 83 and I'm 1.61m. I met my fiancee in the beginning of this year. We got engaged at the end of last month. So, now he starts encouraging me to lose a bit. I started last year with a gym programme and I was on Glucophage for insulin resistance. Before I start gyming I weighed in at my heaviest ever which was 96kgs. Now, since last year June, I'm weighing 83kgs. I want to lose 20kgs by December as I want to start shopping for my wedding dress. I worked out this morning I only need to lose 1.6kg per week in order for me to achieve my goal by 1 Dec. My biggest problem is I don't eat much anyway. Since I can remember there are days that I can go by without me eating anything - I know it is not healthy, but I can't seem to get myself eating. Even eating out I don't eat much. I normally have to tell my fiancee I can't eat a lot. Now, with the help of Duromine, I'm doing about 30mins cardio in the moring at the gym (lost almost 300 kcal this morning on the stepper - find I have a lot of energy). And in the afternoon after work another 30mins. I also forced myself to eat 2 apples today with an avo and a 300ml bottle of orange juice. Drank a lot of water.
I can't remember if I had any side effects, except for dry mouth and sleepless nights (though I suffer from insomnia my whole life) last time I used Duromine. I remember when I took it I only took it during the week, not over weekends, as I find myself more eating and craving when at work than at home. And also this made it easier not to get dependent on them. I just hope I won't get the moodswings as I don't want to take them out on my fiancee!

BTW this is my first day on this batch of Duromine. The last time I used it was last year, but I think my body got used to it and also I didn't exercise and I gained everything.

Keep thumbs. Any advice? I just want to lose the 1.6kg a week as to make sure I keep it off when I stop using the Duromine. I really want to look great on my wedding day, but that is a year from now, but my fiancee said he would buy me the prettiest dress when I reach my goal weight.

Thanks.

Today:

What a bummer! Can't see if I lost anything (my third day on Duromine) as I just got my monthly visitor and I'm very bloated.

Can anyone tell me how much water did you all drink during a day? I drank about 4 litres yesterday and I'm already 2 litres down for the day (and it is only 10am at the moment). I'm not much of a water drinker, but I don't like the dry mouth feeling.

I couldn't even gym this morning. So stiff. I started gyming last week Wednesday and I gymmed that whole week (Wed - Fri) and this week I exercised Monday (morning and afternoon, each 30 minutes) through Thursday. This morning when I wanted to do the stepper, I couldn't - didn't have any strength and my legs were cramping. So, my PT said I'm overdoing it. He is glad I'm dedicated, but I'm doing damage to my body. I'm supposed to only exercise 4 times a week, not 5. So, next week I exercise Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday is my rest day, exercise Thursday and Friday. I just want to lose 20kgs by December. And then keep it off when I'm off Duromine. That's why I exercise a lot, to keep my body moving.

Today I really feel crappy! Want to cry the whole time.

Any advice or encouragement from anyone??
Mons

Postby SamBo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:43 am

I've found the dry mouth thing to come and go. I've been pretty lucky I think, my side effects have been minimal. Yesterday I had a serious case of the dry-mouth but today (so far) has been fine. I normally drink at least 2L of water a day anyway, but I think I probably drank closer to 4L yesterday. This may be TMI, but I think my bladder is getting larger (is this possible?). I seem to have to pee about the same amount of times in the day as usual, but I have more each time.
30 year old male
100.1kg start weight 12/07/2010
89.8kg current weight 11/11/2010

90kg mini goal - Achieved 11/11/2010
85kg mini-mini goal
80kg main goal - Hopefully before Summer starts
SamBo

Postby Makenzmeet » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:48 am

tiddliewinkz, thank you for your honesty. I can imagine going the same way and it is good to have that in my head for when I go off the Duromine. I am realistic and even though I congratulate myself I have no doubts as to what's behind the weight loss and I am sure I am going to have to compensate for that later. I have noticed the effect have worn off dramatically since that first week. I am much hungrier especially in the afternoons and before bed that little voice is popping up more and more telling me to have some junk. Sometimes I give in a little bit but nothing like before and I am easily satisfied with a teaspoon of icecream rather than the whole tub. NB: Do not EVER try Maggie Beer's Burnt Fig Jam ice cream with honeycomb and caramel. It is impossible to stop eating it and I defy anyone to try. I just buy the boring old vanilla now.

Water. 4 or 5 litres a day no problemo in the first couple of weeks. I am sure the people in my office thought I had some horrible condition I went to the toilet so much.

No mood swings that anyone has mentioned to me, but I do sometimes and especially at night go through this thing where I think nobodly likes me! All in my head and I don't act on it but it is there and a thought I haven't often had before I was on the Duromine. I wonder if that is the paranoia I have heard mentioned? Not really a problem, just an odd uncomfortable feeling that you might have offended someone when you know you haven't. Wierd. Still TOTALLY WORH IT THOUGH!!

Ta-ra!
Makenzmeet

Postby Makenzmeet » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:51 am

Mons I easily felt crappiest my first week. Stick with it and make sure your life and routines are as normal as possible (minus the excessive eating - alkthough in your case it sounds as though that is not an issue?). Give it a couple of weeks before you give up, and good luck. xx
Makenzmeet

PreviousNext

Return to True Stories