It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:24 pm

Free Newsletter

Gastric Sleeve Success

Tell us about your weight loss successes and experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Gastric Sleeve Success

Postby newlife1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:36 pm

Just a quick introduction. My name is Lynette. I have been struggling with my weight my whole life, been on diet after diet etc, you know the usual story of obese people. But then just over two years ago I decided that enough was enough. With a BMI of 54, pre diabetic, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, arthritis and 3 protuding discs in my spine, I knew I had to do something. So took the plunge and had weight loss surgery (bariatric surgery). AND NO IT WAS NOT LAP BAND. My mum had already undergone lap band some four years previously with limited success and so I started to investigate other options. So after much research I decided to have a Sleeve Gastrectomy otherwise known as a Gastric Sleeve. This is a permanent surgical procedure where approximately 80% of your stomach is removed permanently. Now while this may sound drastric and no it is not reversable (but then why would you want it reversed cause you would only put the weight back on again), my thoughts at the time was that I did not want to struggle or be set up for failure like my mother had (always throwing up, bringing back up food that won't fit through the band), I also did not like the idea of something inside my body that needed to be adjusted etc, nor did I want one or more of the many complications that can arise with the band. And I wanted a normal life where I could eat normal foods. Often with a lap band you cannot eat the foods that are good for you because they get stuck and come back up again, ie protein, bread, pasta, rice, meat, salad, so you are limited in the amount of GOOD nutrition you can get in. ANYWAY. within the first 12 months I had lost 53kgs and my BMI is now 34. Now while I still need to get another 10-15 off at least, I am VERY HAPPY with my decision. I have gone from a size 26 to a 14-16 and some size 12s. My diabetes is gone, by bp is normal, my cholesterol is normal. I AM NORMAL. I can eat anything, but in smaller portions. My capacity for food is approximately 250mls or 1 cup in 1 session. I go out to dinner, I can still drink alcohol (not that I do that much anyway), I can eat meat, vegies, salad, bread and pasta (although choose not to eat much of that anyway). I lost approximately 70% of my excess weight within 12 months. I FEEL GREAT. I LOVE MY SLEEVE. BEST DECISION I EVER MADE.newlife1

Private message
newlife1

Re: Gastric Sleeve Success

Postby SamBo » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:09 pm

sounds quite drastic, but congrats on the weightloss.

Was this expensive? and where there any complications after the procedure?
30 year old male
100.1kg start weight 12/07/2010
89.8kg current weight 11/11/2010

90kg mini goal - Achieved 11/11/2010
85kg mini-mini goal
80kg main goal - Hopefully before Summer starts
SamBo

Postby dragonfly » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:21 pm

congrats!!! well done!

I also have tossed up the idea of lapband vs the gastric sleeve.
I have a friend who's almost at goal after a year, loosing almost 50kilos with the sleeve. she is encouraging me to go that way.
but I also have a few friends been banded and have also have great sucess too.

I would swing that way only due to the thing inside you bit, and I would hate a thing implanted in me. all other implants (birth control, belly ring etc) my body has rejected, so quite possibly the band too.
as far as costs, I would be out of pocket 1G after health fund rebates and all, so what price to pay to be skinny?

but my fear of needles has kept me away from the hospital. I got the doc referral, saw the doc, and then ran away.

kudos to you for going thru with it, and getting the life you wanted!
karin
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg
dragonfly

Postby maddys79 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:31 am

:o Wow!!! That's great news, I'm planning on getting my lapband done next year, 'round March, by then my health insurance should be able to cover some of it, hopefully, but after reading what a success your gastric sleeve was, I'm beginning to think twice 'bout getting the lapband done, and looking more towards the gastric sleeve, but like you said it does sound drastic. How long did it take for you to recover and was there much bruising?? The only reason I want to get the lapband too, is because the recovery is quick.
maddys79

Postby maddys79 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:32 am

Opps I forgot
31 years
BMI 56
current weight 151kgs
goal weight 85 kgs
maddys79

Postby nicegal » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:57 am

OUT OF INTEREST:

What Health fund supports this operation? How long would you need to be with the Health fund before you can use them for this surgery?

What is the out-of -pocket expense after funded?

Any major side effects? Is there anywhere you can look up this information?

How do you go about getting it done(who do u need to see first?)

Sorry this is new to me and interested to know more about it (even so as a LAST resort to lose weight)

If u can help with the Q'ss i'd be extemely grateful.
nicegal

Return to True Stories